The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 15, 2006, 07:57 PM   #26
Dreadnought

Can you reason with a dog? No.
Truly violent gang memebers are no better than dogs or any kind of animal that works in a pack. Don't even bother going after them, there is no bargaining that can be done. Get your wife and kid out of the house. Your little brother may be in danger as well. The only thing you can do if the police won't help is to talk to state police, maybe even the local office of the FBI. If that doesn't work, you may need to go public. The fact several armed officers did nothing to help you because the offenders are known, armed gang members throws up the red flag. If they knew they were underage and armed, why didn't they do something?
Old December 15, 2006, 09:24 PM   #27
SFV81

What state are you in? Here in SoCal I deal with these bastards all the time. Not to be racist but what are they? Black,white, mexican? tehy all seem to go about things in a different way.
Old December 15, 2006, 10:46 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

I recommend that at this point you should not create a situation that can turn into a confrontation or altercation. Do not meet them anywhere.

If you think it's necessary to apologize, do so over the phone. Think about what you're going to say ahead of time and stick to your script. Write it down if you need to. Don't get dragged into another argument. Meeting them somewhere is a really bad idea in my opinion.

I would look into filing a complaint with the police department over the way they handled the situation. The fact that you called the police is pretty good evidence that you aren't looking for trouble. Get some help writing the complaint if you want it to be taken seriously.

Some suggestions to avoid this sort of thing in the future:

1. Avoid places where lots of idiots hang out.
2. If you have a confrontation, go somewhere safe rather than driving around looking for a video camera.
3. Your truck is not worth your life, your wife's life or the life of the idiot you may end up shooting over it if you don't get your priorities straight. Your truck is "stuff". You can buy more "stuff". People are not replaceable. Stop and think before you put yourself or others in danger again over "stuff".
4. If someone is talking "smack" to you while you're in your truck, the proper response is to politely take your leave and drive off. NOT to get out of your truck.
5. Try to consider the possible long term effects of your actions ahead of time and determine if the effects are worth it.
Old December 16, 2006, 12:04 AM   #29
Prophet

I understand what all of you are saying
I have met with the city manager over the officers.
My boss is the deputy Mayor and I have talked with him many times about this.
His take on it is its all lip and it will pass. But he did put me intouch with the city manager.
I'm about to buy me a AR-15 so that if something does happen (and they never travel in groups under 10) I will be ready.
To answer the question of what race they are they are black.
I have some mutaral friends with them so they are talking to them for me.
I won't meet them anywhere i've been thinking about it and its been too risky to me.
I know my truck is just "stuff" and nothing more and I know its not worth anyones life my wifes nor theirs.
I messed up in the past and all is well now I'm thinking way more clearly now.
I just want to thank you all for the really good advice. Really thank you all. It feels like i'm not alone in this fight.
Old December 16, 2006, 07:26 AM   #30
skipjack

Oops!

I guess I gave some bad advice.

Unfortunately, or I guess, fortunately, I have had very few dealings with gang members. I guess I was relating Prophet's circumstances to the normal folks I deal with.

My apologies, Prophet.

Good luck to you, hope it works out.
Old December 16, 2006, 01:44 PM   #31
Syntax360

One more thing I'd like to add - regarding their overwhelming numbers. Being young and being in a group of 10 people is going to make them feel real powerful - until you drop a hammer. I guarantee that if 10 of them come walking up to you and try to start somethings, there MIGHT BE 1 still there after something goes bang.

Nothing slaps the logic back into you faster than the crack of a gunshot and a supersonic bullet travelling in your general direction.
Old December 16, 2006, 02:57 PM   #32
Prophet

Update #2

Lastnight about 1am my wife and I were watching tv and we hear this thump
from a radio I jump up to look but couldn't see anything so I just blew it off.
about 1 min later I hear it again so I jump up and see about a 85 model cutlass
driving really slowly with their radio real loud he went up and down our road 4 times in about 6 mins. So my wife dials 911 and tells them about it so we would have it documented.
they said they would have a officer patrol the area. He came and made one pass by my house and that was it.
So my wife and I turned out all the lights in the house I got my 1911 and 4 extra mags closed every door in our house so that if they did get in I would know where they were in the house by the sound of what door was opening.
We then just kinda laid in the floor on the opposite side of the bed than the door to our room. then about 20 mins later we hear the thump thump again.
This time they only made one pass and that was the end of it.
I'm gettin really tired of my wife and I having to live in fear and this is only the first weekend of it. I think i'm going to go insane.
Old December 16, 2006, 03:05 PM   #33
JohnKSa
Staff

If they were really serious about harming you, I'd expect them to do more than cruise back & forth in front of your house with a loud stereo.

