The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old April 10, 2008, 01:31 PM   #26
SOCOMII

FreedomRings, my suggestion is to try again.

I decided to make known to GV that this thread exists a few days ago and received contact from their CS dept. I did not mention TFL or THR but obviously the thread was not hard to find which is satisfying.

I returned their call and they did offer to send me a replacement unit. I was told the design is different now. I declined another potentially defective safe from GunVault having fixed it better myself.

Call 800-242-1055 ext 459

If they will not replace yours, FreedomRings, I will tell them to send me my replacement and I will ship it to you.

The anger I felt at GunVault for not caring about my money or my safety enough to return a phone call or email after months has been replaced by the satisfaction that the Internet can make them care.

I am a small business owner, and I can not accept poor customer service from any size company.

So yeah, they got back to me and offered a replacement.

Jamie, I would be curious to know if the cable design was changed on your new safe.
Old April 19, 2008, 08:56 AM   #27
SOCOMII

Stunning Product Failure

This morning I went to open one of my bio GV safes. It is dead. Plugged in, with a battery and nothing happens when you hit the button. Nothing happens when you unplug and plug it in. No beeps like the other one.

Just dead. I urge anyone thinking about buying a GunVault Biometric Safe

DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!

Had this been an emergency I would be dead.

Both of mine had cable failures that would not allow them to open (see the GV faq for "whirring noise") and now one of them receives no power to the mechanism. They were purchased in August 2007.
Old April 19, 2008, 11:36 AM   #28
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I think this thread is a good lesson in the malfunctions of complex mechanical objects. Thanks to SOCOMII for sharing his experience so we can learn as well.

Unfortunately, it seems that either the technology just isn't quite there yet in regard to biometrics and safes, or GunVault is just making junk. Possibly both are true, maybe only one.

I have three key & lock safes in my house, one in my car and I have two daughters, so I have the same concerns as SOCOMII. My keys have never failed me.

Remember, it is more important to gun-proof your kids than it is to kid-proof your guns. When the kids are old enough, teach them the four rules with Eddie Eagle.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old July 31, 2008, 09:55 PM   #29
davidduarte

Gunvault customer service

I've had the deluxe multi gunvault (non-biometric) for a year or so, and today I went to put my G26 away, but when I put in my code, all I got was a whirring sound, so I had to get the keys and open it. I called up their contact line, but kept getting voicemail, so I left a couple of messages. An hour or so later I got a call back. The guy asked for the date of manufacture, took my address, and told me I would receive a new one, and would also receive a return box to send the old one back. So while I'm not happy that the unit failed, I am glad that I'll be getting a new one.

Dave
Old August 1, 2008, 12:23 AM   #30
mniesen89

Stubbygear.com They suck!!!!

I paid for a Eagle rifle buttstock pack weeks ago and still have not recieved my item.I tried writing multiple e-mails with no response. tried calling a "customer service":barf: number and of course it goes straight to voicemail claiming they'll be out of the office for a couple days!

AVoid at all cost!!

Anyone dealt with this company before?
Old November 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #31
alexplus

I found this forum when searching for a new Biometric Safe for my new gun. I'm using a BioMETRX BioVault 2.0 right now and it's been working great. I only use this particular safe for home safety so it is only opened once a week for shooting at the range. I use a regular key safe for my other guns that I use more often. But it's a great safe so far, I found it at http://www.smarttouchstore.com/ and though it is somewhat expensive being just for $400 including s/h and tax in my opinion you really don't get quality without some out of pocket change added into the equation. I hope all of you end up getting what you're looking for in a safe though.
Old November 28, 2009, 09:51 PM   #32
DT Guy

Simplex locks rule this application. Durable, resettable and extremely fast, even in the dark.

If they're still around, the 'Handgun Box' (catchy name, no?) is formidable, IMHO.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old November 29, 2009, 12:03 AM   #33
m.p.driver

The funny thing is i was looking at one of these yesterday and debating on whether to buy it,i'll pass now.

