The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2000, 04:34 PM   #1
David Blinder

I noticed that 3 #3 buck will fit perfectly into a .38/.357 shotshell. Has anyone played around with this? I'm scared to put it on a chronograph but it seems like the load should have a velocity of over 1000 fps and I'm guessing 3 50gr pellets would hurt and might be a decent load for self defense (followed up with hollowpoints in case they don't get the message). Any thoughts on this?
Old March 16, 2000, 06:34 PM   #2
Ricciardelli

It is a useless attempt. First of all a max load might get you 900 fps out of a 6" barrel, but chop off 200 fps for every inch shorter than 6".

Secondly, the spread on such a shot load is about 1" per foot. So at 7 yards (21 feet) your 3 pellets will show around a 21" grouping.

Now deduct around 100 fps for every couple of feet the shot travels before reaching the target.

Old March 16, 2000, 08:21 PM   #3
Cougar

Blunder,

I had a posting on this board a month ago or so that dealt with this topic....well, sort of....

Remington has (or used to) a 'Multi-ball' load for both .38Spl and .357Mag. These loadings have two 000 Buck balls (.354" diameter) held inside of the case, the last ball held in place by the roll crimp. The two 000Buck balls have a weight of 70 grains each, for a total payload of 140 grains.

I have shot a cylinderful of each to check out performance. The .38 was fired out of a 3" snub Taurus 85. The two balls printed about 1" apart at 7 yards, and about 3-1/2" apart at 25 yards. For the .357 test I used my 8" Dan Wesson, where the two balls printed about 1-1/2 inch apart at 25 yards and about 3-1/2 inches at 50 yards. At 7 yards they were one ragged hole in the target.

I would not hazard to guess at the velocity of either loading, but on the packaging of the .357s, they are described as 'Light recoil for controllable second shot recovery.' They feel like a normal .38Spl loading. They are further described as 'Soft lead balls have less ricochet and building structure penetration for improved safety.' Sounds like the perfect home defense loading to me!

This is what I have loaded in my 'bedside' gun (the 3" snub) for home defense purposes. I also have my .40S&W loaded with a full clip of 145 grain Cor-Bon I I were to need more power!

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
Old March 16, 2000, 08:34 PM   #4
Cougar

Blunder,

I looked back in the achives a month or so and brought back my original post titled 'Multiple Projectile Loads.' Check it out!

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
Old March 17, 2000, 07:37 AM   #5
David Blinder

Diametrically opposing viewpoints, I like it! Guess I'll just have to load up a few and see for myself. Thanks for the responses.
Old March 19, 2000, 06:22 AM   #6
Cougar

I wouldn't bother with the sub-caliber shot sizes (anything smaller than 000) because of accuracy concerns with handgun length barrels. Triple-ought measures pretty darned close to bore diameter of a .38/.357 so accuracy is surprisingly good.

If you read my other post, you'll notice that when I cut a factory round open there was no wad between shot and powder. The ball fits so close to the inside of the case that powder can't get around it anyway!

Good luck with working up some of these puppies! I bought a five pound bag of Hornady 000Buck balls so I can make more. All of my buddies want some for their bed-gun. Now to figure out a nice low-flash powder to use....