I suggest that you:
  • Keep alert and be aware of what's going on around you.
  • Do what you feel is reasonable to provide for your wife's and your safety.
  • Go on with life.

Good luck.
Old December 16, 2006, 03:20 PM   #34
BigO01

Quote:
If they were really serious about harming you, I'd expect them to do more than cruise back & forth in front of your house with a loud stereo.
Ever heard of a cat playing with a mouse before he kills it ?

If cars doing this are unusual on the street at that time of night it could be they were trying to see if they or their neighbors were awake and if so how long it would take the cops to get there "a lot of people will call because of the noise at 1 am" .

Could you see how many people were in the car ?

All kinds of could B's in this situation they could all be piled in the car and just toying with you while they are all unarmed and when the cops hassle them they can't do a thing other than perhaps write them a disturbing the peace ticket because of the radio . Could be they weren't drunk or high enough to have the nerve to start shooting .
Old December 17, 2006, 01:44 AM   #35
Cellfone

Prophet, the absolute best advice given so far has been the documentation of instances where you are threatened or placed in fear. I'm not sure what state you're in, shame on me for not paying attention, but there must be a law pertaining to stalking or criminal harassment. Good luck and please be safe.
Old December 17, 2006, 01:55 AM   #36
Prophet

Well to let you all know i'm in TX.
What I kinda figured was that they were casing the place to see what I'd do in a situation like that.
I turned out all the lights and bunkered down got ready for them.
I know they wanted me to know they were there, there is no explanation for driving by at 1am with your radio blearing. anyway I'm going to bunker down for the night. Let you guys know if anything happens tonight.
Old December 17, 2006, 03:56 AM   #37
jfrey123

This might be the time for those door sirens I've seen in the past...

http://www.personalarms.com/home_ala...door_alarm.htm

Obviously the police have failed in this situation. No fault to their own, but rather our amazing legal system. Be safe and don't hesitate if the time comes.
Old December 17, 2006, 04:48 AM   #38
the_oklahombre

Make sure the door to your bedroom is good and tough. A lot of interior doors are weak and can easily be pushed open with enough force. It doesn't need to be 100% BG proof, but enough that it slows them down and after the BG gets through the door and forces you to shoot, it appears to the jury that you did everything within your power to prevent use of deadly force. The 1911 is a good choice, but for home defense I'd suggest you finding a short barrel 12 or 20 guage pump or double barrel shotgun loaded with buckshot. A few well placed shots with a riot gun will break up a crowd pretty quickly.
Old December 17, 2006, 12:06 PM   #39
Syntax360

I'm curious whereabout in TX? You don't have to give a city, of course, but I hate to hear about a fellow TX TFLer having to deal with this [color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color].
Old December 17, 2006, 12:40 PM   #40
Prophet

I live in Sherman TX, and these trugs are from Oakcliff down around you. So you probally know what kind of scum i'm dealing with.
Old December 17, 2006, 04:32 PM   #41
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I live in Sherman TX, and these trugs are from Oakcliff down around you. So you probally know what kind of scum i'm dealing with.
Tell me you didn't strap on a gun and drive 60 miles to hang out in a park in Oak Cliff...

If I lived in Oak Cliff, I'd drive 60 miles AWAY from there to go to a park.

Sounds like you got just exactly what you were looking for.
Old December 17, 2006, 04:46 PM   #42
Prophet

Lord no the guys and their cousians are from there. They live here now. Believe me I don't go looking for trouble. It just seemed to find me.
Old December 17, 2006, 05:16 PM   #43
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Lord no...
GOOD, I was thinking some pretty bad thoughts there for awhile!
Old December 17, 2006, 08:09 PM   #44
High Planes Drifter

If possible; if you rent and your lease is close to being up, I'd suggest moving. Its the easiest and safest thing to do. If thats not an option; well, arm up, call the police whenever any little thing happens, and make a log of it. And provide that wife of yours a firearm she can use.

