The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 27, 2013, 12:54 AM   #1
pumkin

?? scope rings - pacatinny or weaver ??

I have a rra 0550 varmint upper. I put it together and never got around to putting sights or scope on it. I need to get this project done. I think it has a picatinny rail, but am unsure. I've read that wever mounts will fit a picatinny, but picatinny mounts are better for a picatinny rail. Does anyone know for sure what on a rra 0550 upper? Also can you suggest a particular set of rings? I'm going to get a scope that got a 1" tube, and I want to keep the scope as low as possible. I know most people like them raised up some on ARs, but I'm thinking I want mine low. I was hoping to spend about 30-65 bucks on rings.
Old August 2, 2013, 09:06 AM   #2
gmantwo

Yes, Weaver will fit picatinny, but not the other way around. The slots are a different width, front to back. Picatinny is wider that way. Your upper will definetely be picatinny. If you use weaver rings, be sure to seat the cross braces against the front of the slot, so recoil doesn't shift your rings. As the rifle recoils back, the rings will try to move forward.
Old August 2, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3
gmantwo

Ask at your local gunshop if they have any used or no-box rings. I've got some mighty sweet, high dollar rings at great prices that way