The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 25, 2009, 04:50 PM   #1
ImprobableJoe

Safety VS Accessability

I sold my rifles years ago, but recently I've been looking at buying a pistol for recreational shooting/home defense. I've always been a fan of shooting, and I will be moving from a very peaceful suburban area to a more urban location in the next year or so. Since the last time I've owned firearms, I've also gotten married. My wife is not morally opposed to shooting, but has various safety concerns.

I pick my battles wisely, and if I am going to win the battle to buy a pistol, I am going to have to yield pretty heavily on the safety issues. I know my way around firearms, but I don't know jack about cases/safes. I've used a trigger lock and a cable through the barrel... both of which would be a liability in a home defense situation.

I've seen all sorts of small pistol safes that can be accessed by codes, and grooves for your fingers so you can do it in the dark. I've also seen fingerprint safes, that might be even faster. Does anyone here have any experience with either system, and recommendations of what to buy, and how to place it for maximum speed in an emergency?
Old June 25, 2009, 05:01 PM   #2
bababooey32

See related threads: Nightstand Safe Recommendations

Gunsafe in the bedroom

We have a 3 year old and a 5 year old running around, and I keep a loaded XDm 9mm in a Winchester EV600 Personal Electronic Safe. The safe is mounted vertically to the back of my nightstand. This way the safe is out of plain view (from kids, or anyone else), but is easily accessible to me without having to look at the keypad, and with the firearm presented vertically (as if from a holster) for rapid deployment.

The safe is easy enough to manipulate for me while nearly impossible for a child to successfully open. The safe automatically locks down after three unsuccesful attempts to open, and sounds an audible alarm. The location (kids cannot see the keypad) combined with the safety features makes us comfortable with the gun being stored there.
Old June 25, 2009, 05:11 PM   #3
ImprobableJoe

Thanks for the links, the suggestion, and for mentioning one of the pistols I've been looking at!
Old June 25, 2009, 08:16 PM   #4
bababooey32

I've had the XDm for about 4 months and put about 500 rounds through it (my wife an additional 100). No problems at all thus far. I have very little comparison as this is my first firearm of any kind, but I've had a positive experience thus far and I did alot (ALOT) of research prior to purchasing the gun.
Old July 3, 2009, 04:36 PM   #5
KCabbage

I bought a Gunvault gunsafe a month or so ago and couldn't be happier. Very safe and very quick to open. I can access my pistol in 2 seconds light or dark. If you mess up the code it only makes you wait an extra second. I got mine for $100 shipped

I'd skip the finger print safes if I were you, but that's just my opinion.
Old July 3, 2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I bought a Gunvault gunsafe a month or so ago and couldn't be happier. Very safe and very quick to open. I can access my pistol in 2 seconds light or dark. If you mess up the code it only makes you wait an extra second. I got mine for $100 shipped
Me too, I think mine was $85 or so in eBay. Very nice, very safe, very fast.