The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 10, 2010, 08:55 PM   #1
seed

Mac 10 (or 11) top versus side cocker

I did a search here and elsewhere (including uzitalk) and could not find any threads on the advantages of top vs. side cockers. I was hoping people here could chime in and let me know. I would ask over at uzitalk, but I don't have an account and generally don't like to sign up at places unless I actually own or owned the firearm(s) about which they are talking. I may have no choice though.

Thanks.
Old August 10, 2010, 09:37 PM   #2
S&W Kinda Guy

Heres a thread on the topic at Uzi Talk talking about Mac-10's.
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/archiv...p/t-26872.html

That might be able to help you a little.
Old August 11, 2010, 12:00 AM   #3
seed

Thanks, it did. But please excuse my ignorance, but on the semi-auto closed bolts, does the charging handle ride with the bolt like on the open-bolts or does it stay forward during firing?

Also, what is your preference when it comes to side versus top styled charging handles? And why?
Old August 11, 2010, 02:56 AM   #4
kozak6

Not all side cockers are the same.

The biggest difference is that side-cockers can allow the use of optics.
Old August 11, 2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Skans

Quote:
but on the semi-auto closed bolts, does the charging handle ride with the bolt like on the open-bolts or does it stay forward during firing?
The charging handle rides with the bolt on both the open bolt and closed bolt Mac10's (technically M10). The difference is that the open bolt has a fixed firing pin and the closed bolt has a sprung/floating firing pin that is struck with an internal hammer.
Old August 11, 2010, 08:46 AM   #6
seed

So the charging handle does ride with the bolt during firing on the closed-bolt version. Well I've seen some pictures of side-cockers with a rather large handle that looks like there is a decent possibility of it hitting something while firing...unless the shooter is holding the gun far out enough with a careful enough hold so as to not accidentally get in the way of the bolt handle. Is this a legitimate concern?

Also, kozak6 said that "not all side cockers are the same". What did you mean exactly?
Old August 11, 2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Skans

Quote:
So the charging handle does ride with the bolt during firing on the closed-bolt version.
Yes, I've owned both a closed bolt Mac and an open bolt Mac - used to take them apart and compare the way they were manufactured. I recently sold the closed bolt Mac - (made in Stephensville TX) but still have the open bolt one. Someone got a good deal on that closed bolt Mac - I just didn't want it anymore.
Old August 11, 2010, 10:23 AM   #8
jmorris

I put a Jpoint red dot on my M10 (top cock) but that is about as large of an optic that will fit.
Old August 11, 2010, 05:53 PM   #9
seed

Has anyone had problems with the side-cocker handle moving when firing, i.e. it hitting something and possibly causing a malfunction?
Old September 24, 2010, 10:51 PM   #10
The Rage

no problems with side cockers. the charging handle usually stays forward while under fire. we sell a lot of them without any issues.