The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 3, 2011, 04:38 PM   #1
postmaster

Sig 226 .22 conversion kit

I may have asked this before, but does anyone have a sig with a conversion kit? If so do they function well? I'm buying a 226 9mm with kit included. Any problems or suggestions on best ammo or the gun itself much appreciated'

thanks
Old August 3, 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
BigJimP

Yes, I've had a Sig 226 conversion kit for about a year or so.

Its a well made conversion kit ...and like most conversion kits they seem to function almost flawlessly with CCI Mini Mag ammo. They don't function very well with the bulk ammo ...Remington or whatever.../ and if I insist on running the cheap bulk .22 ammo thru them ...I get 25% FTF, etc and it gets way too aggravating...

They're pretty accurate ...its certainly a way to get your cost for practice down a little ...and get some trigger time with the bigger gun.

CCI Mini Mag ammo in my area is costing between $ 10 and $ 12 for a box of 100 rds. I reload ...and I can reload a premium bullet in a 9mm for right at $ 5 for a box of 50 rds ...or $ 10 for 100 rds...so when I can shoot 9mm for less than what it costs me to shoot CCI Mini Mag ...I don't shoot the conversion kits too much. I keep the conversion kits around mostly for the grandkids ( I have 2 kits for my 1911's too ) - so they can shoot a gun that looks like the bigger gun ...and still have some fun. But I do think the conversion kits have a place for training ...especially if you're buying your 9mm ammo retail at $ 14 - $ 16 for a box of 50 these days.

But nothing wrong with the Sig kit in my opinion.
Old August 3, 2011, 06:30 PM   #3
BeachHead

I've had the same experience as BigJim when it comes to ammo selection. CCI Mini Mags, CCI Blazer, and Winchester Super-X were all outstanding. My value packs of Remington and Federal are collecting dust.

The included instructions advise using the slide release rather than the sling-shot method to chamber a new round from a fresh magazine. I found this to be true as manually actuating the slide occasionally caused hang-ups on the feedramp.

The .22 kit was bought as a training tool to practice trigger pull and sight picture, but I found it more useful as a fun plinker. However you intend to use it, good luck!
Old August 4, 2011, 10:51 AM   #4
postmaster

I'm a little worried about the feeding problem with the .22

. I have a walther that doesn't like cheap stuff either.

Thanks for the feedback. I might also consider a kimber with .22 kit. I will cost about 200 more but may be worth it.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:49 AM   #5
BigJimP

The Kimber kits are more finnicky on ammo than the sig kits...

I have a Kimber kit on a 5" Kimber gold combat stainless ...and the only thing it will cycle is CCI MiniMag.

I have a Wilson Combat kit as well on a 5" CQB Wilson - and its a little better in terms of the way it locks up / and its more accurate than the Kimber kit - but it still will not operate on much other than CCI Mini Mag.

None of the conversion kits are going to cycle all of the bulk ammo ...

The only semi-auto .22 that I have that will cycle bulk ammo - is a Browning Buckmark ...and I'm shocked that it does so well, with the cheap Rem bulk ammo.
Old August 4, 2011, 02:07 PM   #6
rebelhippiechick

.22 conversion in Sig P220

I have a .22 conversion kit on my Sig P220. I bought it from Sig and had to send it and my gun back right after I bought it, due to jamming and the conversion magazine wouldn't lock into the gun. After they returned it, I still had problems with jamming. I bought an aftermarket kit from someone recommended on this site that modified the magazine, and that really helped. The conversion still doesn't like cheap ammo, though. It likes the ultra high speed stuff.
Old August 4, 2011, 05:11 PM   #7
postmaster

thank god for cci

I guess most .22 kits are touchy. I was also thinking about the kimber, but now I just don't know. Confused
Old August 4, 2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Hammerhead

I have the P220 kit. Ran great right out of the box.
It's not that it doesn't like cheap ammo, it's just that it doesn't like wimpy (low power) ammo.
Those Remington and Federal discount boxes just don't seem to deliver the fps they advertise, or the bullets are too light.
CCI Blazer is inexpensive and functions just fine in the Sig conversion and it runs clean. Mini Mags are great of course, and Stingers are downright awesome in it. Nice power and terrific accuracy.
Mine will even run CCI standard velocity 99%.
The Slide doesn't lock back on the Sig conversion, but the FP retaining pin keeps the FP from hitting the chamber face in case it gets dry fired.

It's a darn good conversion with a smooth bore that stays clean, it shoots straight and runs fine with quality ammo.

Buy a brick of Blazers and see if it doesn't cure any problems with your conversion.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:14 PM   #9
sigcurious

Postmaster, if you're buying p226 9mm+.22 conversion, you should look into the p226 in .22 and getting the 9mm conversion. Unless you're buying a used p226 in a major caliber, there are savings going .22 -> major vs major ->.22 and you end up with the the same hardware(when buying the base model 226). Why sig does this I don't know, but if you dont already own one part or the other you should check out that option. If you want the E2 grips to ask or make sure they're actually featured, a lot of places still have the previous models with the old grips.