quote:
Aso for me I'm carrying all the time the wife on the other hand isn't. One because she has a bad temper and I think she would Probably shoot someone over road rage. Two because I think she would hesitate in a stressful situation.
-----------
I dont get it; thats like saying someones' passive agressive.
So which is it, is she short tempered or hesitant?
Old December 17, 2006, 08:53 PM   #45
Dean C

Sorry, my BS meter is registering.
dean
Pro 2A Washington (Charter Member)
Old December 17, 2006, 09:36 PM   #46
Prophet

I'm sorry that your "BS Meter" is registering but to answer the helpful people that asked questions.
No. I am a home owner so I can't just move, believe I've been thinking about selling just to move away for safer place.
Before they knew where I lived I was thinking about selling my truck because thats the only way they knew us.
Old December 18, 2006, 09:20 AM   #47
billydiesel

Hey prophet, I know what your'e going through buddy. I grew up around Miami, so I known the kind. These guys are looking for rep, Intimidation is their biggest weapon. They are not really looking for a fight, they are looking to impress their fellow thugs. The game is to keep you afraid, that makes them feel like a man. They are probably initiates to a gang and not full members yet, which makes them even more dangerous. They are looking to make their mark.
They are looking to get a rise out of you, some sign of fear. As long as they get it, This will go on. Often apoligies will make things worse because they know that they are getting to you and they will feel even stronger. The main thing is to keep the police aware of what's going on, and try to lay as low as possible. These guys seem to find targets pretty fast, once they do, they may forget about you unless you stir the fire.
Avoid places where they may go, even if you have to take the long way. By no means confront them unless forced to do so. As for the drive by's, if they were serious, they would have already struck, but just in case find a safe spot for you and your family to sleep inside your house, I'ts best that everyone sleeps together in one room.
The cameras are a good Idea but don't help you when the shtf. The ar-15 could be good, but you don't wan't to kill your neighbors. And also during a drive by, they don't usually stop to socialize, so you have limited time to get your weapon.
You can defend against a drive by easy, If you have block walls, you're good to go. Just stay clear of the windows while asleep. If not block, I went and bought some cheep bookases to put along my front wall. Then I bought some ussed textbooks for about 10 cents a piece. Made a great bulletstop and made me look fairly intelligent.
Basically, don't take it lightly but don't take it too seriously. These guys are out for fear, they thrive on it. Just make sure you protect yourself and your family. I believe these guys will lay off soon, They often get bored with victims, they just want a rep with their peers. Just be careful however you handle it. Good luck.
Old December 18, 2006, 10:36 AM   #48
Duxman

Prophet,

This is a tough situation. Something similar happened to me (On not such a large scale) a while back.

About 6 years ago, I dated a divorced woman, and while we were dating her ex-husband came over to pick up the kids one time and answered the phone just as I was calling. Anyway, he was not happy that she had moved on, noted my phone number and started harassing me with calls and threats.

I spoke to legal counsel, and I was told to track all the caller ID information, call the state police and FBI and inform them of the threats. (He was from a neighboring state and there is a statue of making threats using the telephone becomes an FCC violation.) And I armed myself. (At that time an M92)

Nothing ever became of it. I broke up with the divorcee (Other reasons - namely other women who lived closer.) And life moved on.

In my limited experience with gang members, their shooting sucks. Unless they are point blank (we went to a firing range and noticed some "wanna be's" present and firing gangster style) the best thing you can do is stand still and they will miss every shot at 7 feet or more. (J/K dont count on their accuracy being all this messed up)

Just keep a cool head, stay alert. Always keep your weapon(s) handy. I suggest a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot - making shots in the dead of night, awakening from a deep sleep is going to be difficult at best with an AR 15. I also suggest laser sights. They are quite intimidating.
Old December 18, 2006, 01:29 PM   #49
Syntax360

I can't believe they are willing to travel out to Sherman just to sit in front of your house with music on

Sounds like stupid kids being stupid kids. I would forget about it and move on - I'm sure they'll do the same in no time.
Old December 18, 2006, 02:20 PM   #50
EEEZNOW

I would just relax. Don't let your guard down but relax. If these guys are that worried about a shouting match you got into with them over a week ago they are cowards in my opinion.

I work the door at a very busy nightclub. I deal with wannabe thugs all weekend. I get death threats all the time. These guys are just trying to scare you. Just get you a good 12 gauge with some buckshot.

Just try to chill out a little. Worrying is the worst part about the whole thing. I do understand where you are coming from though.

---Dallas C.---