The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1
DimitriS

Bullet types.

What type of just the bullet (not the whole cartrage) do you think is the best for all around hunting ??

There are many different types and styles but I was wondering what types do you perfer and what makes them so much better then the competition ??

Dimitri
Old November 15, 2005, 01:38 AM   #2
Twycross

From what I've read, I'm inclined to say the Nosler Accubond. I havn't shot it yet myself, but I do have a friend who took a deer a few weeks ago with a .270 handloaded w/ Accubonds. Perfect expansion, punched all the way through, and left an exit wound six inches across.
Old November 15, 2005, 06:33 AM   #3
Foxman

I have to say the Nosler hunting ballsitic tip, I have found to be very accurate and devastating on the target animal. If you go for heart lung shots, meat damage is not an issue and they transfer a lot of energy into the kill zone. I have taken deer as neck shots out to over 200 yds with the 243 and 95 gr bts and again one shot kills have been the norm. I have had very good results also with Sierra gameking and Hornady Spire points.
Old November 15, 2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"...all around hunting?"

If by "all around" is meant from rabbit to elk, you're stuck with using a bullet suitable for elk. That is, one capable of lengthy penetration, as well as some expansion.

That said, in general the flat-base pointed soft point works on most everything. In, for instance, 30-caliber, almost all wil expand to around 50-caliber, and retain somewhere over 100 grains of the origianl 150.

The premium bullets can be a bit more reliable against "blowing up" if hitting a large bone on entry. That they are more reliable does not mean that non-premium bullets WILL blow up. Premium bullets can be a bit more reliable about consistency in expansion, but the same caveat applies.

I've been handloading for the '06 and the .243 for a very long time. I've come to rely on Sierra bullets, mostly because I've learned which of their types do what. I've gotten lazy with the .243; I only use the 85-grain HPBT for varmints and small deer. In the '06, I'm happy with the 150-grain for deer. I've learned that the boat-tail 150 will blow up at short range, but at 100 yards and more it works just fine. The flat-base won't blow up at short range. Their 180-grain SPBT seems to be excellent for heavier animals such as elk, but that's a "guess" based on judgement from other targets. Still, it's not that Sierra bullets are "better"; it's that I know what they'll do. My father used the 150-grain Hornady Spire Point for over fifty years, and quite successfully.

If a person is going on that "hunt of a lifetime", it makes sense to read up on the specifics of each type/brand-name and use premium ammo. Given the other costs, any ammunition price is a trivial item.

Art
Old November 15, 2005, 01:27 PM   #5
john in jax

As Art suggests different bullet types work better on different game. You need to pick a bullet for your primary game animal.

For instance I'm currently shooting a .308 165grn balistic tip. A 150grn would be adequate for our smallish NE FL whitetails, but I wanted a little more weight to give me a little more penetration in case I get a shot at a hog. I briefly considered a 180grn, but eventually decided I didn't need that much bullet for the game I'll be hunting down here.
Old November 22, 2005, 02:15 AM   #6
formerflyer

I guess I'm of the "choose a bullet that will accomplish everything you will want to do with the rifle" school. I therefore avoid all the great deer bullets mentioned above (and they are GREAT deer bullets). I stick to Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX's, TBBC's, etc. I never have to worry about my loads or my sight picture, as it never changes. When I got a chance to hunt moose a few years ago, I didn't have to work up anything special. When I got an offer to hunt brown bear, same thing.

Set your rifle up for one load that will work for everything, then shoot the bejezus out of it and make it your friend. You'll be happy you did.

If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier.
Old November 24, 2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Ruger # 1

For deer, Ballistic Tips.
For deer and anything else, Partitions.Greatest buulet ever made,IMO.
Old November 27, 2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Lycanthrope

Ballistic Tips. Most guns seem to like them.

165gr Partitions grenade out of a 7mm at high velocity. The 150 Balistic Tips hold together a bit better in that caliber at high speed.
Old November 27, 2005, 01:37 PM   #9
Pointer

I think the ballistic tips are really very good... especially the newer ones from
Barnes/Federal partnership.

