The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 10, 2009, 07:50 AM   #1
LordofWar

HK - G3

This reliable & robust rifle with a potent calibre, has made it's mark in conventional warfare but I think the days are numbered for this one because of a shift in war tactics and scenarios and the rifle is not suited for such a situation (CQC for one).

Can a G3 be adapted for modern warfare with modifications or is just another assault rifle with a glorious past but no future waiting to get scraped once the government using it get the means to acquire an alternate?
Old May 10, 2009, 09:03 AM   #2
4thPointofContact

You'd have to define what you mean by "adapted" and by "modern warfare".

The continued use of the M14-system in Iraq and Afghanistan, lends credence to the idea of using a 7.62 NATO under certain circumstances. It's not optimum for CQC, but that's why a modern military uses several classes of weapons.

Did you mean can some sort of M1913 rail system be cobbled together to replace the fore end on an H&K? If so, I don't see why not, one is/has been developed for other firearms that have similar fore ends.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:58 AM   #3
LordofWar

Adapted: To make suitable to or fit for a specific use or situation.

Modern Warfare is too dynamic a term to be put into a single post. We do not have the typical war scenario anymore with armies facing each other at thier respective positions and at full throttle with each other. Now it's all about guirella warfare, small patrols and smaller group of insurgents, terrorists fighting & fleeing, combat in an urban environment & close quarters etc.

Its all come down to surgical strikes.

Piccatiny rails & mounts suiting the contemporary needs are exactly what the G3 needs if/when an army is using it. The stock should be collapsible since it's a hassle for the soilder to carry & use the firearm in a vehicle. Moreover magazine capacity should be increased from a mere 20 to 30 rounds.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:50 PM   #4
raimius

Do you mean a carbine version, like the G3KA4?
Perhaps something more like a PTR-91SC? (although I'd assume you are talking about select-fire)
I know Schwaben Arms made G3 clones with varying styles, but I cannot find their website.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:59 PM   #5
LordofWar

G3KA4 indeed with properoptics would do the job. Above all the calibre is a far superior if compared to 7.62x39mm in every way.