Anywho, I can let you know how mine runs next week when I can pick it up
Old August 4, 2011, 06:44 PM   #10
Microgunner

Mine was a little fussy at first but smoothed out after awhile. It likes quality HV ammo. Mine particularly likes CCI Mini-Mag.
Accuracy is good but not competition good, but I don't believe it was intended to be.
Old August 5, 2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Flakbait

I have a Sig 226 with a 22LR conversion kit. The 22LR conversion kit runs everything I feed it pretty much the same, CCI Mini-mags, Winchester copperplated HV bulk 333, other bulk ammo. I think the manual says to use high velocity 22LR. I only like to use copperplated 22LR ammo (both bulk and more expensive CCI) since I hate getting lead dust all over my fingers. Since the 22LR system utilizes simple blowback like all 22 LR pistols, ammunition quality really affects reliable function...thankfully my gun likes the cheap stuff unlike my previous Ruger 22/45 Mark III which seemed to stovepipe everything but CCI. I think it had something to do with all the added safety devices which hinder smooth function of the recoil system.

I think it is a great conversion kit for training and plinking, transitioning kids from rimfire to centerfire. I don't think the 22LR is as accurate as a dedicated target 22LR pistol like a S&W Model 41 but its not priced that way either.

The conversion kit is simple to install, and breakdown for cleaning. Just place the gun in slidelock, turn one lever, and pull off the slide, just like fieldstripping the regular Sig centerfire.

This is much better that that terrible Ruger 22/45 Mark III pistol I sold which pinched me several times (drawing blood!) and required flipping the gun upside down, right side up, inserting the mag, pulling the trigger, pulling the mag out, hitting it with a rubber mallot etc. I can't believe Ruger has sold millions of those things because they are inherently complicated to field strip. Do a google search for all the internet help pages on fieldstripping Ruger 22LR pistols...its unbelievable they stuck with that decades old design.

I think the one big advantage of the Sig 22LR conversion kit is that it is simple clean and fieldstrip... much easier than a 1911. I bought an aftermarket magazine adapter which made the slide lock back on the last shot (factory 22LR doesn't do that).

Of course, if you want a 1911 22LR, there are a lot to choose from these days.

Last edited by Flakbait; August 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old August 5, 2011, 01:50 PM   #12
postmaster

thanks all for good feedback. I think the .22 first then either the 226 or 239. Which one do you think is best?
Old August 5, 2011, 02:06 PM   #13
BigJimP

As far as .22's go ...in terms of a lot of gun for the money, I would go with a Browning Buckmark and forget the Sigs.

Sigs are fine guns ...and mechanically the 226 and 239 are both strong guns. I like the fit and size and weight of the 226 in my hands ....but I like the width and size and weight of the 239 in terms of a carry gun alternative - and the little extender on the bottom of the mag - makes the 239 a pretty easy gun to shoot even with big hands.

If I could only have one Sig -- for a range gun, I'd pick a 226. If I wanted a small carry gun ...it would be the 239. I have 226's in 9mm and .40S&W and 239's in 9mm and .40S&W ...and I shoot all 4 guns about the same in either caliber.
Old August 5, 2011, 02:07 PM   #14
Flakbait

226 is the classic full size pistol used by the Navy Seals! I can't think of a better traditional double action/single action pistol for target shooting/home defense than a Sig 226. There is not much advantage to the smaller Sig gun unless you want it for concealed carry. Even for concealed carry, the 229 is rather large requiring a dedicated belt holster.

There are a host of other smaller, lighter 9MM pistols that are better equipped for concealed pocket carry i.e. Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9, Taurus Slim, Kimber Solo.

Even in 9MM, shooting small guns get old very quickly (lots of recoil) whereas I could probably shoot a full size steel/aluminum 9 MM all day if someone provided the ammo.

Last edited by Flakbait; August 5, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old August 5, 2011, 02:12 PM   #15
sigcurious

I don't think the p239(or did you mean 229?) has much in the way of caliber conversion capabilities. It's also a subcompact. So I vote for the p226. If buying online I would check out Osage County Guns and Nelson Tactical on gunbroker, Grabagun.com also. They have similar prices and make a good point for comparison. Some places give 2 magazines while others only give 1 with the classics, mags are $30-40 so don't forget to factor that into your cost decision.
Old August 11, 2011, 01:28 PM   #16
postmaster

Bought the 226!

BOUGHT THE 226! I bought the 226 special Gadsen pistol, and a .22 kit. I get it tomorrow yoohoo!! They only made 1,776 with the Gadsen flag etched into the frame. You know the "don't tread on me snake" I will post pictures when I get it.
Old August 11, 2011, 02:10 PM   #17
Microgunner

Congratulations.
Old August 11, 2011, 03:40 PM   #18
BigJimP

Congratulations - I think you'll like it a lot.