The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 11, 2009, 01:18 AM   #1
7mmWSM

Screw In Rifled Chokes

My grandson will be using his Mossberg youth pump 20 gauge for deer next year and I want to buy him a choke for Christmas. Right now the gun has a turkey X-Full choke and I don't have any experience with the rifled chokes which I assume are made to shoot sabot's. Do any of you guys use them and if so, Do they give good accuracy or is it hype? Thanks for the information.
Old December 11, 2009, 01:28 AM   #2
JackSparrow

They're designed for sabot slugs, yes. I'm sure they add a lot of accuracy when compared to shooting a sabot without a rifled choke, but it's still not likely to spin fast enough to keep it balanced for long distances.

You might just be better off getting him an IC or something along those lines and using rifled slugs through it. If you have the means available, I suggest trying both and seeing what's best for you.
Old December 11, 2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Doyle

I have never seen one that actually improves accuracy over shooting a standard foster (rifled) slug through an improved cylinder choke. Save yourself some money and use your least restrictive choke with rifled slugs.
Old December 11, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4
JackSparrow

I have seen in some guns that using Brenneke style rifled slugs are more accurate than Foster style, and other guns are just the opposite.
Old December 11, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

The Foster style slug kind of rattles down the bore. A Winchester slug mikes out at .735 at the base and .720 on the body, kind of loose . A slug that fits the bore will group better than one that just fits!

A Brenneke measures .750 on the wad. This will fit tightly and group much better, also the Brenneke have more energy than the Foster style of loadings.
Old December 11, 2009, 11:32 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I had one. VERY little advantage over matching the right regular slug with the right choke and the expense of saboted slugs is a little crazy. Just figuring out which slug is best could cost you as much as the barrel.
I sold mine.
Old December 11, 2009, 01:31 PM   #7
DG45

Let me get this straight. If I understand the OP's question correctly, he's implying there's a rifled "choke" out there that can be used on a smoothbore barrel to impart a spin to a sabot slug so you don't need a rifled barrel? Well, live and learn! I've never heard of that. I need to keep up with things better.

I've only used rifled slugs in shotguns; never a sabot slug. An ordinary Remington "Slugger" in my 26" IC barrel gives me an effective range of about 50 yards on a deer-sized target. I've never had a rifled barrel so I've had no use for Sabot slugs but I've heard that with a rifled barrel and rifle sights they can increase the effective range of a shotgun out to about 100 yards.

I know you can safely shoot sabot slugs in a smoothbore gun but I've heard that their performance in a smoothbore gun is no better than you would get with an ordinary Foster-type rifled slug (if it's even that good good) so why go to that added expense?. But, hey! If there's a rifled CHOKE that you can put on a smoothbore gun that'll impart a rifle spin to a sabot slug - well, heck, I never even thought of that! Where have I been? Tell me more!
Old December 11, 2009, 01:45 PM   #8
7mmWSM

They sell them. Check them out in the Cabela's catalog or website. They are double the cost of the standard chokes and I just have no experience with them as to their effectiveness. That's why I posted. I hunt with an NEF 12 gauge bull barrel fully rifled and with Remington Copper Solids it is VERY accurate having taken deer at 135 yards, and hit right where my range practice told me it should hit.
Old December 12, 2009, 10:39 PM   #9
nutty ned

I used one, the spin of the slug turns the tube in tighter; so, every few shots loosen and re-hand tighten the tube so it does not get stuck as mine did. I buggered the barrel trying to get it out and had to send the barrel back to the factory to get it taken out.
Just remember you cannot decide to switch to buck shot with that tube in the barrel; your pattern will be blown--- probably with bird shot as well. I never tried bird shot.
Old December 13, 2009, 12:16 AM   #10
Ruger4570

Several years ago my lifelong shooting buddy was actually making rifled choke tubes for one of the major players. I had many occasions to experiment, make suggestions and assist in the design.
After a lot of experimentation a couple of things became quite obvious.
Back then Fosters were pretty much all that was available..soooo. You fire a SOFT lead slug in your smooth bore and it reaches maybe 1200 to 1400 fps, all of a sudden you slam that SOFT lead slug into a rifled choke tube that is maybe 3 to 4 inches long. Mostly all the slug does is skid across the rifleing.
The groves and lands in the choke tube are far too small and light to capture a SOFT lead slug and reliably spin it with any accuracy. It is a fact though, ANY amount will stabilize a projectile MORE than no spin whatever.
The bottom line is, I guess from my several years of testing various rifled choke tubes is that any improvement is absolutely minimal to non existant.
Old December 13, 2009, 01:21 AM   #11
jrothWA

The screw-in rifle tube are better that nothing..

for using SABOT shell. The soft polymer sabot forms faster to the rifleing than the lead slugs.

The foster and brenneke use the same pricipal of a badmidton shuttlecock, having a heavy weight-forward nose and light rear.
The brenneke has the heavy nose but increase the length with the attached wad, they alwayed gave better accuracy from my slug barrels, but are a 100yd MAX range.