The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2006, 11:13 PM   #1
roy reali

The Other Semi

I have been looking to add a semi-auto shotgun in the near future. At first I was looking at Remingtons and Berettas. I realize that Berettas are smoother then the Remingtons, but considerably more expensive. Recently I ran into this fellow that was shooting a Franchi.

I noticed that price wise, they seem to split the difference between the Berettas and the Remingtons.

Does anyone have any experience with the quality of Franchi shotguns? Is the quality somewhere in between too?
Old March 31, 2006, 04:26 PM   #2
duckcallinfool

Franchi is a good gun. Is "inertia driven" like the Benelli. And is owned by Beretta just like Benelli. Correct me if I am wrong guys but Franchi is to Benelli as Winchester is to Browning.
Old April 3, 2006, 10:44 PM   #3
Bigfatts

I don't know about the Franchi but if you're looking at others than the standard brands, you should definately consider the CZ 712. At least find one and hold it. I was in the market for an O/U until I held one of the CZ's. It had one of the smoothest actions I have ever felt in a shotgun, and it's only $399! It points very naturally, has nice furniture and is chambered in 3". If I can swindle the money out of the wifey I'll let you know how it shoots.
Old April 4, 2006, 03:24 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Hey Bigfatts, why isn't the 712 shown here, on the 'shotguns' page of cz-usa?

http://www.cz-usa.com/products_shotguns.php?m=1

I'm wondering, since both the CZ 712 and my NEF excel auto 5 are made in Turkey, are they the same gun? The CZs are Huglu factory guns, but I dunno what my NEF is.

http://hugluarmsco.com/
Old April 4, 2006, 05:14 PM   #5
oletymer

They don't show them because they quit importing them. Too many problems.
Old April 4, 2006, 09:56 PM   #6
hoghunting

The quality of the Franchi is the same as Beretta and Benelli. The Franchi and some of the Benellis are almost the same guns. Their operating systems are the same and they function the same. That's what happens when they are all owned by the same company.

The Franchi is a well made gun and I have not had any regret in owning one.