The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2020, 06:00 PM   #51
ghbucky

Finally charged some cases

I've got some loads to do function and pressure checks this weekend.

I'm not super concerned about high accuracy. Where I live the only options I have for regular shooting are 25yd indoor ranges.

The rifle has a Leupold red dot non-magnified sight on it. That should clue you in on the rifle's purpose.

Once I've got a couple of loads worked out and know where I am at with reliable, safe rounds I'll load up and head to my brother's place where I can get some 100 yd range work in.

At the end of the day, factory loads (if I can ever find some that aren't plinking rounds) will server my purpose, but I figured it would be fun to get back into loading and do something new.
Old May 1, 2023, 01:13 PM   #52
ghbucky

Update!

I never updated this!

I dug this thread up to provide the link to another user, and I read through it again, and I never provided an update.

I did some upgrades on the rifle and found a nice range where I can out to a few hundred yards (2 hour drive, though).

I ended up being thrilled when I fired an honest to goodness sub-moa three shot group at 100yds.

Thanks again for all the help I was provided here.
Old May 1, 2023, 01:31 PM   #53
Unclenick
Staff

Glad it worked out. Now you are likely going to catch the accuracy bug to see if you can improve further on that, not because you need to, but because you can.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 2, 2023, 02:48 AM   #54
Metal god

LOL ..... 3 years later you update a thread about starting to reload rifles . Hell you should be an expert by now . I'm going to start asking you for advice now haha .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 2, 2023, 06:04 AM   #55
Shadow9mm

Glad it worked out well. Few odd nuances like trimming, but hand loads for rifles have proved much better than factory ammo in my experience.
Old May 3, 2023, 05:08 PM   #56
44 AMP
Staff

Congrats, glad it worked well for you!

I would point out that you're not just loading for a rifle, you're loading for a semi auto rifle, as well. Anything that runs in your semi auto will also run fine in manual actions, but the reverse is not true.

With a bolt action (for example) you can, if you choose, run loads and use brass prep techniques that are not suitable in some semi autos.

Not something you'll probably run into until you get into loading for different rifles.