The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 3, 2008, 03:55 PM   #1
publius

rattled up a good one

I ahd a good buck walk past me this past weekend. I was hunting a road and he walked past me parallel in the woods. Couldn't tell how good he was so I waited to see if a definite good one was following. After about 5 min. I figured I would rattle to see if he would come out on the road to get a beter look. He did and was a good one, I kept second guesing myself he looked up the road and walked toward me til he got about 50 yds. Offered me a perfect shot. I didn't take it and wish I had. Did I educate him on rattling? Do yu think he will respond to rattling this weekend or would there be a greater possibility of it spooking him?
Old December 3, 2008, 11:38 PM   #2
.41 rem mag fan

Did he see you or suspect you? If not, I think there is still a good chance of bringing him back in. Why did you not shoot?
Old December 4, 2008, 10:47 AM   #3
publius

He didn't see me, don't think he suspected anything except he couldn't see any fighting where he thought he should see some. I'm hunting just outside of waco, TX. I'm originally from Mississippi where the deer, when they get old, get big and fat w/antler mass, these deer just don't get fat and the antlers don't have a whole lot of mass. If he's young I want to let him walk so he can have his way w/a few more does. Also we have 3 bucks in MS, 1 in TX. I knew he was a shooter though almost immediately after he went back in the woods. Not going to play this weekend, I'm taking my .338.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:57 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Publius... Please don't take this as a jab at you or rack hunting. IMHO I want them young and dumb! I won't pass on a rack that is large but if I had a huge large racked slob deer and a decent size with a scrawny twiggy 6 point side by side... 6 is DOWN!!!
Brent
Old December 10, 2008, 01:57 PM   #5
sureshots

Hotdogs

Hotdogs, How about the other one? Ha!! I wouldn't want to be him either.