The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2016, 08:31 PM   #1
chaim

Bought a new CZ P01

I've long been a CZ fan, yet I've only owned two. I have had my CZ 75B for quite some time now (15 years plus or minus a year or so), and I used to own a CZ 40B. I really wanted a PCR (and have wanted one for, well, about 15 years) but they are quite hard to find. So, I ended up buying a green CZ P01 last week (they had one in green and one in black next to each other, and I kind of liked the green).

When I'm in states where I can carry on my UT non-resident permit this will often be the gun that comes with me, so some questions (primarily for those with a PCR or P01) for setting it up for carry.

The Grips:
I actually love the rubber grips. They'll be great with sweaty hands at keeping the gun solidly in my hand. However, I have only used rubber grips on a CCW gun on a revolver, and they were a hard rubber and not the grippy rubber on this CZ. So, those who have carried the PCR, P01 or any CZ with CZ rubber grips, are these suitable for CCW? With how tacky they are, I can see them grabbing on the cover garment and becoming an issue for carry. For this reason, as much as I like the rubber, I'm thinking about either the standard CZ plastic grips, or some nice checkered wood.

Holsters:
What is your preference? I like IWB carry, and I do carry a SIG P250 Compact in .45 (similar width, and actually a tad thicker) IWB tucked so I'm sure the P01 will be fine with a good holster. However, I'm having trouble deciding between kydex, leather, or a hybrid. Normally, I prefer kydex or hybrids with a polymer gun, and nice leather for a metal gun. However, with the rather functional (and green) polycoat CZ finish, I'm not as sure of going with my regular preferences. Right now, I'm leaning towards either a leather holster from High Noon Holsters, or a Theis hybrid. What do you prefer and/or use?

Sights:
CZ sights do tend to be a little on the small side. However, with how well CZs fit my hands, it doesn't hurt accuracy. My most accurate gun in my hands (by far) is my CZ 75B. Usually, I do prefer night sights on my defensive guns. However, to deal with both the potential grip issue (above) and to have sights that work well in low and no light situations, I'm considering going with Crimson Trace laser sights/grips on this gun.

As for a range report, that will have to wait. MD has an annoying waiting period and I can't pick it up until Wednesday, and since I teach evening school on Wednesdays I won't actually be able to pick it up until Thurs.

Last edited by chaim; September 17, 2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old September 17, 2016, 09:18 PM   #2
TunnelRat

For CZs I love VZ grips, either the tactical diamonds or the frag pattern. They fit and feel great and even if you have large hands to me they make the reach on CZ pistols that much better in DA. They're also been surprisingly tough in terms of scratching and solvents in my experience.

For holsters I'm a fan of the AlienGear Cloak Tuck 3.0. The name's a bit of a mouthful but the neoprene backing on the kydex/rubber front is very comfortable and to me not overly bulky. They can be had for any number of pistols and if you swap out the shells you can change it for different pistols too (the shell swaps are free minus the return shipping on the shell you're swapping). Like most holster companies today they have a 30 day no hassle trial period so if you don't like it you can send it back and just be out shipping. I've been wearing one since they came out and it still looks and works great and to me is a big step up in quality over their earlier 2.0 model.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 18, 2016, 11:03 PM   #3
1hogfan83

I went with skinny wood and sent mine to cajun gunworks to put some mepro night sights among other things. I would go with the alien gear or stealth gear. For the money alien gears holsters are durable. I carry mine in a old faithful, same difference, just different color. I know a guy who carries his glock 19 in a stealth, he let me try it and it disappeared. The P-01 is a tad bit heavy for a compact gun, the stealth spreads the weight and let's you breath. You made a good choice, but I think I'm the only person that despises those rubber grips.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old September 18, 2016, 11:52 PM   #4
noonesshowmonkey

+1 to the VZ grips. G10 is the cats pajamas. Screw wood and rubber, thats so 20th century.

Honestly.

Fiber glass impregnated resin mold plastic 1) doesn't absorb any sweat 2) is shock resistant as all hell 3) is a great thermal insulator 4) is many times grippier than either wood or plastic.

Get some VZ / whoever G10s and don't look back.
Old September 19, 2016, 08:03 AM   #5
jackstrawIII

Congrats on the P-01, one of the greatest 9's out there. I have checkered Walnut grips on mine (bedstand gun) and love it. For CCW, I'd probably go with G10 or the like. I too don't like the rubber grips.
Old September 19, 2016, 10:03 AM   #6
chris in va

I've had CZ's for a while and my P01 for a few years now. The rubber grips are fine for me with OWB carry, no issues with snagging.

I usually end up 'tweaking' my CZ's in some way but
the only thing I've done so far is install a slightly lighter hammer spring and front red fiber optic sight. Everything else is just as I like it.
Old September 19, 2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Pilot

I have owned and carried a CZ-75D PCR since 2000. It is similar to the P-01 without the rail, and a few other minor differences. I have left it totally stock, even with the rubber grips. I do carry it mostly OWB with an untucked shirt to conceal it.

The P-01, and PCR are my two favorite, all around 9MM's out there.
Old September 19, 2016, 02:28 PM   #8
Neal_G.

I've owned a PCR before, and still own a SP-01 and CZ 75 Compact. For grips, I'll second the VZ grips, their fantastic. Very grippy, and they thin out the gun a bit for carry. I'd recommend a lighter main spring at the very least just to improve the DA pull. For sights, I'd just replace them with the same Tru-Dot night sights the SP-01's come with, they work much better than the terrible stock sights.

The P-01 is a helluva gun, maybe the best all round CZ for range, carry, HD and combat use. Just a few tweeks and uprgrades will really make her shine. Coincidentally, I went to a new LGS yesterday hoping to see a P-01 on the chance that I might buy it. However, they only had the PCR which surprised me. I ended up with the Walther PPS M2 I've been craving, so that eased the pain!
Old September 19, 2016, 08:16 PM   #9
jaytothekizzay

Love my PCR. Took me 3 years to get one. Im gonna look into the CZ custom aluminum grips

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk