The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 27, 2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Oquirrh

Remington "Navy" new to me

I came across a second-hand, never-fired .36 cal Remington New Army. I know it's historical accuracy is dubious, but it's .36 Cal. and has a 6 1/2" barrel, somewhat like the original Rem. Navy.

It's Pietta with a Date Code: CB. Can someone tell me the year on it?-- my chart doesn't include that recent of markings.

It has very little wear and locks tight and true. I'm going to go through it to do some minor polishing and adjusting and put proper lube on it.

It's always a little bit of a bummer to dirty a pristine gun, but I don't see any point in not using it.

Here's a photo. The Rem. "Navy" is between a Colt 1851 Navy and my old Remington 1858 Army (which has no brand marking on it beyond Navy Arms).
Old April 27, 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
w_houle

Here it is
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ight=date+code
looks to be 2007
Old April 27, 2009, 07:00 PM   #3
flatheadsal

I've had this 70's Navy Arms .36 for sale on here for a while now, maybe a nice pairing for yours, flathead
Old April 29, 2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Oquirrh

I got the nipples out -- a bear. They really crank 'em in at the factory. I put better one's in with anti-seize and test fired it 6 shots without a malfunction. I hope to take it to the range this weekend to find out what loads it likes.

And flathead, i'm interested -- check for a P.M.