The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 28, 2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Redalpha12

Ceracoat

Thinking of ceracoating slide on CZ PO 9. How does this finish hold up ? Will not be EDC so not worried about holster wear.
Old February 28, 2015, 11:20 AM   #2
3kgt2nv

Holds up great. Its the factory finish on many firearms.

If you use the h code cerakote. The bake to cure finish.

I cerakote and love it and its not as thick as duracoat
Old February 28, 2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Darker Loaf

Cerakote seems to wear, at least for me. I've got numerous scratches on my firearm from use but it doesn't upset me since it's a gun that is meant to be used. But then, as Venom1956 can attest, I really use my guns a lot and all of my guns show signs of wear. If you aren't going to carry it, you should be good.

Personally, after seeing how cerakote wears, I'd go with something harder or simply polished stainless for carry.
Old February 28, 2015, 09:59 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Cerakote seems to wear, at least for me.
Quote:
Personally, after seeing how cerakote wears, I'd go with something harder or simply polished stainless for carry.
Sure your not talking about Duracoat? Nothing any harder than Cerakote other than Factory finishes/blends that I am aware of.
Old March 1, 2015, 03:15 AM   #5
Darker Loaf

Nope. I am talking cerakote. There are much harder finishes than cerakote, though cerakote is one of the better finishes out there. It will still chip and wear like anything though. Robar, titanium nitride, melonite, and many others are tougher than cerakote.

Durakote is definitely weaker, from what I hear, but I have no experience with it.

The custom shop I sent my SAM7-SF (an AK variant) to cerakoted the inside of the receiver and the bolt, which started wearing immediately (no surprise there). Also, the magwell (terminology?) is seeing some serious wear from the magazines. That is also not surprising. The gun still looks good, overall, and is still adequately protected by the cerakote finish.

Also not surprising, the 8 mags I got cerakoted are showing wear, but once again, they interface with other tough metal surfaces and get used a lot.
Old March 1, 2015, 08:09 PM   #6
Gunfixr

There are harder finishes than cerakote, but not harder spray on finishes that can be done by the average person.
Alumahyde/duracoat are the weakest.
Moly resin is next.
Cerakote/ Gunkote.

The only thing I'm not fond of with cerakote is, is it's thickness of application. You can't put it everywhere, just the outside. You can put moly resin everywhere but the bore. But, not as many colors to choose from.
Old March 6, 2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Redalpha12

Thanks
Old March 6, 2015, 03:38 PM   #8
jreXD9

my cerakoted Rami gets carried most days and the finish has held up just fine. she's puuurdy.
Old March 6, 2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Banger357

I have cerakoted a few guns and other things just for fun, and a few others for function. I picked up an old abused red label at a gun show (couldn't resist, I have a Ruger fetish that can not be sated) that was really not worth restoring- the overhaul would be the cost of a new gun. The bore was in decent condition but the outside was pretty pitted and rusted and generally icky. Got a really nice super dark gray finish and sanded the ever loving heck out of the stock and 7 years of abuse later, there is not a bit of wear on the barrel or break, but you can see where I've been careless with the refinished stock. If the person doing the cerakoting is skilled, I have found cerakote is a pretty flippin amazing thing.

To clarify, *I* didn't cerakote anything, I had it done. I have the fine motor skills and attention span of a sea cucumber.

Last edited by Banger357; March 6, 2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Probably shoulda mentioned