The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1
FrosSsT

Winchester NATO 9mm in HK USP & Sig P226

I recently stumbled across some 9mm NATO rounds by Winchester. It is not labeled +P but on the website it states they are loaded 10% hotter than normal 9mm loads. I have an HK USP and am in the process of purchasing a Sig P226. I have done some research and so far the only thing I have turned up (for both pistols) is that +P loads should be used moderately because of increased wear and tare and +P+ should not be used at all. So would this Winchester NATO ammo be ok to run through these guns on a regular basis?
Old December 30, 2012, 08:45 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Lol. Can you run Winchester NATO through a USP? There's not much you can't run through a USP. Heck you're supposed to be able to clear a squib load by shooting it out of the barrel with another round in a USP. I think the manual even says +p+ is okay for the USP. But of course it will accelerate wear.

Winchester NATO is fun stuff, I like it because it's a lot closer to my carry load of 124 gr +P than the typical 115 gr powder puff. It should easily be fine in either of those pistols.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 30, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
PSP

What TunnelRat said. I shoot tons of NATO ammo. Great ammo for practice. The Sig can handle it all day too.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:28 PM   #4
sigarms228

No problem in either. With extended use it might be an idea to change the recoil spring a little sooner than normal interval.

You can get the SIG P226 in .357SIG (maybe the USP also but not sure) and that is like shooting ++P++ if such a catridge existed.