The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 10, 2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Double Impact

brands of handguns

I have a question just for curiosity, not a brand or caliber war!

If you are like me and many others I am sure you carry and or shoot many different calibers and brands of handguns.

Out of all the different brands and calibers what is the brand and caliber that has given you the most problems thru the yrs?
And same goes for which are the most dependable?

I didn't make this a poll because there are just to many brands to list.
Old September 10, 2014, 09:09 AM   #2
Mastrogiacomo

It's hard to say which gave me the most problems because guns are very individual and somethings what may be a problem for me, isn't for another shooter.

I bought the S&W 442 twice and got rid of it both times. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it and it was painful to use at the range. My most dependable guns have had heft: Berettas: Vertec, 92FS Italian Stainless, Cheetah 85 nickel, Sig 228, Ruger GP100 3", SP101 DAO, S&W 686+ 4" - I can't say which brand didn't work for me because I generally do a lot of research on the pros and cons before I buy.

Laura
Old September 10, 2014, 09:19 AM   #3
lamarw

Bersa was my biggest nightmare. (Never Again)

Enjoyment from my Colts, S&Ws, Berettas, and Sigs.
Old September 10, 2014, 09:27 AM   #4
SPEMack618

I shamefully admit to conning Pop into buying me a Jennings .22 in the 8th grade as a reward for good grades. I thought it looked like a PPK.

nothing but trouble from that gun.

However, my Rugers, Glocks, and Colts have never failed.

I did shoot my Model 10 loose, but after repair and a diet of standard loads only, no more problems.
Old September 10, 2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Ricklin

Trigger

I think a lot of folks like the 1911 platform primarily for the single action trigger.

A long trigger pull and the weight of trigger pull has a significant impact on accuracy. Not to say you can't be accurate with a long and or "stiff" trigger, it's just easier with a light single action trigger.

Given a decent quality platform I think the next biggest factor is how well the handgun "fits" your hand.

I'm trying to take brand and caliber out of the discussion here. Caliber can make a big difference, there is far more flinching going on with the big boomers.
Old September 10, 2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

I can't think of any that have been a real nightmare. A couple that have had a few hickups though.
First, a High Standard HD Military that I have had for over 50 years when my Grandfather gave it to me. Seems I get failure to fire more often than any other rimfire I own. I only shoot CCI standard velocity in it, but get light strikes. I'm sure a complete disassembly, and cleaning might help. Or if that doesn't work, a new hammer spring would solve the problem.
Second is a Walther P22. It's pretty particular when it comes to what I feed it. Just have to use the right ammo.
Third is a Colt 1991a1 Compact. I bought it with the intention of using it for CCW when it started looking inevitable that we were going to get CCW in my state. It is accurate, feels great even with it being all steel, and heavier than what I eventually ended up with for a carry gun. But it just has way to many stove pipes, jams, and assorted functioning problems for me to trust my life on. Still a fun gun to shoot, and it does function properly most of the time. But most isn't 100%, and that is what I want in a CCW firearm.

Now on the dependable side. The choices that I do carry. Springfield Armory XD40 Sub Compact, KAHR Arms CM9, and Ruger LCP. All have been 100% reliable, and accurate through somewhere between 500 and 1,000 rounds each.
Range guns that have not given me any problems, Glock 20,S&W 645, Beretta 92fs, S&W 10-5 4" heavy barrel, Browning Buckmark Camper, Ruger GP 100 6" full lug, and now get ready for it............brace yourself gun snobs...............High-Point C9, Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly, and Tauus PT22 Poly!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; September 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old September 10, 2014, 10:29 AM   #7
triplebike

I have never experienced any failure of any kind from any of my 6 Beretta's 92fs's or my 5 CZ's. 10's of thousands of rds fired without a single failure , truly amazing firearms. Had problems with a Ruger GP100
Old September 10, 2014, 12:32 PM   #8
rock185

