The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 29, 2005, 03:37 PM   #1
taralon

Hunting Vacation Advice

Well, I've got a bunch of vacation time that I'm going to finally be able to use here in march/april or so, and am trying to set one up.

I would like to do some hunting during it. It looks as if the only type open to me is either hog hunting, or exotic game. I'd really like to get one or the other in as this last year saw me out in the field only a couple times, and did not come close to scratching my itch to be out in the wilds and such. My father's boss has recommended that I try High Adventure Ranch in Missouri for exotic game hunting at well it sounds good.

However, being as I have several weeks to get this set up, I'd like opinions. Anyone have a place within 800-900 miles or so of Colorado that they could recommend?
Old December 29, 2005, 04:49 PM   #2
zeisloft

TEXAS, I have no one in particular to recoment, But most of the places round here that offer an exotic hunt will allow and encourage hog hunting as well. Look in the areas between Abilene and San Antone, seems to be the most ferral exotic population in the state from what I have seen.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old December 29, 2005, 09:38 PM   #3
MarkTT

My father, my buddy and I all had a blast at Caryonah Hunting Lodge in the Cumberland Mountains of TN. Lodge is about 20 minutes out of Crossville. Comfortable lodge, great friendly atmosphere, informative and friendly staff. Our guide was incredible, I learned more in the few hours I spent with him than I did reading every book I could find on boar hunting. Two big meals served each day, and Crossville is a short drive from the lodge for dinner or evening activities.

They have several thousand acres, with a huge variety of game to choose from. We were after boar, and all 3 of us got a good sized hog. Mine was a mostly russian with some razorback sow, good 220lbs+. They'll butcher your kill for you, and vaccum seal everything for the trip back home.

http://www.caryonah.com/

Old December 30, 2005, 10:02 AM   #4
siotwo

TX hill country....Kerrville area is known for exotics. Free range and game ranch alike. Better have your check book handy for the trophy's, but does can be very affordable (compaired). For the ultimate, look at Triple 7 (Hondo, TX IIRC) supreme accomidations and animals. There is one other super ranch, but I can't remember the name. YO ranch is supposed to be great also.
Old December 30, 2005, 10:45 AM   #5
taylorce1

Try talking to Clay Pope of Pope Brothers Guide Service at www.varmintexpress.com I talked to him about a hunt I wanted to do. Very easy to talk to and if you want to hunt pigs there were no trophy fees on the hunt he offerd me just a flat rate for his service. He was the best deal I found and he covers a pretty large area of TX.

Also happy to meet a fellow Coloradan, and I hope you enjoy your hunt whatever you choose.

Fixed that "N".

Last edited by taylorce1; December 30, 2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old December 30, 2005, 12:41 PM   #6
taralon

Thankns for the sites so far. (Oh and you missed an N Taylor). I've gotten a bunch so far that I'm sorting through, and I am finding that the 'all inclusive' really isn't so all inclusive when you actually inquire into what is included, and what is not. I've got several emails out for additonal information, and am currently waiting for replies.

Though hog hunting can be a blast, I do have contacts in Texas through my brother that I can do that with. I'm not entirely sure I even really consider it hunting, as the last few times I've been down there, we've easily bagged five apiece a day.

I am looking for a 'wall hanger' and am leaning towards either a Goat/Sheep ram which I think look rather handsome in a shoulder mount.

If anyone else has any thoughts, please feel free.
Old January 3, 2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Jack O'Conner

Several exotic sheep to choose from these days:

Black Hawaiian and Texas Dall are same species just different colors. Curly cue horns are common.

Mouflon or Armenian from Greek Isles have heart shaped horns, light saddle patch, and unique tail.

Corsican are actually a hybrid but very handsome.

Catalina or Spanish goat are fairly common throughout Texas.

Ibex are awesome! Native to Israel, Iran, and Arabia. But plan to make many phone calls to find where the big ones can be hunted.
Jack