The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 16, 2014, 03:36 PM   #1
JimDandy

Making your own range bag from Molle system

Started picking up various surplus stuff with multiple interests, a quasi bug-out bag, backpacking/hunting, and a range bag big enough for my brass catcher. Picked up an ILBE set for hunting/backpacking. Found out the assault pack was too small for for the CTK Brass Catcher I own (19x14 or so) and the army assault pack is JUST big enough if I'm willing to stretch the fabric, though I'm more inclined to just either shorten the "legs" a skosh, or let them poke out the top as the self-standing Manfroto 682B monopodwon't fit either, even if I stretch.

Right now I've got the assault pack, butt pack, and a first aid kit looped together. I have a Condor Nalgene water bottle carrier on the way. The assault pack's main pocket can hold the brass catcher, and the monopod (unless I tie it on across the bottom, which I'm not inclined to do as it's wider than I am.)

Questions:

I've been thinking about a Eagle Canteen pouch and PVS liner for my electronic ear pro. Anyone have this set up, and think an over the ear set will fit?

The official pistol mag holders don't fit loaded 1911 Mags, but you can stretch over empty ones. Leads me to believe I can also stretch over a loaded 1911 mag and eventually they'll fit. Anyone able to confirm this?

Alternately, can anyone confirm if an 8 round 1911 magazine like this one will or won't fit in a 40mm HE grenade pouch? I don't have any of the grenade pouches yet, so before I get any, I'm hoping to confirm alternate uses before I get them and throw them in the useless holster box.