The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
sks

Benelli Super Nova - Browning BPS - Remington 887

Well I have narrowed my choices down, I think, to the Super Nova $459, BPS $569 and 887 $339.

The 887 seemed to mount and point the easiest but it sure is UGLY. I think ducks might fall just at the sight of it. Sort of felt like Darth Vadar with that thing. It is the Nitro Express model.

The BPS was solid and smooth. Nice wood, etc. What can I say, it is a Browning.

The Super Nova was black synthetic and seemed more solid than the 887. Not that any were bad but it was the better feel as far as quality.

Would like some input from those who have these or have experience with them.

Thanks,
Old March 3, 2010, 04:05 PM   #2
COYOTE JLR

I have a Super Nova and I love it. Never had any issues with it and it seems to be super resistant to rust. I've yet to shoot a Benelli that I didn't like and I have yet to shoot a Remington that I really enjoyed, but that's just me. Benellis just seem to fit me like a glove and Remingtons don't. My buddy is the opposite.

If the Remington fits you best, get that. You'll shoot it better and the aesthetics don't matter...... too much

I think all three are fine guns.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Leif

For what purpose is the shotgun intended?

I would say that the BPS is the best of the three that you listed in terms of quality, and you should be able to get one for much less that $569 (I should know, because I have one in the for sale section of the forum, and am willing to negotiate). The BPS ejects to the bottom, not to the side, which some people don't like. It has an excellent tang safety, which is fast and quiet. It is somewhat heavy, but that just helps absorb more recoil, right?
Old March 3, 2010, 04:22 PM   #4
stonesfan08

i have the nova i tricked it out a bit i have a extended mag and recoil reducer in the stock and fiber optics and i love mine. made a home made plug so i can still hunt with it. only use the plug when i am hunting though. it can hold 5 3 1/2's. damn nice gun never had a problem with it had it for like 6 years now clay shoot most of the time. family banded it from turkey shoots. i can get back on target with mine very fast recoil is no problem for me unless i am shooting a few boxes of high brass turkey loads then i bothers me but i am a little guy anyway. good gun. and brownings are made in japan
Old March 3, 2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Leif

Quote:
brownings are made in japan
So? What difference does that make to anything? You do realize that Benelli is an Italian company, don't you?
Old March 3, 2010, 04:28 PM   #6
sks

Coyote: Thanks for the input. My wife has a Montefeltro .20 but it is a youth model and just too short for me. Aesthetics don't matter too much to me. I have one of the gold engraved 92FS 10th anniversary guns that I've shot so much that the gold is worn off of the hammer. I buy em to use em.

As I stated the 887 just mounted and pointed better but that doesn't always mean I'll shoot it better.

Leif: The bottom ejection doesn't matter to me. I can even see some benefit to it as far as staying clean; ie debris falling inside. But it really won't matter.

I want this to be an all around gun; squirrel, rabbit, quail, skeet, deer, etc. The BPS was heavier but also really smooth.

One thing I liked about the Benelli is how it releases the bolt each time you fire. As I've not had experience with pump shotguns I'm not sure this is important but at the same time if it is a feature then I'm sure some would deem it important.

Thanks for the input.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:30 PM   #7
sks

Stones: Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I see no one has mentioned the 887. I almost like it because it is so ugly!

Where the gun is made doesn't matter to me, especially with these three brands. I drive a Ford made in Canada and Honda made in Ohio.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Leif

The bottom eject is great in a duck blind - you don't wind up ejecting empties at the person next to you!

Also, I've shot a lot of trap, including handicap trap, with the BPS, and it works just fine for that purpose, although loading one shell at a time is a little slower because of it being a bottom eject.
Old March 3, 2010, 05:16 PM   #9
BigJimP

You should always buy the gun that fits you the best - drop at comb, drop at heel, lenght of pull ...

Having said that - my personal favorite pump gun is the BPS. I have BPS Hunter models, 28" barrels, in both 12ga and 20ga ....and have had them for over 30 years ... The actions are smooth / they are cast neutral - and I like the safety on the tang (especially if you're shooting with gloves on ) and the bottom ejection is nice.

I'm not a big Remington fan / but its not a bad gun either ...but you don't seem to like the Rem 887 model ... If I want to shoot a semi-auto, I shoot a Benelli ( Super Sport in 12 or 20ga is my preference ) ... and for waterfowl, I just camo tape / or electrical tape up the bright receiver ....but I can shoot a pump gun about as fast as a semi-auto because I've trained myself to operate the pump while the gun remains on my shoulder / and my cheek stays on the comb ( long arms help ) ...

There isn't anything wrong with the Super Nova ...but I like the controls, fit and finish on the BPS a lot better....

but the question is what do you like /what fits you ...not what fits me ...
Old March 3, 2010, 05:26 PM   #10
sks

BigJim: Actually the 887 did point the best for me and to throw it up to my shoulder it was the best. I know that doesn't translate to actual shooting though. If I buy the 887 then I would have enough money left over to get loads and loads of shells.

I have Browning handguns and rifles and they are fine weapons. I'm new to the shotgun world so to speak and really enjoying the feedback.

Gun snob I am not and will fire anything that works regardless of the name or the looks. My old Stevens single shot .12 is dead on for me because I've learned to shoot the old thing over 20 years. The price on all of these is right in my range although there is a nice Beretta o/u that is not. It is a 686 (I think) used for $859.00!

