The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 12, 2016, 06:07 PM   #1
BC Buck

Is this BS

Just saw a email from a AR suppler offering a plastic wedge for .50 cents. Said it goes under your break down pin and is suppose to improve accuracy. Does this really do anything?
Old September 12, 2016, 06:10 PM   #2
rickyrick

It keeps the upper and lower from wobbling, but never used one.
Old September 12, 2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Ozzieman

I have a rubber one on my AR. I have no idea if it dose anything for accuracy but it does keep it tight. Since the barrel and receiver will move that small amount allowed for the loose fit it should effect accuracy but how much I would have no idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR 15.jpg (226.0 KB, 112 views)

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 12, 2016, 06:45 PM   #4
turtlehead

I use the AccuWedges. Keeps the receivers tight. Doesn't improve accuracy but makes you irresistible to women. Kind of a burden, really.
Old September 12, 2016, 07:34 PM   #5
CarJunkieLS1

For my AR's that have a little wobble in them I just take a rubber O-ring and place it around the tab on the upper that the front take down pin goes through. Its cheap easy to remove and replace and it works.
Old September 12, 2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Old Bill Dibble

Yes it can improve accuracy if the upper and lower are sloppy and loose together. You might think that it would not make a difference because the upper has the sights on it.

The reason it is more accurate is because if you have the stock tucked in tight to your shoulder the upper will be moving around in small degrees enough to make your groups quite wide.

A better way would be to have a good upper and lower with good pins that hold it together tightly.
Old September 12, 2016, 07:40 PM   #7
jmr40

As said it does prevent the wobble between the upper and lower that is present in some AR's. Some don't have any wobble. If the upper and lower are moving around some as you're trying to shoot I could see it effecting accuracy. They're 50 cents. At worst you out a half dollar, it might help, it might not, but it won't hurt anything either.
Old September 12, 2016, 08:37 PM   #8
reynolds357

It improves accuracy if you have a poorly fit upper. If you have a tight fit upper, it is a waste of .50.
Old September 13, 2016, 08:00 AM   #9
Ibmikey

Throw your lower in the parts bin and replace it with a Gen 2 Aero Precision lower which comes with a nylon tipped screw to take up any looseness betwween upper and lower. Fixed your problem and it only cost you:
$20. Transfer
$ 89. Receiver
$ tax If you live in Wa.
$ 7 Shipping
Now the wiggleis gone And it only cost $116 + - for the fix.
Old September 13, 2016, 08:26 AM   #10
rpseraph

It depends a lot on how you shoot it. If you shoot off of a bipod, or a rest... most of the weight is on the front end and it will stave off a lot of the wiggle between upper and lower receiver. If, as Old Bill Dibble said, you have the stock tucked in your shoulder, not on a rest of some kind, will allow for the upper and lower to wiggle a bit.

I have used these wedges before, I have one in an AR at home. Does it add to accuracy? I don't know that I have noticed a measurable amount of accuracy improvement, but who likes wiggle? They do help with wiggle, for what it's worth.
Old September 13, 2016, 11:26 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Since the barrel and receiver will move that small amount allowed for the loose fit it should effect accuracy but how much I would have no idea.
I don't see how it could affect the mechanical accuracy at all. Your sights, either irons or optics are solidly mounted to the upper group, with the barrel. The amount of play/wiggle/slop between the upper and the lower have NO effect on that.

SO, since the sights and the barrel are constantly firmly fixed together, the accuracy (shooting to the sights) is not changed in any way by a $0.50 piece of rubber or plastic in the lower.

If I'm wrong about that, please, enlighten me...
Old September 13, 2016, 11:44 PM   #12
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
Keep in mind I am in no way endorsing the product. It is a poor solution to the problem.

You are not wrong in theory. I used to think much the same way. The difference is in actual practice.

ETA -

The reason it is different in practice is because your lining up three things: The front sight post, rear sight post and the shooters eye. The eye should not move as there should be a weld with the lower stock. That is where the problem comes in.

If the lower moves around then the alignment will change. How much is the question? A badly off lower might move 1/8" of an inch at the rear. This is quite a lot at range. An experienced shooter "might" be able to maintain the same sight picture and overcome this. However the change will likely be barely perceptible to most people. An untrained or low skill shooter will be much worse off. You will still be in the area but your AR-15 will get Ranch Rifle type accuracy. I have seen group open up as much as 4" at 25 meters with banged up old GI rifles.

