The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 13, 2007, 03:32 PM   #51
FrontSight

Wasn't there, but my uncle told once of how he was rifle deer hunting on his own private land, and it was getting warm, so he opened his coat (not sure what color) and had a whte t-shirt underneath. A couple of hours later, some other hunter walks up to him and told him he nearly shot him b/c he thought the white was a deer's tail.

Not sure who's dumber in that situation. No posted signs, most likely no blaze orange, someone who would shoot at a rump, etc etc.
Old July 13, 2007, 07:35 PM   #52
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Not sure who's dumber in that situation
I am. It's the one who almost shot. It is the *shooter's* responsibility to "Be sure of your target and what is behind it". Not "have a hunch" it's a valid target, or even "be fairly certain" - it's "BE SURE" of your target; i.e that means be certain of your target. Either you clearly see that it's a game animal or you don't clearly see. Sorry for the rant; carry on.....
Old July 13, 2007, 10:18 PM   #53
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

No white tee-shirts for me, during deer season. Nor will I use a white handkerchief or Kleenex.

Late evening and iron sights can mean a funeral on its way to happening.

Art
Old July 14, 2007, 12:20 AM   #54
defence18

It depends whether or not he was on the ground. If your uncle was up in a stand, I'd be laughing my head off. If he wasn't, well, pretty stupid on both parts, but FirstFreedom covers the shooter's responsibility well.
Old July 14, 2007, 02:18 AM   #55
Fremmer

The first time I went deer hunting I wore white tennis shoes.

And yes, I did hear about it from the guys I was with that day....
Old July 14, 2007, 12:42 PM   #56
Smokey Joe

Art is right!

"No white handkerchiefs at deer camp!!" was one of the first rules I was given when I began going there as a young'un.

I acquired a couple of red bandana handkerchiefs which still get used about 2 weeks out of every year.

The white underwear ban only stands to reason. BOY, would your obit look dumb if you were shot while stripping down to take a dump in the woods! (And I don't know about anybody else but I have to at least once each deer season!)

--Smokey Joe
Old July 14, 2007, 11:07 PM   #57
olds442man

I am going on my first hunt (I am now 50) in Nov. These tips on what not to do are priceless
Old July 14, 2007, 11:40 PM   #58
Phelptwan

Out with cousing:

"Bam"

Cousing: "Oh ****"
Old July 17, 2007, 01:16 PM   #59
Steve Morgan

After hunting all morning in the rain, the American Airlines Captain that I took hunting was complaining about his new rubber boots leaking. After watching "Captain Billy" pour about 10 ounces of water out of each boot, he looked at me and said "do you think it mattered that my rain pants were tucked inside my boots?".

Think about that during your next flight
Old July 17, 2007, 01:42 PM   #60
olds442man

Quote:
"do you think it mattered that my rain pants were tucked inside my boots?".

Steve, he sounds like the kind of person that leaves the shower curtain outside the tub and wonders why the floor got wet!

Last edited by olds442man; July 17, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old July 17, 2007, 02:26 PM   #61
T3hK1w1

The guy behind the counter at a pawn shop telling me that he wouldn't hunt with a .30-06 because it was ineffective past 100 yards :barf:
Old July 17, 2007, 02:29 PM   #62
lastofthebreed

You okay?

I'm from the South and grew up squirrel hunting - still love to do it after deer season closes for the winter.

When I was about 16 years old, I saved up my pennies and bought a semi auto .22 rifle. I think I got it at the local Western Auto. ( That shows you how long ago it was.)

Went out the next morning. I had just gotten settled down under a big ole hickory tree when the squirrels started cutting on the hickory nuts. Bye and bye I managed to spy one on a limb way up near the top.

Pow! no hit, Pow! no hit, Pow, no hit.

From behind me I hear Pow! Pow! Pow!. In just a few seconds here comes a guy running through the woods toward me - scared the bejesus out of me at first.

He ran up to me, huffing and puffing like a steam engine and asks, in the most yankee accent I had ever heard "Are you okay?"

I told him I was and asked why he was running through the woods like a wild man.

He told me it was his first time hunting and the universal distress signal was three shots fired into the air and when he had seen me do that he thought I was in trouble so he was coming to my aid.

I left him there.

Old July 19, 2007, 02:18 PM   #63
Dirty_Harry

That doesn't sound that dumb to me??? I I needed help and fired shots into the air, I would want some one to come to my aid, plus he fired three shots to warn you that he was coming...so??? Maybe I missed something.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 19, 2007, 09:13 PM   #64
defence18

I think this is the funny part:
Quote:
when he had seen me do that
I would think that it would be pretty obvious when someone is shooting in distress vs. someone shooting at a squirrel when you can see them.
Old July 20, 2007, 12:52 PM   #65
olds442man

Quote:
I would think that it would be pretty obvious when someone is shooting in distress vs. someone shooting at a squirrel when you can see them.
Question is; did the guy actually see him take the shots or did he run in the general direction of the sound?
Old July 20, 2007, 02:33 PM   #66
Dirty_Harry

If he saw you, then yes, very stupid, but if he only heard you, not so stupid.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 20, 2007, 03:10 PM   #67
Smokey Joe

3 shots = Help! Help! Help!--Well.....

A number of years ago the WI Dept of Natural Resources did a study during the gun deer season, of 3-shot firings. Wardens sought out each shooter who fired 3 shots, close but evenly spaced. (No word on whether they found all such shooters--bet they did not!)