In semi-autos, I'd have to say Colts, believe it or not, have given me the most problems. Especially the .45ACP Series '70 Government and Gold Cup Models. I, or my gunsmith, addressed most of the issues, but one of my Series '70 Gold Cups was just hopeless. Unreliable AND terribly inaccurate. Sent it back under warranty and slide was replaced. Can't remember what, if anything, else was replaced. It was then reliable, but still inaccurate. Most dependable? Generally 9MM caliber, but thankfully too many brands to list. But multiple Browning Hi Powers, SIGs, Glocks, HKs, S&Ws, CZ 75s and a Beretta 92 come readily to mind....ymmv

BTW, while "name brand" revolvers are generally considered totally reliable, I have had to send Ruger, S&W and,IIRC, one new SAA Colt back with warranty issues over the years...
Old September 10, 2014, 12:39 PM   #9
BigJimP

Worst problem - in last 20 yrs on a new gun.....was a Les Baer 1911...it took forever to get it to run reliably ( 40 or 50 boxes )....
---------
Best new guns.....right out of the box reliable and ran/met all my expectations 100%:

Wilson Combat 1911's ( 9mm and .45 acp )
Sig Sauer X-Five ...and Sig 226's ( .40 S&W and 9mm)
Freedom Arms Revolver.. ( .357 Mag)
Old September 10, 2014, 01:22 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Smith 'K' frames and all double action pistols. Too big for my hand. The Desert Eagle was just funny.
Old September 10, 2014, 04:06 PM   #11
jmstr

Sorry, but the answer to this question revolves more around caliber than platform for me.

The one that gave me the most trouble was a S&W Model 410 [.40S&W]. Aluminum frame and compact. It was my first handgun.

I developed a horrible flinch and terrible trigger control due to the round and due to the fact the ranges I shot at had a closest allowed distance of 15 yards.

I remember being happy when I got 4 rounds to actually hit the 3x4 foot wooden backstop for the paper target!

It took about 5 years for me to retrain to remove that flinch-with a trip to the range every 3-4 months [all I could afford].

Now, as to the gun that was the best for me: Ruger Mark II 22/45 would have to be it. And the .22lr caliber is probably key.

It wasn't until I began using that on a regular basis that my skills began to improve noticeably.

I still use about 100 rounds of .22lr for every 50 rounds of any other caliber per range trip.

And now I am able to obtain 10-shot [or 8, if 1911] groups that my hand can cover at 10 yards. MUCH BETTER than hitting the entire 3x4' board 4 out of 10 times!

However, I don't know how much of that is gun and how much was caliber.

I still find anything in .40 to be less pleasant to shoot. And I still find everything in .22lr to be a hoot to shoot.

That said, I also have found a good single-action handgun to work better for me than DA/SA, Striker-fired or revolvers. 1911, BHP, 22/45, Buckmark all =

Last edited by jmstr; September 10, 2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old September 10, 2014, 04:29 PM   #12
SIGSHR

Zero experience with Bryco, Jennings, Raven, any of the "Saturday Night Specials". Only real problem handguns I have were a blued 4" Ruger Security Six. Accurate but had a problem with "wandering zero", finally sold it to a friend, he got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Bought an Ortgies .25ACP, tried to fit a spare slide to it...hahaha!. Bought a spare Colt Mark IV slide-small letters-for my Mark IV-original slide big letters. Had to use grinding compound to get the spare slide to fit.
Old September 10, 2014, 04:47 PM   #13
RickB

For functional reliability, rimfires have never been as good as centerfires, regardless of brand.
None of my rimfires have been as reliable as any of my centerfires.
Old September 10, 2014, 05:06 PM   #14
Hunter0924

Of the guns I have shot and reviewed I have had the most trouble from Kimbers. The ones I have had the least trouble from were Colts.
Odd huh? I have had a few issues with Kahr but nothing major.
Old September 10, 2014, 05:55 PM   #15
old bear

For Problems with auto-loaders I had a lightweight Colt Commander that never would feed or properly eject ammo of any style. After its' second trip to the Colt repair center I sold it, at a loss.