However, the Barnes X in Triple shock design, is at least as good, and may be better on bigger/dangerous game, Elk and up.

.30 caliber is best all around size...

Of course these guy's are right about bullet weights specific to the game you shoot.

In either case, Barnes has the lock on it...
Old January 5, 2006, 01:14 PM   #10
147 Grain

While 30-06 180-gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips are my favorite deer load and 180-gr. High Energy Partions are my favorite elk load, the 180-gr. AccuBond performs very well on everything, so I 2nd TWYCross's recommendation of this find Nosler product with a high BC of .509.
Old January 5, 2006, 02:44 PM   #11
Wild Bill Bucks

About any magazine or book you pick up that is related to hunting and bullets will list some Great bullets for hunting.
The one thing that keeps coming up almost every time, is the Partition and the accubond by Nosler.
I have been using them for game in all different calibers for as long as they have been around and have not had any problems with them.
My Rule of thumb is Velocity under 2800 fps = Nosler Ballistic Tip in 150 or 168 grain for Deer and smaller. At 2800fps and faster I go to Nosler accubond for Hogs to Bear. Your choice as to what grain.
Haven't had any problems with expansion or blow up when I have applied the to the right velocity when re-loading for any of my rifles.

Also Thanks for the tip on the pictures Dimitri, but I don't think they came out to good, I'll keep trying.
Old January 5, 2006, 04:57 PM   #12
DimitriS

Thanks for all the replys people

I'm still trying to find a "wonder" do it all bullet to use for hunting thats why I asked.

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083
Old January 5, 2006, 05:53 PM   #13
Harley Quinn

Did they recover the bullet twycross?

Twycross said:
From what I've read, I'm inclined to say the Nosler Accubond. I havn't shot it yet myself, but I do have a friend who took a deer a few weeks ago with a .270 handloaded w/ Accubonds. Perfect expansion, punched all the way through, and left an exit wound six inches across.

Curious about visual look at the bullet?

Harley
Old January 5, 2006, 06:02 PM   #14
147 Grain

I love Nosler's AccuBond, which I believe is a one of the best all-around bullets there are to choose from.

For starters, the AccuBond is a Ballistic Efficient round with an aerodynamic BC of .509 - enabling more downrange energy on target.

Example:

When comparing a bullet's energy in a 30-06 versus a 300 Win Mag, if you put a premium 180-gr. Nosler AccuBond bullet in a 30-06 at 2,750 fps MV and compare it to a plain jane Winchester 180-gr. Power Point in a 300 Win Mag at 2,960 fps MV, the 30-06 AccuBond will have an amazing 104 ft. lbs more energy at 300 yards: that's right - 2,005 versus 1,901 (Source: Winchester's 2005 Ammo Catalog, p. 10 - 13).

So you see the 180-gr. AccuBond with a BC of .509 easily makes up for and passes the 210 fps velocity advantage the 180-gr. Power Point had because of its much lower BC of only .349.

In this case, the 30-06 180-gr. AccuBond outperforms a 300 Win Mag 180-gr. Power Point at 300 yards.

Moreover, a Nosler Technician recently reported that in comparison to the Hornady InterBond, the AccuBond not only expands more than the InterBond (providing more shock), it also penetrates more by shedding shrapnel along the way to the point where the slightly smaller bullet actually penetrates more than the larger mushroom on the InterBond.

The AccuBond's design took 4 1/2 years in the making.

I like this bullet because it provides excellent expansion and its unique ability to slowly shed weight enables it to penetrate more than the competition, so you get the best of both worlds.

http://www.nosler.com/accubond.html
Old January 6, 2006, 12:56 AM   #15
Harley Quinn

Thanks 147

I put that website in my favorites, I will check it out more when I have the time.

Harley
Old January 15, 2006, 10:45 PM   #16
Pointer

That Barnes/Federal ballistic tip I mentioned above???

Is called the Federal Fusion...