The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1
chewie146

9mm Coup de Grace Elk?

Ok, the elk season is finally here, and I'm getting the .30-06 out to do some hopeful hunting. I haven't shot an elk in 3 years, and I'm ready. Here's my question (donning flame-retardant suit): Will a 9mm with soft point ammo have enough punch for a coup de grace on a cow? I'd like to pack my 9mm, as it's light and easy to pack. In this state, it is required that hunting arms be center-fire and greater than .24 caliber in order to be legal (including pistols.) I'm not talking about taking a shot on a standing animal, but simply putting one out that is already down. Opinions?

P.S. FMJ is illegal, which is why I opt for soft points.
Old October 27, 2011, 12:08 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I reckon it should be gobs-o-plenty for an up close personal kill shot...

I bet a .22lr at point blank range would never fail to kill as well..

Brent
Old October 27, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3
reconcoupe

I believe so....

http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksd...s/chapter1.htm

Page 51, in reference to WWII small arms.
Old October 27, 2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Wyoredman

What's wrong with just shooting it again in the head with your '06 if you need to end it after the first hit? I'm a bit confused?
Old October 27, 2011, 12:28 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

Be careful and check your state laws,,,

I know this sounds ridiculous,,,
But in some states you can be prosecuted for finishing off the animal with a handgun.

There have been many threads on that subject right here.

One I remember was the man downed a deer,,,
Walked up to the still kicking animal with his pistol,,
But the animal expired before he shot it so he holstered his gun..

There was a game warden hiding,,,
He came out and said something like,,,
"You got lucky this time. I almost got you there."

Apparently some states think the coup de gras is "hunting",,,
Last shot into it was what "hunted" it.

It's ridiculous but I would still verify that it's legal in your state.

Aarond.

P.S.
Quote:
What's wrong with just shooting it again in the head with your '06 if you need to end it after the first hit? I'm a bit confused?
Maybe he wants to mount the trophy.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 27, 2011, 12:31 PM   #6
kd7sgm

Just like an off switch I am sure
Old October 27, 2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Wyoredman

OK, then shoot in in the heart again with his '06. Right behind the shoulder, low in the ribs. Worried about lost meat I suppose.
Old October 27, 2011, 01:28 PM   #8
chewie146

Well there are a couple things. The first is that a close range shot with an 06 is going to be a lot of energy dumped into the head. That's kind of a mess. Second, shooting it again in the ribs, etc, is lost meat. The 9mm is technically legal for hunting here as it is a center fire rifle or handgun greater than .24 caliber, and depending on bullet selection, contains a suitable bullet. It'll be a cow hunt, so I'm not worried about a trophy. I have killed my good-sized bull, and I'm happy with it. The meat on a large bull kind of sucks. Most of it goes into the grinder. Cows are much better in general.
Old October 27, 2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Wyoredman

I suppose a 9mm would work fine, then. Or about any other legal handgun, if you are so inclined. Or you could use your knife. Personally, I would just shoot it again with my rifle. Fast, done, over... I had to put a horse down last year, used my '06 from two feet. No mess, very humane. Works.
Old October 27, 2011, 01:50 PM   #10
C0untZer0

What is 9mm soft-point ammo?

Are reloading or something?
Old October 27, 2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Daryl

Since you've apparently checked to be sure it's legal (it's also legal here in Arizona), yes, it should do the job admirably.

Hollow points would also work, and don't fall into the category of FMJ that are illegal in many states.

You don't need a whole lot of penetration for a finishing neck shot.

Daryl
Old October 27, 2011, 02:22 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

But why buy a round for the pistol when it is so easy to pith an animal for dispatch?

Brent
Old October 27, 2011, 03:25 PM   #13
briandg

The only thing left to mention is that you should avoid anything with a rounded, sharp profile. They could, once in a while, turn on bone. Hit a glancing blow on that skull, or clip a vertebra wrong and you have to keep shooting. no big deal, I figure, but you don't want to take multiple finishing shots. Even a mortally wounded elk may recover when you bounce a 9 mm off of his noggin.
Old October 27, 2011, 04:37 PM   #14
chewie146

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....oft-point-ammo for the person who asked what 9mm soft point ammo is. I'm not worried about maximal expansion, but it does meet the legal requirement for an "exposed lead or hollow tip." No need to reload. I have a bunch left over from when I bought ammo during the crisis and it's all I could find.
Old October 27, 2011, 06:27 PM   #15
30-30remchester

Have never finished off an elk with a 9mm, though while guiding elk hunters for 9 years, I finished off @12 deer and elk each year using a 22 pistol with hp ammo. Only a few required more than one shot. So I would think the 9mm would be more than up to the task.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I know this sounds ridiculous,,,
But in some states you can be prosecuted for finishing off the animal with a handgun.
+1. In Wyoming, a .357 is illegal to hunt with, even if just used for finishing off an animal.

However, if you've checked and a 9mm is legal, soft points should certainly do the job.
Old October 27, 2011, 10:05 PM   #17
spclPatrolGroup

In some states it is ileagal to posses a firearm that is not legally allowed to take the game you are hunting with. So if the regs say that you cannot hunt Elk with a 9mm, then it may not be legal to even have with you. But I have no clue what the NM regs are, so you will want to confirm that.
Old October 28, 2011, 09:36 AM   #18
Wyoredman

Kreyzhorse,

You are mistaken. Please don't pass on eronious information.

Taken from WGF web site:

Section 4. Firearms and cartridges that are legal for the taking of big or trophy game animals.
(a) Wyoming statutes authorize the use of a firearm which has a barrel bore diameter of at least twenty-three-hundredths (23/100) of an inch and is chambered to fire a center-fire cartridge not less than two (2) inches in overall length, including a soft or expanding point bullet seated to a normal depth, or a muzzle-loading rifle which has a barrel bore diameter of at least forty-hundredths (40/100) of an inch and a charge of at least fifty (50) grains of black powder or equivalent, or a muzzle-loading specialty single shot handgun which has a barrel length of not less than ten (10) inches, a bore diameter of at least forty-five-hundredths (45/100) of an inch and which propels a projectile of two hundred forty (240) grains at not less than five hundred (500) foot pounds at one hundred (100) yards.
(b) In addition, the Commission authorizes any other cartridge fired from a firearm that has a barrel bore diameter of at least thirty-five hundredths (35/100) of an inch and the cartridge generally delivers at least five hundred (500) ft-pounds of impact at one hundred (100) yards and cartridges used are loaded with a soft, or expanding point bullet.

So any .357 tha impacts with 500 ft/lbs at 100 yards is legal in this state.

http://gf.state.wy.us/admin/regulations/pdf/Ch32.pdf

Good hunting.
Old October 28, 2011, 09:51 AM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've not done many coup de grace shots, but putting .243 or '06 bullet #2 into the neck never made any mess or ruined any meat I otherwise would have eaten.
Old October 28, 2011, 12:18 PM   #20
tahunua001

for an up close put em outta their misery, a 9mm should work for an elk. I wouldn't want to risk it with a bull though, I wouldn't want to take the chance of hitting an antler by mistake. a 30-06 is just as effective but if you feel confident that you can hit a flailing cow head at 10 feet then good on you, better to end it's suffering than to attempt a second torso shot that could just wound it further and damage more meat
Old October 28, 2011, 06:05 PM   #21
cornbush

I had an antelope this year that was missing most of its lungs and part of the heart, no pulse but still trying to breath and blinking.
I got my knife out and severed the brain stem from the spinal cord..... instant lights out and very, very quick if you have a basic knowledge of animal anatomy.