I've owned dozens of Smith and Wesson revolvers over the years and put thousands of rounds through them. The only problem I've had was a bad firing pin bushing in an early Model 60. S&W fixed it and I had it back in quick order. With the exception of the above M-60 all of my revolvers have been chambered in .357 Magnum caliber.
Old September 10, 2014, 06:28 PM   #16
blchandl2

Worst by far for me was the S&W SW9VE. This is from someone who owns a Jennings J-22. All of my others work very well. I tend to go for the 'not-so-brand-name' guns. Arcus, ATI, Taurus, KelTec, etc.
Old September 10, 2014, 06:37 PM   #17
baddarryl

Kel Tec P3at. Gone and don't miss it.
Old September 11, 2014, 12:15 AM   #18
Brotherbadger

I haven't found a gun brand that really gives me trouble(then again, i don't have as much experience as most on here), only certain mag companies(I'm looking at you promag).

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old September 11, 2014, 07:48 AM   #19
jasmith85

I have only had trouble out of a few new guns. I had a third generation Glock 21 and a forth generation Glock 19 that both threw brass at the shooter. I got tired of it and sold both of them. I also had a Kahr CW45 that had issues cycling. I sold it before the break-in period was over so I do not know if it would have worked itself out.

Aside from those guns every new gun I have purchased has been perfectly reliable to me. I have probably had more Sigs than any other brand(sp2022 9mm, sp2022 40, p226, p229, p224) and I have never had a problem out of any of them.
Old September 11, 2014, 09:13 AM   #20
DavidAGO

The only firearm I have really had a problem with was a Mitchell .45 1911. I got it because a patient did not have money to pay a bill and asked if I would take the gun. I did not do any research into the Mitchell. If I had to do it again I would not. It sits in my safe, I will not even sell it to anyone. Heck of it is that it looks good, is tight, has target sights, it looks the part. It does shoot accurately when it functions. Which is not often.

I will probably end up cutting it up into little tiny pieces.

David
Old September 11, 2014, 09:51 AM   #21
weblance

I had the most trouble of any of my handguns from a Ruger LCP. It simply would not run with anything reliably. I did an extensive "Fluff & Buff", and it got better, but every time I shot it, it would have some type of malfunction. I sold it with full disclosure, and have never looked back.

I have a Zip22 that has never made it through a shooting session without a failure. If I thought I could get what I paid for it, I would sell it, but I think I will just hang on to it because its so strange.

My Beretta Bobcat 21a is also a problem. Its not very reliable. It hasnt seen many rounds, so it might need to break in, but its been a disappointment.

I have many 22 pistols, and the Ruger Marks, the Buck Marks, the Beretta Neos, S&W 422s, Bersa Thunder, Umarex/Walther/Colt 1911-22 and PPK/S-22, and my Sig Mosquito, have all been 100% reliable.

All my Ruger P Series pistols, P90, 95, 97 and 345, have been 100%.
Old September 11, 2014, 01:35 PM   #22
WESHOOT2

since 1976

I have found my Ruger revolvers sufficient.

I have owned or own numerous other brands.

I, however, am loyal to none, except Caspian of course
Old September 11, 2014, 01:49 PM   #23
skizzums

I was surprised this didn't turn into a Taurus bashing thread

mine was a SCCY, horrible, awful experience that got a ride back to the factory 3 times and still sold it with a broken ejector. I cant say I had a reliability issue with any other gun. I had a Davis Industries(cobra I think now) in .380, it was actually very reliable although horribly inaccurate, the chamber was cracked and sold it for 20$ as is, I only paid 40$ so I didn't feel bad
Old September 11, 2014, 01:52 PM   #24
WESHOOT2

My back-up 'always' is a Taurus PT22, owned successfully since 1996 (1995?).
Old September 11, 2014, 03:10 PM   #25
bikerbill

A slight Taurus bash ... the only gun I've ever owned that gave me trouble was a Taurus 617, 7-round .357. It was delivered with too little clearance between the barrel and cylinder and a trigger that was gritty, to put it mildly. Rather than send it back, I took it to an excellent local gunsmith. For $85, if I recall, he fixed the barrel-cylinder gap and gave it a glass-smooth trigger. I still have the gun and it's one of my favorites; even got it a sweet custom-made leather paddle holster and carry it on occasion, tho it's a bit on the heavy side.