Anyhow, the finding of the study was, that 3 shots fired during daylight (when hunting deer is legal in WI) means the hunter saw a deer and missed it at least twice. That's all.

However, at night (hunting deer illegal in WI,) 3 shots meant SOS, oftener than not. Could also mean a poacher, but that's unlikely while there are a zillion hunters in the area.

IIRC from my Boy Scout days, any series of 3 in a row, where it would be unusual, is supposed to mean SOS--3 shots, 3 whistles, 3 flags, 3 fires for a rescue aircraft to spot, etc, etc. Unusual would be the key. Shots during open hunting season would hardly qualify as unusual.

I imagine that todays' outdoorsmen would generally use a cel phone or i-pod, or radio, instead. There has been at least one rescue from Mt. McKinley, in Alaska, called in by cel phone.

BUT--IMHO, the outdoorspeople of today ought to at least be aware of the low-tech signal, as well. Otherwise, what do you do after falling in the swamp, breaking a leg, and drowning every battery you have along??

--Smokey Joe
Old July 20, 2007, 04:51 PM   #68
Dirty_Harry

I don't know how though you can call for help on a cell phone. I mean you certainly can't rely on it. Heck, when I am camping I cannot get out to the rest of the world by cell phone. The only way I can is my OnStar satellite phone in my truck, but I can't carry that around lol. I think the three shots is a good rule, but I can also understand that many times you have just missed 2 or 3 times, or another hunter will ignore it. Problems, problems...

Old July 20, 2007, 04:58 PM   #69
spacemanspiff

I was buying ammo at walmart, and some guy was talking about his .45lc and how accurate it was. And how he relies on it for bear protection. He claimed he could rapid fire by fanning the hammer and keep all shots on a pie plate at 100 yards. And yes, he did plan on shooting at bears in self defense from 100 yards out.
But his Marlin 1895 in .45/70 was his main choice. He keeps like a 300 gr bullet chambered, the rest are the 'bear loads', so when he sees a bear, the first thing he will do is jack that wimpy 300 gr round out and chamber the big boys.
Old July 20, 2007, 05:11 PM   #70
FirstFreedom

Quote:
He claimed he could rapid fire by fanning the hammer and keep all shots on a pie plate at 100 yards. And yes, he did plan on shooting at bears in self defense from 100 yards out.
But his Marlin 1895 in .45/70 was his main choice. He keeps like a 300 gr bullet chambered, the rest are the 'bear loads', so when he sees a bear, the first thing he will do is jack that wimpy 300 gr round out and chamber the big boys.
is exactly right.
Old July 23, 2007, 02:36 PM   #71
USNairman

While sitting in my buddies woods deer hunting for the first time on his land I heard a loud speaker saying "customer needs assistance in the paint department". Turns out there was a hardware store about a mile through the woods and the loud speaker would echo through the hollers.
Old July 24, 2007, 11:35 AM   #72
Wild Bill Bucks

Couple of years back, my brother and I were driving down a country road, and had a big doe jump out in front of us. I hit her with the truck and she hit the ground pretty hard. Being a couple of guys who don't waste meat, we jumped out of the truck, prepared to clean her. All of a sudden she jumped up and started running down the road. She was limping a little,and we figured she would run off and die, so we got back in the truck, and hit her again. This time knocking her down in a bar ditch. We jumped out of the truck and as we got to her, looked up and noticed we had knocked her down in front of a house. There were a man and his wife sitting on their porch watching this whole thing happen, so we decided it would probably be the best to explain what had happened, and ask them if they would like to split the meat with us. As we were talking to the man, he told us that he would gladly take 1/2 the meat, but that his half had just jumped up and took our half back into the woods with her.
Old July 24, 2007, 07:22 PM   #73
Crow61

There was this one guy who lived near me when I was growing up. He always talked of 300 pound bucks that he had seen or killed. I never saw any of them. Yes, he killed a lot of deer. But, I doubt that many came close to 200 pounds much less 300. This was in South Alabama mind you.

There was this crazy woman that would drive up and down the road where we hunted blowing her car horn to "scare" the deer away from the hunters. If she saw a truck parked beside the road, she would sit down on the horn!

I had a live trap that I had built and put down close to a branch. It was public land, but we had it pretty much to ourselves. The trap was very heavy being made out of wood. Well, somebody carried it out of the woods and left it hidden by the trail. I guess they were going to come back and get it later. I am sure that they got tired toating it up the hill to where they left it. Anyway, my uncle and I spotted it when we were coming out of the woods one afternoon, so we just carried it about 30 yards to where our car was parked. We went back to the place we found it and left a note thanking whoever for bringing so far out of the woods for us. We didn't sign it though!
Old July 27, 2007, 11:49 PM   #74
Crosshair

Crow61

There was this crazy woman that would drive up and down the road where we hunted blowing her car horn to "scare" the deer away from the hunters. If she saw a truck parked beside the road, she would sit down on the horn!

Haha. If anything, she was helping the hunters over the long term. Getting the deer acclimated to car sounds and loud noises so they wouldn't be spooked. Deer walk onto the local range to eat the grass while people are shooting, they have become so acclimated to the gunfire. Though once deer season comes around........
Old July 28, 2007, 12:16 AM   #75
Fat White Boy

Spaceman- It sounds like a guy who has been kicked off most forums named "GunKid"...