The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2000, 07:37 PM   #1
fyrfytrj

i just bought a NIB mossberg 590. I got it home and loaded up the tube, and then began to cycle it (pump it). It failed to feed at least 1/3 of the time. The new shell would not release out of the tube. I removed the spring and reinstalled it and FTF. I tried to call Mossberg but they were closed for the weekend... Help please?????????????any suggestions on what I can do. I can fix it if you can explain it....thank you
Old January 29, 2000, 09:18 PM   #2
pete80

Wait till' Monday?

It might be a bad mag spring or faulty magazine follower. This might sound dumb but are the shells 12 gauge? Are they 2 3/4" or 3"? Maybe the shells are too large, different gauge.
Old January 29, 2000, 11:44 PM   #3
jcoyoung

I also have a 590 (parkerized) and I haven't had any problems at all.

This may sound silly, but did you clean everything first? Be sure to clean the bbl and magazine tube according to the instructions. You can also try cleaning and oiling all the intenal parts. You may want to pay particular attention to the cartridge interrupter and cartridge stop. (p10 in the manual)

Good luck!
Old January 30, 2000, 10:01 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Ditto, jcoyoung comments. When you take a new gun or used gun outa the box. The first thing you do is clean it for the factory grease and packing my still be in it. It may look clean. But it really has to be cleaned first!!
Old January 30, 2000, 02:11 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm no expert on Mossbergs, but try this...

With an empty weapon,hold the slide release down and keep cycling the action until your arms get tired,then do it again when your rested.Clean and lube.

Load up with some dummy shells if you have them and see if it's improved.IMO, there's a good chance it has...
Old January 31, 2000, 11:13 PM   #6
ctdonath

My 590 was totally dry when I got it; absolutely no lubrication. Didn't help that I didn't notice until the forend got really hard to move. A good dose of oil and a few hundred cycles fixed it nicely.