The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 9, 2009, 08:17 PM   #1
hunter11

1911 full length guide rod

Well guys I build custom 1911's for myself and sons. i have always used solid Guide rods but recently I have read several articles saying they are a waste of money. What is your opinion? Thanks Dan
Old February 9, 2009, 08:28 PM   #2
B. Lahey

I don't think they do anything, but I don't feel the need to replace the one in my Springfield either. Both types work fine in my experience. My Colt shoots better than my Springfield but I doubt that has anything to do with the construction of the guide-rod.
Old February 9, 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Tommy Vercetti

John Moses Browning didn't think they were necessary did he?
Old February 9, 2009, 09:03 PM   #4
LHB1

Dan,
Which is better, four quarters or two half dollars? The question of FLGR (full length guide rods) is hotly debated among 1911 owners. Some love them and some hate them. Both will work. Choose your preference and go for it. I happen to like FLGRs and have one in each of my 1911s (one Kimber and five Wilson Combat guns). I DO NOT like the two piece rods however and use only one piece FLGRs. My target 1911s have tungsten FLGRs for a little more stabilizing weight up front. Note: Browning didn't put fancy grips, stainless frames, black colored finishes, magwells, beavertail grip safeties, or adjustable sights on his original 1911 either but I happen to like these features on my guns.

Last edited by LHB1; February 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
hunter11

guide rod

Thanks for your opinions guys, I'm building one now and guess I'l try shooting it both ways to see if I find a difference. My builds are usually very accurate. I'll let you know what result I get. It will take me a month or more to finish. Dan
Old February 10, 2009, 03:17 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I believe firmly that they are not only a waste of money and a nuisance, but have led to a lot of unnecessary problems. The reason I say that is that they are most likely the cause of all the laws about safety if a 1911 type pistol is dropped on the muzzle. With the old spring guide, the slide can move back and absorb the blow enough that the firing pin won't creep forward and fire a chambered round. But with a FLGR, the rigid guide rod keeps the energy from being absorbed and the gun can fire. Then come all the laws and safety checks, then the light firing pins, firing pin safeties, etc.

Jim
Old February 15, 2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Gunny

I was just looking over my Kimber 1911, It has a FLGR but if the muzzle were to impact the ground the FLGR still gives the slide enough room to move back and engage the Hammer Stop Safety to eliminate any kind of bullet being fired from the chamber automatically. Now if your 1911 does not have a Hammer Stop Safety then that would be a different story and an accidental fire could occur.
Old February 15, 2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Hawg

I like mine for no other reason than I can push out the slide lock and remove the entire slide assembly intact. Of course once the slide assembly is dismantled getting the spring back in can be a booger.