The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 29, 2007, 11:14 AM   #26
44capnball

Quote:
100 years ago the guns didn't look like that. They were new.
When they were new.

In the old, old days a lot of guns came with a brown finish instead of blue.

Also, I found out from experience, an old gun with a blued finish in a cold slightly damp area can get a brown finish. Set for 15 years and it can turn. I don't know what does it, not all guns turn but a lot do. Well a lot depends on the blueing but the older blues seem more prone to it.

I have an old 22 rifle, it was blue but now it is a nice plum brown. I think it didn't pit because it was oiled real good when put away.

If a bp revolver was had for 15-20 years, and used a lot, I'd wager it could turn out lookin' antiqued. But, either way I think it looks neat.
Old January 6, 2008, 09:29 PM   #27
Cofaler

Looks great, 44. We're doing the metal work right now and will hopefully be finishing in a couple weeks. We're going to leave the '61 Sherriff alone since it came blued and antique my '51 Navy. I'll keep you posted with pics when I get it done.

Personally, I like 'ugly' guns, guns with character. I buy lots of used guns, very seldom new. I would never take steel wool to a new gun to make it look used, but I would probably buy one someone else did (don't ask me to explain that one). Scratches just come with the territory. I spent a ton of time finishing a new Boyd's stock for one of my Garands last year and put a huge gouge in the rear handguard putting the clip on. I was pretty ticked when I did it but now I just live with it, no big deal.
Old January 12, 2008, 06:12 PM   #28
Tom2

I dunno, Bill, maybe 90 years ago, after riding around in an open leather holster or in a saddle bag for 10 years, they started to look like that?
Old January 14, 2008, 09:02 PM   #29
long rider

Make your 58 look old

Hey Hawwg, I like the look of your 58 it looks cool.
I think i might brown my 58 to, nice pic's guys.

Long Rider.
Old January 15, 2008, 07:21 PM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
Hey Hawwg, I like the look of your 58 it looks cool.
Thanks