The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
rebs

digital powder scale ?

How many of you guys use a digital powder scale ? Which one do you recommend ?
I have a Frankford Arsenal one from Midway that I bought on sale for 19.99, it has worked good until recently it needs to be re calibrated almost every time I go to use it. I am looking for something a little more reliable without spending a small fortune.
Old November 16, 2012, 01:07 PM   #2
603Country

I have two of them. One is a basic PACT electronic scale that just weighs. The other is a Lyman that throws the charge and trickles to the desired weight. I load using the Lyman and periodically check the Lyman with the PACT and with test weights. I started out years ago with an RCBS 1010, but when I started weighing cases I switched to the PACT for weighing charges also. Then I was lusting after one of the do-it-all scales from RCBS, Lyman, or Hornady. The Lyman was on sale for the lowest price and I went with that. It was a great decision. Much faster than either the 1010 or the PACT. But if you don't want to spend money on the do-it-all machine, I'm sure most any of the RCBS, Lyman, or Hornady basic electronic scales would do just fine.
Old November 16, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3
HJ857

If your Frankford scale uses a battery, then it will always be susceptible to drift as the battery loses power, which is constantly. I had something like that for a while and it was good if the battery was fresh.

I replaced it with a RCBS Rangemaster 750 and it's been a great scale.
Old November 16, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4
mmb713

I have the Rangemaster 750 too. It's much better than the balance beam scale it replaced that came with my reloading kit. I leave it plugged in and on all the time and it doesn't lose its zero. And it says RCBS on it so I know I'm covered if anything goes wrong with it.
Old November 16, 2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Creeper

For years I used a Dillon D-Terminator scale, which is very nice and accurate to 0.1 grain. 2 years ago I found a smokin' deal on a Denver Instrument MXX-123 for $195. It's rated to 0.02 grain... which means it's insanely sensitive, so you need to use it where there are no drafts.
I use the Dillon for most things, and the DI MXX when I'm feeling particularly fanatical.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:04 PM   #6
BigJimP

+1 on Creepers comments ....those are the 2 scales I use as well.

I keep the Denver Instruments inside a box - that I made for it - with a lid ....it helps with any air movement issues around it.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
I keep the Denver Instruments inside a box - that I made for it - with a lid ....it helps with any air movement issues around it.
I actually expected more to that... or maybe it just sounded that way in my head.

"in a environmentally stabilized munitions room - in the bombproof basement - in my subterranean weapons lair... in the desert - on another planet - with armed high security droids".
Old November 16, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
BigJimP

Does it matter that the box is all dovetailed...and made from Cherry...does that make it ok .....

.....and the lid fits - firmly --- and keeps it safe, and sawdust, etc out of it ( my shop ....doubles as my reloading area / as well as my woodworking woodshop )....
Old November 16, 2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Creeper

Quote:
Does it matter that the box is all dovetailed...and made from Cherry...does that make it ok
Give me a minute to find the appropriate response.............

Old November 16, 2012, 07:49 PM   #10
BigJimP

Ok,,,,,,,Ok .....

.....geeze, now I know what I look like in the morning looking for coffee.....
Old November 16, 2012, 09:07 PM   #11
browninghunter86

Jus keep fresh batteries. My FA scale does good for a long time and I can tell almost immediately when the batteries need replacing.

Look @ Gem Pro 250. Have not seen any bad reviews and the thing looks great and has great features for the small price tag. I will be picking up one for Christmas for myself.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:50 PM   #12
tkglazie

As always when these threads come up, I vote for the Gemini 20, available through Amazon for under $25. It measures to .02grains and repeats consistently and accurately. Good enough for me.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:13 PM   #13
BigJimP

Just be cautious on selecting a scale that will only read to 0.2 / most of them are plus or minus 0.1 ( so its kind of the same thing ) unless you meant + or - 0.2 which would be a lot.....

There are a lot of handgun recipes ...where the Minimum and Maximum are only 0.4 grain apart....

that's why I like the Denver Instruments scale ...so you know exactly where you are ....while the PACT scales are quicker / they're less precice...and by the way, last I knew, most all of the big name electronic scales ( for Dillon, RCBS, etc ) were being made by PACT anyway..../ the Denver instruments scale will tell you to + or - 0.02gr ...../ making it nice to know when you're between 4.2 and 4.3 are you on the low side or the high side....
Old November 17, 2012, 12:23 PM   #14
tkglazie

Quote:
+ or - 0.02gr ...../ making it nice to know when you're between 4.2 and 4.3 are you on the low side or the high side....
agreed BigJimP. I dont need the .02grain readout that I get with the Gemini 20 but it is handy for knowing if a 4.3grain charge is 4.26 or 4.34 for example. As long as you have a scale that settles quickly its a nice feature to have that extra decimel. Certainly not required.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:51 PM   #15
10 Spot Terminator

I have an RCBS 750 that I have had for nearly 5 years and have pretty much quit checking its accuracy against my 5-0-5 beam scale because it is never off . I havent even had to reset the zero. Point to note with a digital scale is not to use it when there is air moving in the house such as when the heater or ac is running and that they are setting on a very stable surface . RCBS has been phemominal in their customer service over the years for me and am confident should I ever start to have an issue with this unit they will take good care of me.