The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2008, 03:37 PM   #1
jack1248

Carbide die?

I recently purchased what is supposed to be a RCBS carbide resizing die for 44 mag. on eBay. The container has the correct part no. but I am not sure that the die is actually carbide. Is there a way to identify carbide dies? The top of the die has the same markings as my standard die with the exception of the no. 68 where mine has a 75.

Last edited by jack1248; November 8, 2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: forgot brand of die.
Old November 8, 2008, 03:49 PM   #2
wncchester

For RCBS dies, the numbers 68 & 75 are the last two digits of the year of manufacture.

If any handgun die is "carbide" you can easily see a slightly different colored ring around the mouth of the die opening. If it all looks the same, it's steel, no carbide.

I've noticed that many Ebay sellers call most everthing they offer as "carbide", but it often isn't. Some sellers are lying, some are just ignorant. But "buyer beware" always applies!
Old November 8, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

The carbide die's are marked on the top CARBO. My 9mm is a 84, 44mag is 90 and the 40 S&W is marked on the side CARBIDE 4

TF
Old November 9, 2008, 06:23 AM   #4
DIXIEDOG

I have seen RCBS .30 carbine dies that were marked "Carbo" on the top and they weren't carbide, the sizing die had surface rust on the ID and since carbide will not rust I am sure they weren't carbide.

If you know it's the original box you can just look at the color, if the box is green it's a standard die set, if the box is gray it's carbide. That being said it would be easy for a seller on Ebay to switch a box, I would pass on the dies on Ebay if you want carbide and just buy a set from a reputable online retailer.
Old November 9, 2008, 05:16 PM   #5
brickeyee

Carbide handgun dies only have a small ring of carbide in the sizing die.

It is usually very visible.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:15 PM   #6
jamaica

I recently bought a new set of RCBS 44 dies.
The sizing die is marked on the side: RCBS 44 Spl & MG Carb 6

They came in a gray box. You can see that the carbide is a ring inserted into the steel.

Hope this helps.