The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2006, 09:24 AM   #1
JuanJose-Hernandez

shotgun

hello,
i have a 2 barrel shotgun that my cousin gave to me. i will use it for deer. thebarrels are not very long. what number shotgun bb's to use for deer would be the best. a man i work with said double o will work very good.
thank you
Old April 29, 2006, 10:12 AM   #2
mete

I wouldn't recommend anything but 00 Buckshot . The maximum range should be 25 yards.
Old April 29, 2006, 10:29 AM   #3
JuanJose-Hernandez

that is very close to get around here. it is very open and flat. i can usually sneek up on them pretty close. i have mostly used the 22 magnum rifle but i think i like the big shotgun better.
Old April 29, 2006, 10:39 AM   #4
hoghunting

Just so you'll know, it is against the law in Texas to use a rimfire cartridge for deer hunting.

Use 00 buck, shoot at a paper plate and see how many pellets hit the plate. Start at 20yds, then 30, 35. You will see that not many pellets hit the plate after 25 yds.
Old April 29, 2006, 12:22 PM   #5
JuanJose-Hernandez

i know. i am not doing it anymore. i only would shoot the deer in the head. i did not waste the meat or run after them. i will use the shotgun from now on till i can pay to get a 30 calibre cowboy gun.
Old April 30, 2006, 02:30 PM   #6
webbee

Let's also not forget slugs. I would use a slug on deer, long before I would use 00 buck. If it's a smooth bore double, you will want the slugs, not sabot slugs. Sabot types are used in rifle barreled shotguns.

Go to the funshow and find yourself a nice used 30-30 by Winchester or Marlin. They probably have taken more deer in Texas than any other caliber.