The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 20, 2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Bonhoeffer

Need help identifying percussion pistol

Hello - new to the forum although I've been reading threads and lurking for a while.

Just inherited this, don't know anything about it or where it came from. Looks like something out of the Ottoman empire. The mask on the barrel looks Greek maybe?

Any ideas what it is?

Old December 20, 2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I think you're probably pretty close with the Ottoman Empire, or somewhere in the middle east. It could also be Indian, possibly, with the thing that looks like a mask.

I've never seen a humanistic representation on a firearm made in an Islamic nation, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Figuring out exactly who made it can probably never be done.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 21, 2011, 12:56 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think it is European, not middle eastern or Indian, and that it was made as a firearm, not a fake tourist gun. The crown and DP (?) look like some Spanish and Italian marks but I can't pin that mark down. IMHO, the gun is much earlier than the percussion system, so either a conversion or a lock replacement would seem very likely.

Jim
Old December 21, 2011, 09:30 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

My first thought was "decorative piece", and I would still verify that the piston is actually connected to the barrel. But, as JK has remarked, it looks like an adapted flint lock, at least the lock plate seems to show marks of filling the hole left by the lock spring. Copying that would be unusual for a reproduction (so Indian makers are known to have copied stuff whether it made sense or not). If it's real, it could be worth a lot of money with that baroque barrel, but it needs a thorough restoration by a qualified person (don't just get the polishing wheel out).