Last edited by Old Bill Dibble; September 14, 2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old September 14, 2016, 05:47 AM   #13
mehavey

I have Accuwedges in all my AR actions (except the "M4-ish" carbine).
It does tighten everything to where it feels like solid unit.

That said, a piece of pencil eraser would do just as well.
Old September 14, 2016, 05:53 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

I am far from any kind of expert but I would think it might help. I would think that the inertia from releasing the hammer might cause the upper to move ever so slightly before the round goes off that it might have an effect on accuracy. But, who knows for sure.
Old September 14, 2016, 07:18 AM   #15
Mobuck

If I encounter a combination that fits so sloppily that I feel it's a problem, I start sorting through the rack for a better fitting combo. I've encountered "too tight" far more often than "too loose". The only time I was totally flumuxed was an upper that the previous owner had "reamed to fit". The final outcome of that was a complete stripping of the upper and selling it "as is".
Old September 14, 2016, 07:09 PM   #16
Ozzieman

Quote:
since the sights and the barrel are constantly firmly fixed together
Like I said, I have no idea it improves accuracy but I do like the tight fit between the upper and lower.
But even if the sights are locked to the barrel. When the gun is fired can the barrel end move upward as the rear of the upper moves down to where the upper and lower meet before the bullet leaves the barrel.
To me is seems it could (no idea one way or the other) improve accuracy. But,,,,, is there time for that to happen before the bullet leaves the barrel?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 15, 2016, 07:54 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

If your cheek weld is to the lower.
If your grip is half on the lower.
If your upper is moving.
I don't see how that can be accurate.

Of course, if you clamp the upper in a vise it will be just as accurate with or without a wedge, but in someones hands I don't see how it could be.

Slung in prone with tension on the two parts it might not make a difference either.

I don't know because so far I've had the upper and lower match up quite well.
Old September 15, 2016, 10:22 AM   #18
kraigwy

Quote:
Attend a major high power match. Check with those on the leader boards.

You wont find any such gismos on their rifles.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 15, 2016, 10:22 AM   #19
RickB

I have an "Accuwedge" in my AR, it does remove the rattle, but not really by "tightening", since the wedge is forcing apart the upper and lower.
I've seen an eccentric rear pin that will draw the upper and lower closer together to remove the rattle, and that seems like a better, if much more expensive, solution.
If anyone wants to try the Accuwedge, I have one in the paperclip tray on my desk and will mail it to the first person to PM their mailing address.
Old September 15, 2016, 01:07 PM   #20
Erno86

You can use a foam ear plug that sits inside the receiver, just underneath the rear takedown pin --- Use gun oil to make it stick better.

My tight fitting Rock River and Smith & Wesson AR's don't need wedges.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; September 15, 2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old September 15, 2016, 03:08 PM   #21
dgludwig

QUOTE: "Attend a major high power match. Check with those on the leader boards.

You wont find any such gismos on their rifles."

I shoot occasionally at Camp Perry. You will find a few competitors on the leader board who use the AccuWedge "gizmos". I know because I asked about them when I was setting my rifle up for competition. Nobody claimed it made them more accurate but the consensus seemed to be "why not; no harm in using it" if the fit seems "loose" (most agreed, though, that a rifle set up for serious competition should be "tight" from the get-go).

But, if there is some slop in your rifle, like rpseraph asked (rhetorically), "Who likes wiggle?"
Old September 15, 2016, 03:16 PM   #22
dahermit

I seem to remember my Colt H-Bar, Match Target coming with (was standard from Colt) a Red Accu Wedge.
Old September 15, 2016, 03:29 PM   #23
Old Bill Dibble

The foam ear plug is an old Army trick.
Old September 15, 2016, 03:54 PM   #24
rickyrick

It goes against reason that sloppy fitting AR uppers can be just as accurate as no slop, but that seems to be how ARs are.
Most other rifles would suffer accuracy degradation if there was slop between the stock and the reciever
Old September 15, 2016, 05:08 PM   #25
turtlehead

Because they're snugged up when you're shooting them.

I'd rather have a perfectly tight fit, though. As a mental thing.