The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2006, 06:37 PM   #1
357shooter

looking for opinions

I am trying to come up with a load for my winchester 94'45.colt.I have had some good success with lead bullets for plinking,with average to medium loads.but now looking to see what this baby will do with some hotter stuff.I have a can of h4227 and a box of hornady 300 gr.xtp/mag bullets,but can't find much info.I have found a little info from cross referencing manuals ,poking around the internet.What do you think of this load? 300GR. xtp/mag under 18.7gr of h4227 for about 1200 fps with cor bon brass and cci 300 primers?I might try this in my old model vaquero too.Don't want to do anything dangerous so if you have any doubts about this load feel free to let me know.
Old January 22, 2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Ruger4570

I used to have a Win 94 in 45 also, great gun and I now wish I hadn't sold it in a fit of "dumb" I haven't "seen" loads specifically for the 94, but I had assumed that since the same gun was chambered for the 44 mag, it would certainly work safely for my hot 45 loads. I don't have the loads handy as I am packing my stuff to move and they are already burried someplace. I haven't tried 300 gr loads back then, but I had great luck with Hornady and Sierra 250 gr. slugs. I would think any loads you find for a Ruger would be fine. It was not uncommon to get 1 1/2" to 2 " groups at 100yds with them. The gun also made a great Coues Deer gun in the brush when I lived in Arizona.