The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 11, 2014, 04:31 PM   #26
s3779m

Quote:
I was surprised this didn't turn into a Taurus bashing thread
Well here is a small bash,I have a 1911 which has had extractor problems( had to heat it and bend it) and hammer lock problems which I had to send back to factory to fix.(should have replaced with a wilson) and the blueing is awful. Tried to cold blue and we dont talk about the results. Don't know if I will ever trust it as a carry gun, but it is the most accurate pistol I own. Out shoots my sigs, cz,ruger and smith. And of course there is the ruger 22/45. Getting better at take down with it but still say many prayers first.
Old September 12, 2014, 04:29 PM   #27
KyJim

The brand that has given me the most trouble (a sampling of one) is Kimber. I've had pretty good luck with other brands but S&W has probably been the least problematic.
Old September 12, 2014, 04:57 PM   #28
jmr40

By brand name I've had more issues with CZ pistols than all others combined. I've had more issues with 1911's than any other type of gun, but not brand specific. At some time most all have had issues. The only brands of 1911's that have worked well for me are S&W and Kimber.
Old September 14, 2014, 03:17 AM   #29
Sport45

Most issues - Iver Johnson

Least Issues - Sig Saur
Old September 14, 2014, 10:50 AM   #30
Crankgrinder

I shouldn't post this because I believe by doing so ill be setting myself up. Knock on wood, again and again. I seem to have been very lucky so far. All my guns are shooters and have not had any problems that have not been attributed to myself or my reloads, which until recently have always been real greasy because of the bullet lube getting all over it inside the bags id put it in. Guns ive got consist of beretta, glock and ruger. Knock on wood.
Old September 14, 2014, 10:36 PM   #31
Jeff #111

I used to own an Erfurt 1916 military Luger P08. Very very balky when it came to ammo. Not unusual with the Luger design. I finally traded it for a Colt Lawman Mk III snubnose (.357 Magnum). Now that stubby little handcannon has never given me any trouble.
Old September 16, 2014, 10:40 AM   #32
Captains1911

Most problems - Kimber and Springfield Armory.

Least problems - Glock, Ruger, S&W.
Old September 16, 2014, 01:05 PM   #33
Dragline45

I have had bad luck with several major brands, quality control is down all across the board. I have had to send guns back to Beretta, S&W, and Sig. Both Beretta and S&W fixed the problems at no charge, Sig charged a damn premium.
Old September 16, 2014, 03:44 PM   #34
AustinTX

The only gun I've ever had trouble with is my Kahr P380. Four trips to the factory, two frame replacements, and every part but the slide replaced at least once. Just a nightmare.
Old September 17, 2014, 07:52 AM   #35
jr24

Lets see I've owned Browning, Glock, Springfield, SIG, Glock, Ruger, Remington, Taurus, Kimber and Rock Island. I think that's it.

Only real issues I've had (that weren't directly attributed to bad ammo) was with ONE Sig (p250 in .40). Traded it in and the new owner has had zero problems with it, so it was probably me somehow. That said, all the rest of my Sigs were flawless.

So, no real problems with any of the brands I've owned.
Old September 18, 2014, 05:05 PM   #36
Armybrat

AMT .380 Backup SAO.

Never ran right. Traded it off for a Kahr CW45 which is a great little hand cannon.
Old October 6, 2014, 11:00 AM   #37
diggler1833

I love slightly older revolvers when it comes to function and performance. I own a few Colts, S&Ws, and Rugers. I would not hesitate to pick up another if they came by at a good price.

That being said, I have handled two very crappy Ruger Blackhawks over the past couple of months. 1/8" of creep in a trigger is unacceptable, regardless of what the lawyers say. The one is a Super Blackhawk Hunter that my dad bought. In addition to the trigger, the rear sight had to be adjusted all the way to the right to hit center at 15yds, unsat.

I have also not had any luck with anything Taurus, they will not get any money of mine in the future.
Old October 6, 2014, 12:01 PM   #38
CajunBass

Never had a problem with any gun.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 18, 2014, 04:20 PM   #39
Snyper

I've had nearly ZERO problems as long as I bought good brands to begin with.

The 2 times I made mistakes was with a Charter Arms Explorer 22, and an AMT copy of a Ruger MKII

All my other guns have been much better quality, and most problems were cleaning/lubing or ammunition related.

