The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2012, 03:59 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Vicious Italians

I took a look at some 2012 Men's Skeeet Finals on youtube and one thing stood out. (It isn't clear to me which ones they were, but I beleive one was the 2012 International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) Shotgun World Cup held in Tucson and the other was the ISSF Shotgun World Cup 2012 held in Lonato, Italy.

To me it appears that there are two ISSF world cups and if anyone can explain what is going on, great.

What I noticed, though, was that each game began with introducing the 6 finalists. However, the Italian game also announced the brand of ammo and the model and maker of the gun the shooters used. The Tucson format did not. I beleive two were shooting Perrazis, three were shooting different model Berretas, and one shot a Browning.

Not too far into the finals shoot, the commentators pointed out that a Browning is just not in the same class as the other guns and faintly praised the Norwegian, who I beleive was Jasper Hensen, for making it work. Berreta advertising was plastered on eveyting.
Old June 4, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Browning although a very fine and well made shotgun is not in the same class as a Perazzi.

Check on your aucton sites and you will find that a Perazzi sells for more than a Browning.
Old June 4, 2012, 04:38 PM   #3
zippy13

IINM, Beretta acquired part of Perazzi a while ago.
Old June 4, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4
oneounceload

I do not think they have....YET, but Danielle is aging, and I have no doubt they will want to in order to prevent another country from taking it over. I know a gunwriter friend of mine has said several US folks had expressed interest in buying Perazzi..............

Of course, his old partner's firm could also buy it........
Old June 4, 2012, 04:54 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Browning although a very fine and well made shotgun is not in the same class as a Perazzi.
I realize that, but that was not the point I was trying to make, Jaguar. At the Tucson Men's Skeet Final no mention is even made of the guns used, but at the Italian Men's Skeet Final each shooters gun is not only announced when the finalists are introduced, the commentator later takes a shot at the quality of the non-Italian gun.

I beleive the Russian and the Greek shot in both World Cups.
Old June 4, 2012, 05:01 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Zippy, from what I have read your memory is correct but if someone on trapshooters is correct Perazzi bought that interest back.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:44 AM   #7
PJR

So Italian commentators at an event held in Italy that was heavily sponsored by major Italian gunmakers spoke positively when shooters used Italian guns to win the event. How shocking!

If it had been in America and the majority of shooters from other countries were using Kolars it wouldn't come as a surprise if the commentators pointed it out.

And the Italians weren't lying about the Browning.
Old June 5, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

When I saw the title I wondered if you had met my cousins....

Shotgun Sports magazine shows the winners' lists from The Grand National and lists the make of shotgun and ammo of each person who made the top three in each event.

Lots of Perazzis there, lots of AAs....
Old June 5, 2012, 04:01 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

First, the commentators made no comments during the shoot about the quality of any of the shotguns, except the Browning. That was made during the shoot. The only thing said about the other 5 finalist's weapons was to announce the make and model and that was during the formal introduction at the beginning of the competition in Italy.

That the Browning is not on par with the Italian guns wasn't my point. It just seemed a cheap shot, pun intended, at the sole non-Italian firearm. I notice that while the Beretta Gold E is a fine gun, would anyone say it is on par with a DT-10 or DT-11. For that matter, no one compared the Gold E to the two Perazzis. I beleive both were MX2000 models.
Old June 5, 2012, 04:03 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

Dave, What is an AA? As for Italilians, I will never foget Angela of my youth.
Old June 5, 2012, 10:05 PM   #11
zippy13

TKM, did Angela shoot WW Double-A shells?