The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 29, 2012, 04:49 PM   #1
oldschool1911

I need a real combat commander ejector not a cheap copy

I bought my Combat Commander brand new from the gun store in the mid '70's. I have never had the ejector changed or even removed in all that time. But now the time has come to do so, it is causing jams every so often due to being beaten down.

The ejector that was in my gun, was an original, Colt factory, Combat Commander ejector.

It differs significantly from two I recently bought online (tried twice to get the "correct" one), both of which were supposed to be exact replacement ejectors for a Combat Commander.

First of all, the original one was wider at its front part than its rear, the part that contacts the cartridge case is around twice as wide on the old ejector than the new ones, for a distance of around 2/3's of the way back along its length.

Next, the part under the section that contacts the cartridge case, is wider on its forward part in a way similar to the first thing I mentioned.

Also, the shorter of the two legs is longer on my old original ejector than it is on the two new ones.

Last, and a minor point, the finish and bluing on the old part is noticeably better than on the new ones.

So, as I said, the new parts seem to not be "original" or " like original" Combat Commander parts although they were from reputable sources and were claimed to be.

That said, they do look like they would work.

But I would rather have one like the old one that came out.

Is anyone else familiar with this problem? Where can I get an ejector that really will match the old one in my mid 70's Combat Commander ?

I do have pics if anyone would like to see the differences.-Ken
Old March 29, 2012, 05:15 PM   #2
TATER

Yes, Please show your old one. I'll try to find a match for it in my box.
Tater
Old March 29, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3
oldschool1911

OK I hope these can show enough of the differences. The only other major difference these do not show is the aft leg is longer than on the new ones I bought.
Let me know if more pics are needed to see what I am talking about, thanks! -Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (82.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (79.3 KB, 45 views)
Old March 29, 2012, 08:30 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Have you tried Numrich? They got a lot of the older Colt parts. Also, have you tried Colt?

Have you actually tried either of the new ones, that is installed it and fired the gun? The reason I ask is that very often a maker will upgrade and change the appearance of a part for one reason or another, and then someone with the old part thinks that the new one is "wrong", even though it will fit and function properly. I recently got a part for a washing machine; it came with a big red notice saying that even though it did not look like the old part, it would work. It didn't, and it did.

Jim
Old March 29, 2012, 09:40 PM   #5
DnPRK

I've got an ejector from an old Commander, but the tip is badly peened. Which makes me believe its a systemic problem with ejectors on older Commanders since the OP also had a peening problem. Colt was probably afraid to make them too hard or the legs would sheer.

I'd try a new production ejector cut to the same length as the old ejector.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:22 PM   #6
oldschool1911

I looked at Numrich, but that was after I had already bought two, one from a source even better known than them. I figured since I could not tell in the first two cases if it would match, and it did not, I would have no better luck with them and was tired of throwing away money.

I have not tried Colt. I guess I will give them a call. I have tried them in the past with other parts problems and never had much luck but you can never tell.

I was just hoping someone knew of the problem and there was a known honest to God matching part.

I did not try to see if the two I bought that do not come up to the old ones spec would work, I see no reason why they would not, BUT I believe it is obvious that they would not last as long or do as well with hot loads, not that I ever shoot hot loads, I don't.
However the fact that the old one has more metal where it counts makes me think that the newer ones (not made by Colt apparently) were changed by suppliers because they would work as well for a good while, and be significantly less expensive to mfg.
The "change" in the newer parts is much more than cosmetic, it is a reduction of metal in areas where that would result in less durability or strength. Check out the pictures and you will see what I mean if you compare that ejector to one sold today.
As far as there being a problem with the older ejector that made it peen, no, I do not think so, because it has performed flawlessly for almost 40 years, even though in the past, some folks I lent my Commander to at one time or another did indeed shoot some very hot loads through it. That was decades and many thousands of rounds ago. If it was soft enough to have been a problem it would have become so long before now.
I think it is peened just because of normal use. Nothing lasts forever, and with use any part will wear and fail sooner or later.
I would like to have one in it like the one that came out since that one has done so well for so long, and the new ones are obviously lacking in areas that could impact longevity. -Ken
Old March 30, 2012, 10:32 AM   #7
TATER

Sorry OldSchool,
I have a bunch a different sizes. But, Nothing that looks like that one.
You could look at .38 Super ejectors and they might be closer though.
Tater