The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2010, 06:10 PM   #1
FDNYTruckie

Shells Not Ejecting

I have recently reloaded my first batch of .45 ACP's. I followed the book and started at the lowest velocity for the powder I had. I used 185gr. copper jacketed bullets and 5.9 grains of Accurate No. 2 powder. Today I went to the range, expecting to shoot about 200 rounds through my SigSauer P220. I started shooting with factory loaded winchester 230gr HP's, and everything operated fine. When I began shooting my reloads I immediately noticed a difference in recoil, naturally because the rounds are loaded for a lower velocity, and have lighter bullets. However about 20 shots into my reloads a shell failed to eject. It was caught in the slide. I re-inspected the shell for any dents (all the cartridges were inspected at least twice during reloading) and found nothing wrong with it. I continued shooting and about 8 shots later, the same thing happened.
Could this be happening because the loads arent powerful enough that when upon firing the slide is not going fully backwards to eject the shell and re-load another? The gun is new (less than 500 rounds through it) so could the spring still being tight be a factor as well?
Should I increase the charge?
Old January 15, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
jepp2

I load for 9's and 40's. When I am loading "soft" loads, it is fairly common to run into fail to eject issues (NOT any extraction issues). It is further aggravated due to my OAL's being greater than the listed load.

I have a lighter recoil spring, but to shoot with a stock spring, I have to either increase the powder, or reduce the OAL. Either would increase the pressure.

I expect your are experiencing this, more than a strong spring.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
FDNYTruckie

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to increase the powder next batch and see how it helps.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
sourdough44

I'd step up the charge some, within listed data.
Old January 16, 2010, 12:25 AM   #5
qcpunk

Both Jepp and Sourdough are correct. If the gun has very few rounds through it, you may want to shoot a few hundred factory loads or full power loads to loosen things up. And remember, every gun has its own personality. Factory ammo is loaded to to function reliably in "99%" of guns. It may take some time to dial in your load. I have been doing exactly this lately myself. I stepped up in .2 grain steps until I found a good balance in recoil, paper punching accuracy, and reliable functioning. I hope everyone around here has helped and remember, the only dumb question is the one you didnt ask!

Cheers and happy reloading.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:49 PM   #6
hideaway

steping up the load is the first thing but also check that your sizeing die is ajusted to the correct leangth of your brass sometimes just a little will snag just enough to keep from ejecting.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:16 PM   #7
SL1

It is not uncommon

for loads with minimum charges to be "iffy" with respect to ejection. Work-up toward maximum charge in small steps, watching accuracy. Ejection should get reliable, first, and then accuracy should go through a minimum group size and then start getting worse again (although you may not be able to see that unless shooting with a rest at a distance like 25 yards).

SL1
Old January 19, 2010, 04:16 PM   #8
steelman762

I believe your problem is just an undersized load. I had a problem with 9mm factory ammo. I tried several different brands all with the same weight bullet 115gr ball. After taking measurements of the different cartridges in my conclusion it had more to do with the charge than length. Later I have found the same with reloading only a few grains made a differance. I learned only to load maybe five cartridges and test them before making a large batch. I hate pulling bullets. I also start with loads somewhere in the middle of min and max. Favoring the min end. I can usualy get it the first time.