The only truly gun related problem I've ever had is a Rem 1100 stopped working until I replace a 10 cent O ring

You get what you pay for most of the time
Old October 18, 2014, 04:22 PM   #40
Snyper

Quote:
Quote:
I was surprised this didn't turn into a Taurus bashing thread
I've seen far more problems with new Colt revolvers than I ever have with Taurus
Old October 18, 2014, 08:09 PM   #41
Luke1981

Here's my pennies, I have several of the big brands and several of the "on the cheaper side" guns. All in all, I have on only had trouble with 2 of my handguns. Any guesses? I bought a taurus 709 slim, and it shot the first 100 flawlessly. The next 300 was nothing but a nightmare. FTF, FTE over and over again. Sent it back, and half box into "repaired" gun was the same. Back to factory and returned "fixed" and same thing. It now sits in bottom of safe. I finally got my nerve up to buy another taurus product, the 38+p protector poly. This thing shoots great, until I got through 50 rounds. Now the cylinder will not open. Back to factory for a new cylinder release. I really want to like taurus, good looking and affordable, but I just don't trust them. It's a shame too, because these 2 guns are some of the most accurate ones I own.
Old October 20, 2014, 05:35 AM   #42
NWCP

I own HK, Walther and Colt among others. HK pistols are my working guns. No problems with any of them. The others are collectables primarily.
Old October 20, 2014, 05:43 AM   #43
thedudeabides

It's a tie between Sig's crappy implementation of their SRT which led to spring failures in two of my P22x guns, and the ongoing series of incidents with a 1911 Scorpion that had an out of spec barrel that was too tight for tolerances and resulted failure to go into full battery... something Sig had great trouble fixing, that I somehow managed to do in an afternoon with a Kart barrel.

I also had a P30L that was probably the crappiest gun I have ever owned, but my other HK's behaved themselves.
Old October 20, 2014, 01:41 PM   #44
Dirty_Harry

I have been blessed to never have an unreliable handgun. I had a Tokarev that would only fire every other shot, but I am positive it was the cheap ammo I was using.

I have owned a Springfield 1911, several Glocks, several S&W, 1 FN, a Beretta, and several HK's.

While it didnt happen to me, the extractor broke on my Glock 29 right after I sold it to the guy.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 20, 2014, 02:11 PM   #45
tallball

Most problems: a Sig Mosquito

Least problems: Ruger
Old October 21, 2014, 12:53 AM   #46
chesterfield

The one I have had the most problems with is a Ruger Single Six. Every other Ruger I own has been 100% reliable. My S&W's all run perfectly. I rolled the dice on an older Charter Arms Pathfinder that passed The Revolver Checkout (thank you Jim March) that has turned out to a great little shooter.
Old October 21, 2014, 01:10 AM   #47
Webleymkv

I've had the most issues from S&W, but that because I've owned a lot more S&W's than any other brand. When you've owned 11 guns from one company and no more than 3 from any other, the law of averages pretty much tells you which brand of gun you'll eventually have the most issues with
Old October 21, 2014, 04:02 PM   #48
lee n. field

Quote:
Out of all the different brands and calibers what is the brand and caliber that has given you the most problems thru the yrs?
And same goes for which are the most dependable?
Glock has given me no problems. Ditto Springfield's XD. "What one gun?", would probably be one of those.

Old S&W revolver, no problem (but not shot much).

Ruger very little (one gun out of 3, went in once).

Others, in retrospect, not so good. CZ-100, broke 3 times under warranty. Kel Tec PF-9, in once. Bersa UC 45, second breakage, need to order a part. One Taurus (out of two) developed a recurring problem. Charter Arms, 2 times in so far.

At the bottom of the pile, is the long gone, totally unlamented Jennings .22.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 21, 2014, 05:07 PM   #49
ch47gunner

An old Ortgies pistol in .25 caliber - couldn't handle the newer .25 ammo. Too bad, well made & would of made a perfect pocket pistol.

For modern stuff - a Ruger MKII Target 512. Constant stove-pipe, couldn't shoot a full mag without it jamming. I set it back in the safe, considered selling it, forgot about it.
I read an article on the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor and ordered one. I replaced the stock extractor with the VQ and then replaced the stock grips for a set of Ruger thumb-rest grips. Now it runs like a sewing machine.
Of course as soon as wifey saw how it shot & with the thumb-rest grips, she "liberated" it. Should see her on the reactive target range with the Ruger.