The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2010, 06:30 AM   #1
cbhester

More 30-06 Bench Rest Questions?

Thanks for all of the help in my last thread regarding the best bullets to use for bench rest shooting in 30-06. All of my things to load this caliber came in yesterday and I hope to try my hand at some bench rest shooting on Saturday for the first time. I am going to load several different powders and different amounts of powder as well. From someone who has done this before: have you found that for 1000+ yards using a heavier bullet(210gr) does better with an average charge or a hotter charge. I mainly just want to know if loading hotter in order to get more speed down the stretch is going to negatively effect my accuracy?

Also, the rifle I am considering to buy is a new Savage FCSS with their new accustock. This is a gun that I can take hunting but I would think would also be accurate enough to shoot precisely at long range. I cannot afford a rifle better suited for bench rest or I would get one. However, is this sport model rifle comparable to any of the rifles used in competition in the slightest degree of accuracy?

P.S.
I don't mean to sound crazy, I just want to make a good decision on what I want to buy and be sure before I buy it. Thanks again!
Old October 8, 2010, 10:57 AM   #2
amamnn

I doubt that you would find anyone competing with that rig--but--here are some better places to ask that Q

http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

http://www.benchrest.com/

http://www.bench-talk.com/
Old October 9, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Jim243

Cb

To start out, 1) I like 150 grain bullets for 30-06 and up to 180 grain for hunting. 2) 30-06 is not really a compitition round now a days, most for long distance will use a 6mm BR or 6mm PPC or even a 243 for long distance shooting. Lighter bullets will travel faster and farther.

2) Depending on what you will be hunting and at what range you may want to look at a 300 Win Mag for both hunting and long range shooting.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim

Tags
30-06 , bech rest , savage