The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 26, 2013, 09:44 AM   #26
Ritz

Until you wound one. They can (and sometimes do) go after folks and they are a force to be reckoned with when riled.
Old December 26, 2013, 05:46 PM   #27
Rascall

A 110gr. Fusion or 120gr. SST bullet in 6.8 caliber put in the neck or ear helps to prevent that.

Rascal
Old December 27, 2013, 02:42 PM   #28
bcarver

I got a 6.8 spc and am loading the 110 nosler accubond for hunting but this upper is for exterminating varmits, (coyotes,hogs,bobcats,amidillos,coons and self defense from bigfoots or anything that will kill turkeys).
Old December 28, 2013, 08:51 AM   #29
rogn

Totalloser, didn't you mean scapulae? If i recall pigs don't have collar bones. Not trying to be an a#$ , just bring to clarify. And yes all sorts of debris is found in animals from time to time. Sounds like they needed a bigger 30.
Old December 28, 2013, 01:30 PM   #30
Ritz

Re: 6.8spc

Ah...assumed it was 5.56. 6.8 ought to be fine for hogs with a 110gr bullet with decent expansion.
Old December 28, 2013, 03:50 PM   #31
ftttu

My empty (no mag inserted) Ruger SR-556 with a Lucid HD-7 sight, a Blue Force Gear sling and a Magpul vertical forearm grip weighs exactly 10 lbs. A little heavy, but it wasn't a deal breaker.
Old December 30, 2013, 09:49 AM   #32
Skans

Quote:
I'm sorry but that just cracks me up . There are firearms I own that keeping the chamber very clean , lubing the cases , counting one-one thousand between shots and the rifle still only working 95% of the time IS NOT good enough . That would be any AR or HD/SD firearms .
What world are you living in? I'll take 95% for range plinking during an ammo shortage, which is all I use steel cased ammo for. It's not like the paper target is going to draw down on me and blow my head clean off my shoulders if I have a stuck case that I can't clear in 5 seconds. I see no point in wasting brass ammo that costs twice as much as the Russian stuff. Yes, I'll put up with a little inconvenience to save a lot of money.........when shooting aluminum cans and paper targets.
Old December 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #33
Metal god

Thanks for clearing that up but my point was not about steel cased ammo . I stand buy what I'm willing to except with a few of my firearms regardless of what ammo I use . Keeping the chamber very clean , lubing the cases , counting one-one thousand between shots and a 5% or at least once per mag fail rate is not good enough for me . To be honest I have not shot much steel out of any of my ARs . Maybe a couple hundred rounds so I may have the very same issue as you I just have not shot it enough to notice .

Anyways I did not mean to come off sounding jerk-ish . It's just that I hate when anything goes wrong with a firearms I'm shooting . Sling not working or attached right , something comes loose etc etc . If the gun stops working all together , well that makes me want to put it deep in the back of the safe never to see the light of day again . I have a Jennings 22lr pistol that Never comes out because it fails way to much unless I shoot CCI stingers out of it .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 30, 2013, 02:03 PM   #34
Skans

Thanks, MG. I didn't mean to come off sounding like a jerk either. I shoot the cheapest stuff I can find out of most of my guns for practice, with a couple of exceptions. I no longer shoot wolf out of my AC556 because parts are just too expensive to replace, and even though it's never hurt the AC556 it's not worth taking the chance. But, in my pistols AR build, Carbon 15 and AK, I shoot Wolf almost exclusively....even in my Sig X-Five. The Carbon 15 will digest it, but cases will stick if the chamber gets too dirty - lube helps.

Believe me, I'd love to go back to shooting all brass!!!

On another note, that's too bad about your Jennings J-22. I took my 20+ old J-22 out about 2 months ago and fired about 50 rounds through it - cheap Remington .22lr. After 20 years, the thing still runs flawlessly. I keep it well oiled while shooting and spray cleaner in the chamber to keep it clean after about 2-3 magazines.

I know that you are not supposed to oil your cartridges. But, with guns that I know are prone to fte or stuck shells, it seems to help.

Last edited by Skans; December 30, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old December 30, 2013, 06:46 PM   #35
Niner4Tango

I assembled a lightweight carbine that weighs 5 lbs 12.7 oz:

Bushmaster Superlite barrel
A1 upper
Surplus Ammo & Arms lower
Model 1 CAR Fiberlite stock

It's an all-metal "Keep It Simple, Stupid" rifle and is my cheapest build and favorite AR to shoot.
Old January 1, 2014, 12:04 AM   #36
totalloser

Rogn-

Yeah, that's what I meant. (Dur ) We speculated that they could have been something light like 30-30, but all three were jacketed. Looked like soft points, but hard to tell. At least one was big. I load .308 in 150 grain projectiles and one was together enough to guesstimate that it was in the 200 grain range so we figured 30-06. Tough pig.