The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2010, 11:24 AM   #1
srkavanagh6621

Benelli M2 field Opinions

Still in the market for a new shotgun and was wondering what you all though about the Benelli M2 field. I would get the synthetic model and just wanted to know if anyone has had trouble with it or what there thoughts were. I held the gun and it sure pulled up nice and felt like it wouldnt be a pain to lug around. other guns that I like were the Browning maxus which also pulled up very nice. I was considering a winchester SX3 also but did not feel right when i held it. Thoughts and opinions would be great thanks.
Old November 17, 2010, 12:35 PM   #2
BigJimP

I have a few Benelli's - but not the model you are looking at - mine are all Super Sport models.

In general, its tough to tell if a gun really fits you in the store. One thing you should really do - is shoot a few different guns ( and then find out the specs on the ones you like / drop at comb, drop at heel, length of pull ) - and then look at the new specs on the guns - and pick the one that closest matches what you found you liked when you fired them. Ideally you should fire them at a pattern board - so you can really see if the guns are hitting where you look.

Sometimes feel comes down to the little things - is there a palm swell / or not - but the size of the grip area / the size of the trigger guard ....all that can make a difference.

Weight is a big deal / and check where each gun is balanced at ... some are a little more forward / some are a little more to the butt ...it depends on where you like the balance point. Sight plane and weight combine to give you the swing characteristics you want -- I'm a big guy ( 6'5" and 290 lbs ) and a 30" barrel to me on a semi-auto is just right ...and I like a gun, especially a 12ga around 8 1/2 lbs ... and if I go with a barrel that is too short / or a gun that's too light --- it gets "whippy" to me on the follow thru as opposed to nice and smooth.

You can add weight to a light gun / but hard to go lighter on a heavy gun.

My Benelli Super Sport is 7.2 lbs with a 30" barrel ...so I usally add 8 oz under forend / and 8oz in stock ... / on the other hand, taking the weight out ---if I was going to carry it all day walking thru sugar beet fields ...I might take the extra lb out ...is an option.

The inertia guns ( Benelli ) all shoot a lot cleaner than even the newest of the gas guns. Benelli is easy to completely strip / take trigger group out, etc ...clean and have it back into battery in easily 10 min. Gas guns tend to be a little fussier ...but the newer ones are way better than the Browning Auto 5's of my youth too ....

But that's how I'd recommend you go about selecting a new gun ....not what fits me ....what fits you. Its not really about who made it - when you're talking decent companies like Browning, Winchester, Beretta or Benelli - all 4 companies make good guns ( and Browning - Winchester are both part of the same corporation ) - and Beretta owns Benelli too ... I don't think there is much difference between the Browning and Winchester semi-autos today / but there is a big difference between the Beretta gas guns and Benelli's Inertia guns ...
Old November 19, 2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Hig789

Get the super black eagle. Same feel but 3.5" option. I have a sbe 1 and I wouldn't take any amount of money for it. Buy a benelli what ever you do, you will be in love the first time u shoot it.
Old November 19, 2010, 10:22 PM   #4
srkavanagh6621

Thanks that's some encouraging advice! I really do love the feel of them but haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet. I might try a friends out sometime soon.
Old November 21, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5
SumToy Custom Barrel

They are good guns. I think they one of the best in the the Benelli line. The rest of them are way to much. You get more name then you get gun.