Leif: thanks for the input. Not sure if I'll do duck hunting with it but that would be a nice consideration for my friends.

At any rate, I'll let you all know what happens.

Thanks again
Old March 3, 2010, 08:42 PM   #11
John Peddie

BPS

I've shot a BPS almost exclusively for several years.

Leif's comments are bang on, in my experience. I've read that the BPS is harder to reassemble if detail stripped for cleaning, and I know Browning recommends that you don't do it yourself.

My alternate is my old Ithaca 37-much like the BPS, maybe an ancestor, but I prefer the top tang safety on the Browning.

Yes, the BPS is a bit more expensive than the others you named, but over the life of the gun, it's maybe the price of a Big Mac once every few months, if that. With a bit of care, your granchildren will shoot it.
Old March 3, 2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Jixer

One thing to consider if you like to swap out parts and stuff is the cost of those parts.

I had a Benelli Super Nova tactical that I liked a lot, but since it came with an 18" barrel, I was looking to buy a longer 26" or 28" barrel to do some trap shooting.

Good luck trying to find a place that sells Benelli barrels, let alone barrels that don't cost almost as much as the shotgunitself.

I liked the Benelli, but I sold it and got me a different make/model (okay, it's a Mossberg 930 semi, but I'm happy with the change).
Old March 3, 2010, 09:10 PM   #13
sks

Jixer: not interested in swapping parts. I'll take the gun as is and use it that way. This will not turn into a tactical gun at all or anything else. That way I'll just have to buy some other guns for those purposes.

I'll go back to the store tomorrow and handle them some more.

Thanks for the input.
Old March 3, 2010, 10:55 PM   #14
sks

Does the BPS have the magazine cutoff option? I really like that in the SuperNova.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:18 PM   #15
rbernie

The Rem 887 shoulders and swings like a misshapen club for me; it's really bulky and awkward and the balance seemed wrong for anything other than standing in a store while slowly manipulating it.

But that's just me. Of the three choices, I would choose the Browning.
Old March 4, 2010, 07:31 AM   #16
Leif

Quote:
Does the BPS have the magazine cutoff option? I really like that in the SuperNova.
No, it does not have a magazine cutoff.
Old March 4, 2010, 08:03 AM   #17
sks

Thanks Leif.
Old March 4, 2010, 02:38 PM   #18
BigJimP

A magazine cut off button - in any of the clays games - isn't a factor because you can never have more than 2 shells in the gun ( or any shells in the chamber or magazine ) unless you are on the shooting pad.

I can see where it might be nice in the field - to be able to unload the chamber and lock out the magazine feed .... but it only takes a second to clear the magazine and the chamber if you want to unload for some reason ..and then reload the magazine with 2 shells - especially with the BPS - because the shells drop right in the palm of your hand, out of the bottom of the receiver, as you cycle the action. With a little practice - it becomes a real fluid motion to unload the BPS.
Old March 4, 2010, 03:28 PM   #19
RoscoeC

I got no dog in this hunt, and I have not personally shot the 887. When they were first released I was anxious to get to handle one and I did that at Gander Mountain, but haven't had opportunity to shoot one.

With all that said, I have done a bit of research, and have found very little positive comment about the 887.

Based on that, there would have to be something pretty compelling about the 887 to get me to buy one over either of the other choices.
NRA Life Member
Old March 6, 2010, 01:12 PM   #20
sks

Well I decided on the Super Nova. Here are a few pics. Hope to get out and shoot it soon. Did not go with the camo, it was $90.00 extra and I don't see that as an issue. Never had a camo gun before but have been successful.

Thanks to all for your advice and input.

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG
Old March 6, 2010, 01:16 PM   #21
sks

Couple of more pics. Wish I was a better photographer.

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG
Old March 14, 2010, 08:33 PM   #22
sks

Range report

Finally got to take the Super Nove shooting on Friday. Went with my wife and a couple of friends to shoot skeet. The Super Nova was great. Although I was shooting light loads, the recoil was almost non existent. Took a short while to get acclimated to working the pump but soon we were able to hit doubles.

The weather was mid 40s with rain so it was almost like being out in the field.

All in all I was well pleased with the SN and can't wait to shoot it som more.

Thanks to all for your input and advice.
Old March 15, 2010, 11:00 AM   #23
BigJimP

Thanks for the update / glad to hear you like the new gun.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:20 PM   #24
dgludwig

Quote:
Does the BPS have the magazine cutoff option?
I think the older BPS shotguns did have a magazine cut-off. I'm not sure why Browning eliminated that feature. Probably manufacturing costs and/or consumer lack of interest.
Old March 17, 2010, 08:16 PM   #25
sks

BigJimP: I really did like the Super Nova. Gloves would have been nice with the weather but it was just superb. Hope to get back out on Friday and shoot 200-300 rounds. Give me an excuse to break it down and clean it.

On another note, this was my wife's fourth time skeet shooting with her Montefeltro 20 gauge and she has really improved. She likes it and will probably spend a lot of money this spring and summer shooting skeet. I might have to start relolading shotgun now.

dgludwig: Yeah, I can see the use of this feature but at the same time can also understand where people might not care. Glad the Super Nova has it at any rate.