The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 19, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1
ka26

Stolen Gun - Advice

This occurred in Texas.

A couple years ago a friend of mine was going into the gas station & left her Glock 26 in her car. On her way inside a homeless guy asked her for money but she didn't have any to give him. While she was inside for maybe 1 or 2 min her car window was smashed & some stuff including the gun was taken. She immediately reported it stolen and described how the homeless guy looked who she believed did it but didn't have the serial # to give to the cops.

She just called me today saying the police had left her a message saying that they recovered her gun. They didn't give any details & aren't available until Tuesday. She is concerned that a crime could have been committed with the gun that the police may not even know about yet, so are there any kind of forms they will have her sign to indicate that the gun was stolen and not in her possession from X date - Y date?

Also, since guns aren't registered down here is there any way for the cops to know for sure that it is her gun?

She is concerned almost to the point of not wanting the gun back, any advice?
Old January 19, 2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Willie Sutton

Why would she not want the gun back?

The police probably found her thru the sale form trail from manufacturer to distributor to retailer and then to the individual sale. They have done her a huge favor. It's only rarely that they bother to attempt to return it.

I would say that having a recipt for return would be a pretty fair thing to have. She's done nothing wrong, and if they are returning it you can be pretty sure that the police have no further interest in retaining it "now or in the future".

If your car was stolen and then returned, would you refuse it?

Willie

Old January 19, 2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Xfire68

^^^^ I agree. She should be happy her property was returned to her.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Lemmon

Not exactly the same but ....

Not exactly the same but ....I got some gas for my car and to get the cash discount I went into the store and paid cash. Pumped my gas and went back into the store for my receipt and change. I had not locked my car as I should have. All was great until I got home and opened my armrest box to take out my pistol and it was not there. I was terrified. I searched the house, my wife's car and all my stash places I sometimes place the pistol. I researched all those places numerous times hoping that I had overlooked the pistol and lost sleep over it. I decided that I needed to report it to the local sheriff office. I went to the office and met the deputy on duty. He and another officer were very professional with me and asked questions that I expected them to ask. "When did I last see it? When had I been? When did I notice it missing? and repeated those questions in different ways. I had the serial number and they completed the required form. They told me that the serial number would be placed into the National Data Base that if recovered they would know it was stolen. They also assured me that I had done the right thing.

I did not feel that I was under any investigation and as I said earlier they were very professional and polite.

A week later I found the pistol in my house exactly where I had placed it. I called the sheriff's office and notified them of the news.

This was in Fairfield County South Carolina. I learned that I should be more careful and watchful how about my weapon. Also to never leave my auto unlocked or unattended when it has a firearm in it.

If I were in your friend I would go to the office that had recovered her weapon. I am sure that they will ask questions and it would help if she is able to bring proof that she purchased the pistol or even the box it came in. In my opinion it would be worse for her not to go....

Ok now I know I was lucky but please do not beat me up for misplacing my pistol. I know I should have been more responsible and made sure my car was locked up and the pistol secure but we all learn new things every day. My Dad told me a lot of things about life that I should have listened to but some of them I had to learn on my own.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina............
Old January 19, 2013, 05:00 PM   #5
godot

I can understand her trepidation and just wanting to be out of this thing. That being said, the ball is in the LEO's court right now and if they want her to sign for it she should just do it. If she's really worried, have her bring a lawyer. If she goes that route however, the lawyer should not be carrying a brief case and wearing a 3 piece suit. He should dress casually and just look like a friend.
If the gun brings up bad feelings, she should have no problems selling it to a gun shop and getting a bill of sale showing that as of xx-xx-2013, she has no involvement with that gun. At this point, she may even make a profit.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:35 PM   #6
ka26

She most definitely wants her gun back & she is going to the police station on Tuesday to get it. Her concern lies with any legal trouble she could get in if the police later discover that a crime was committed with the gun while it was stolen. She's a college student with no extra income to afford any kind of legal trouble. I'm wanting to know if there is a specific form she needs to make sure she has signed or something in particular she should get in writing?
Old January 19, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Also, since guns aren't registered down here is there any way for the cops to know for sure that it is her gun?
She reported it stolen.
If they're saying it's the same gun, I'd be willing to trust them on that....

Glocks have these little strings of characters on them, called a "serial number". It lets people identify a particular gun.

Quote:
so are there any kind of forms they will have her sign to indicate that the gun was stolen and not in her possession from X date - Y date?
Yea....
The Police report from when it was stolen.
And...
The forms she'll have to sign to pick it up.

One says it was stolen. The other will say it was recovered by the Police and returned to her. That's about as good as it gets.

If that still isn't good enough for her, she can sell it.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Shotgun693

I was a Cop in Texas for 35 years. I'm very sure there was an original theft report, the one your wife made at the time of loss, actually Burglary of a Motor Vehicle. When the gun was recovered a followup report was done. Both reports and any other paperwork relating to the theft/recovery went into the case folder. Just ask for a copy of the original report and of the followup report.
Even if you don't get the Reports, any investigation into a crime committed with this gun should disclose that the gun was 'out of her custody' during this particular time period.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:50 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nothing to worry about. She reported it and if it was known to be involved in any crime, the cops would not have called her to recover it.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Moby

The Police are not the bad guys.

If they are returning her firearm trust me she can trust them.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 19, 2013, 07:56 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
If that still isn't good enough for her, she can sell it.
...and given the fact that Glocks have seemingly disappeared from every LGS in my area, she can probably get back all or most of what she paid for it.