The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2015, 09:52 AM   #1
jchadwick

Question on Selling Inherited Reloading Equipment, DFW

Hello forum. I am a new poster. After the recent passing of a family member we have inherited a significant amount of reloading supplies including single stage/multi stage presses, discs, dies, bullets, scales, primers, powder, casting molds, and many other loose items. Unfortunately we don't know much about it and even less about how to get rid of it. We'd prefer not to simply trash it b/c some of this may hold some value as price tags are on several dies, etc.

We are in the Fort Worth area.

What is the best way to sell equipment and supplies like this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old June 1, 2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Doyle

Here is what I would do if I were in your situation. I would look at the "major" components (presses, dies, tools, unopened powder containers, full boxes of bullets, etc.) and simply search on Google for what that item is selling for new right now. Take all that together and price the entire bundle of that plus the misc stuff that you didn't try to value and put a price of about 60% on it. Take lots of pictures and place an add in your local Craigslist.
Old June 1, 2015, 10:20 AM   #3
wogpotter

I don't know if you're on any social media (like "FaceBook") but many of them have reloading pages where trading buying selling & so on are done.

Best tips I can think of are Google for the items to get a value, sell as individual items not lots, & price to move. Shipping should be individual as lots of that stuff is surprisingly fragile & heavy to ship. Materials that are "active", like powders & primers are problematic to ship.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 1, 2015, 10:21 AM   #4
jchadwick

Doyle, thank you very much for the reply. That is very helpful information on finding prices on what we have, etc.

Unfortunately the Craigslist policy considers any and all reloading supplies as prohibited.
Old June 1, 2015, 10:23 AM   #5
catgunguy

Another place to get pricing is e-Bay. There is a lot of reloading stuff on it all the time.
Old June 1, 2015, 10:27 AM   #6
StripesDude

What brands of presses and dies are they? I may be interested.

Can you tell if most of it is rifle or pistol loading equipment?

I'm on the other side of the metroplex, but wouldn't mind a trip to FW.
Old June 1, 2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Jim243

Rent a table at the Fort Worth Gun Show, you should be able to sell out all the reloading stuff. The date is June 20 & 21st.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/texas_gu...fe_shows.shtml

Good luck on your sale.
Jim
Old June 1, 2015, 10:30 AM   #8
jchadwick

A bit more details here....
-Lyman, Lee single stage, Texan single stage, Harmony Pro-Sector progressive presses
-#1, 2, 6, 16, 30 discs
-Dies: Harmony .38, RCBS .45 Colt, RCBS .45-70, RCBS 243 WSSN, RCBS 303 British, RCBS .223 Remington, Hornady .45, Lee 9mm, Lee .44 Mag
-Lee wooden bullet molds all calibers (over 10 of these)

Greatly appreciate the good advice provided by all. Can continue to gather more details for future posts.
Old June 1, 2015, 10:38 AM   #9
Marty8613

I'm in Grapevine and looking for just this sale! Let me know when and where and I'll be there with bells on! Since I haven't reloaded yet, I can't help with pricing it all out though.
Old June 1, 2015, 10:42 AM   #10
F. Guffey

I know three dealers that will purchase all of for one price. That happens when someone is looking for convenience as in not having to deal with it. I suggest doing research, getting help with prices.

F. Guffey
Old June 1, 2015, 10:50 AM   #11
Doyle

I had forgotten that Craigslist "officially" prohibits reloading supplies. However, here in MS nobody seems to care. I see them frequently.
Old June 1, 2015, 12:23 PM   #12
rg1

Try to search and get an estimate of the entire lot of equipment and components. Decide on an asking price for the entire lot. Sell only the entire lot together. It'd be a pain to try to part out and ship all the separate items. It'd get picked over and you'd be stuck with items not wanted. Don't ask new prices but don't sell too cheap. Might try this site along with others mentioned.
http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/dallas-texas
Place ads in reloading sections or in forums in the "for sale-classified section". Careful dealing with unknowns! Meet at a public open place to sell-transfer or ship only after "payment received".

Last edited by rg1; June 1, 2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old June 1, 2015, 02:50 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

If your family member had a shooting buddy, talk to 'em.
You do not want to be selling reloading stuff anywhere but locally. Powder and primers are considered to be hazardous goods and have a serious Hazmat fee added to already high shipping costs.
Don't let anybody try to get you to ship outside the States either. Reloading components require a Federal permit. Equipment is ok, but not worth the extra shipping cost.
E-Bay finances the people who want to take your firearms away from you. E-Bay is an evil, anti-firearm ownership empire.
Old June 1, 2015, 04:02 PM   #14
jchadwick

Thank you all very much for the fast, informative replies. I will get some pictures and a more detailed list of items together along with pricing after research. More to come on this topic from me.
Old June 3, 2015, 02:45 PM   #15
skizzums

I cant say specifically w/o pics. But the molds will likely pull around 10-13$ a piece if all LEE two cavities. More cavities about 10$ a hole. A new lee mold only runs in the low 20's. As for dies, I am not familiar with the brand, but I pay around 30-40$ on die sets, and would probably be willing to pay 20-25$ for used. Unless they are of a high dollar brand or odd calibers, you could have a few gems. Get some pics up and folks here will give you a fair pricing, and most likely buy them as well.

Nevermind, just saw all your brands of dies and they are of the pricier kind. I agree to just look them up as new, and cut the cost by 40%.
Old June 3, 2015, 02:48 PM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Find someone who shoots and reloads. Ask them to help you price the items.