Last edited by m.p.driver; November 29, 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old November 29, 2009, 07:40 AM   #34
alexplus

Yeah, to be in my honest opinion, biometric technology isn't that great for public use yet. I mean it's getting there, but when it comes to gun safes, using them constantly, and the durability of the scanning equipment and locking mechanisms, they aren't the greatest. I'd stick to a regular key lock for regular use and maybe a biometric one for quick access in case of an emergency.
Old November 29, 2009, 09:19 AM   #35
DT Guy

Something to consider is the inability to remotely grant access to the safe. For instance-my brother is staying over, watching my kids. He has some reason for concern about their safety, and calls me.

With a simplex lock, I can tell him the combination and allow him access to a firearm over the phone. Never possible with biometrics.

Will this come up often? No. Ever? Probably not...but combined with all the other disadvantages biometrics have, taking access out of the intellectual realm and putting it in the physical realm is not an improvement, IMHO.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old November 29, 2009, 11:14 AM   #36
MikeGoob

I have the 4 button lock box, perfectly secure for my use. nobody can guess the combo and if you guess wrong too many times the box wont open till you get the key.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:35 PM   #37
Hogberry

Thanks for the heads-up. Since my guns will only need to be locked up when I'm not home, a more traditional safe will more than suffice.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:47 AM   #38
bimmer*tr

Try the LockSAF...much better and zero problems...

Bimmer
Old November 30, 2009, 11:42 PM   #39
sspanky

DT GUY, the bio gun vaults use your fingerprint AND also have a key that will open it as well. So,if there is a power failure and you forgot to ensure that the battery was fresh, you can still access the safe.
In my opinion the older safes had some problems, not only in the equipment but also with customer service.
I'm assuming here (I know...) that they have corrected the problem with the cable breaking and it also sounds like they have started to realize they had some customer relation problems.
I purchased my bio vault this fall due to the speed access with the scanner and so far-knocking on wood- it's hasn't failed me yet.
I WILL let everyone know if there is a failure!
Old November 30, 2009, 11:58 PM   #40
langenc

Midway was mentioned on one post. What happens if you contact them and tell them not to sell the junk. Maybe they can put some heat on Gunvault.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:29 AM   #41
ShipWreck

This is an old thread - but mine broke a few months ago after having it about 2.5 years. The cable broke. I called and expected to have to pay to fix it. They sent me a brand new one, and then I shipped back the old one.

This one is different. The buttons are not quite the same. They do not have a "tactile feel" and instead are somewhat mushy.

I was told that the locking mechanism is different, and the wire will not break. After playing with a bit, I think the internal lock is made a bit differently. So, the new one should have the same fate.

I AM trying to get used to the new button design, however.
Old December 17, 2009, 01:18 PM   #42
petesull

Quote:
I have about a dozen patents for biometrics and worked in the field for a decade before I decided to get a real job.

Biometrics work perfectly well for 80% of the population. Biometrics suck big time for the other 20%. Find out which percentage you're in before you invest in biometric anything.

If you use it in a gun safe, enroll two fingers, one on each hand, avoid paper cuts, gardening, and hand lotion, and don't ever ever sweat.
Haha thanks for the advice--I was looking at fingerprint gun safes.
Old December 17, 2009, 01:18 PM   #43
output

I wouldn’t bet my life on a $200 Biometric safe or any for that matter...

As stated in the title I would not bet my life on a $200 Biometric safe made by anyone for any amount of money. It just isn't worth the chance of failure. Just recently I made a post in another section basically parsing my GV but I always open my safe with the Key, also my key is always in it while I am near and it is closed, or I have it in my pocket. I rarely ever open it without the key because I know that there could be a possibility of failure and I do not want to gamble with that. At-any-rate thanks for the heads-up with your experience it definitely reinforced my beliefs.