The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 9, 2008, 10:58 PM   #1
BBush

Nikon Prostaff vs. Nikon Buckmaster...

I was comparing the Nikon Buckmaster and Prostaff riflescopes to place on a H&R Handi-Rifle in 45/70. I noticed that the Buckmaster line is completely waterproof, fogproof, and shockproof. The Prostaff line claims to only be waterproof and fogproof. The company says nothing about the Prostaff scopes being shockproof, however the company claims that positive click adjustments maintain your settings even with heavy recoil. What is the difference between shockproof and the fact that the scope maintains it settings even with heavy recoil. I am just trying to decide what the big difference between the Buckmaster and the Prostaff lines is other than the 92% vs. 90% light transmisson.
Old October 10, 2008, 10:22 PM   #2
ZEBRARANGER

I put the Nikon Prostaff on my Marlin 1895m .450 a couple of months ago. I've only had it out a couple of times since, with no issue's. I know thats no real test of time, but the Prostaff box and paperwork that came with the scope stated... Full Lifetime Warranty.../WaterProof/FogProof/Shockproof, I went with the Prostaff because it was a little shorter and should handle the stout recoil of the 450. This site will give you the specs on both. http://www.swfa.com/c-2183-riflescopes.aspx

Last edited by ZEBRARANGER; October 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: add photo
Old October 12, 2008, 11:29 PM   #3
BBush

If you look at the Nikon website...the Prostaff is waterproof and fogproof. It does mention "shockproof", however I figured it must be because all other scopes in the Prostaff's price range are listed as being shockproof.