The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Peppy

Newbie wants to thank members of The Firing Line

I visited the forum a few times to research issues about the few guns I own. I decided to join after researching about a handgun my father gave me years ago. It is a 1942 Colt 38 Detective Special. I learned much while reading the posts of many knowledgable Firing Line members. I performed the "timing" test described by DFerriswheel, (sorry if I butchered the name) and it passes the "lock in the notch" test on every chamber, only if you cock it like you mean business. If you perform the test extremely slow, it passes on only one chamber. Falls a froghair short of "click" on all others. It passes all the aspects of the remaining timing tests.
I would rate the Colt DS a 60% condition if comparing against a new gun. However, if I look and behave half as good as this weapon after 70+ years, I'd be lucky. I really had no idea of what my father had given me until recently. I'm tickled. My father is still alive at 84 years of age. The gun was given to him by my mother's stepfather. I'll try and attach an image to this post which best reflects the condition of the Colt DS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt DS.jpg (219.3 KB, 67 views)
Old January 22, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Doc TH

Have it checked, and repaired if necessary by a competent gunsmith. Then shoot it. You have a treasure.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:50 PM   #3
DragonDog

Welcome! And that looks like an awesome little snubbie! I wouldn't be trying any hot +P loads in it, but it should be a nice little shooter when you get it checked out.

Enjoy!
Old January 27, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Peppy

Keeping it for the family

Once it is done protecting my family the Colt will become theirs to do what they wish. I would like to find another revolver for home protection and retire the Colt to safekeeping. I'm not sure what I want to purchase for this chore. I do not need anything fancy and I guess it does not have to be a revolver. Prices are crazy right now, so I will wait until it settles down.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:02 PM   #5
DFrame

Beautiful. Congratulations. You have one of the finest snub nosed revolvers ever made, and an incredible heirloom. It appears to be an earlier square butt gun that is somewhat rare.