The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 17, 2012, 11:18 AM   #26
PigFarmer

Can you please

Send the model used to get this passed down south? I don't open carry but not having to worry about accedentaly showing turning into a brandishing charge would be nice in 110 degree summers.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:36 PM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

The TSRA has made some headway on the matter. There was a bill introduced last year, but it died in committee.
Old June 4, 2012, 01:50 PM   #28
tayronachan

In my small town, in northeastern North Carolina we are allowed to open carry without needing a concealed carry permit.
Old June 4, 2012, 06:56 PM   #29
kinggabby

We would prefer no permit required but we will take what we can get for now.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:12 AM   #30
kinggabby

With the hours ticking down people on both sides of the OC issue are getting antsy . People are up in arms over the issue ( pun not intended) . There are some in the 2A community that are against it . Claiming those who OC will be targets. The way I look at it we are all targets.And the anti 2A are worried about criminals walking around with guns ( not realizing they already have them) . Criminals don't care for anyone but themselves. So they target anyone these days. And maybe if they see people with guns they might think twice and scurry down the road. Will there be bold criminals who might risk it anyways ? Possible but I don't think many will. Will people be scared seeing guns on peoples hips? I can say I am very sure this will happen. People say I don't wanna scare the people who are not used to seeing guns. I say if you keep hiding them people will never get used to guns. I believe children need to see and ask questions. They need to know that LEO and soldiers are not the only good guys out there. I have had the discussion with my sister and BIL about this because my nephew is autistic. As I have posted before if we do not exercise our right they will be taken away from us. We need to not only fight to get our rights back but to also exercise them once we do. If more people would OC maybe we might be able to take back our cities and towns from criminals. Making their chosen profession as risky as it has ever been.As I have seen other people post that if you are legal to carry do it be it OC or CC do and carry everywhere you can do so legally .
Old October 31, 2012, 12:09 PM   #31
aarondhgraham

People are getting antsy,,,

People are getting antsy in Oklahoma,,,
Especially some of the liberal professors I work with.

Mostly it's because they won't read about the law,,,
One professor actually thought people would be allowed to OC in class.

What I worry about are the extremists in the OC community,,,
I've been approached to see if I want to participate in an OC parade,,,
My reply was something like, "Why do I want to rub OC in the faces of people?"

I'm simply waiting until the initial furor passes,,,
I figure in a month or so things will normalize somewhat,,,
I will keep concealing my handgun because I like being invisible.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 31, 2012, 12:42 PM   #32
Woody55

I am against open carry.

My wife will want a different holster to go with each of her outfits. Like purses and shoes. I'll go broke.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:08 PM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/us...-law.html?_r=0

Rather a mild article for the Times. However, you can open carry in New Jersey? Did it really say that? True? Huh?

Quote:
When the law takes effect, Oklahoma will become the 15th state to allow people to openly carry firearms with a license. Those 15 states include Utah, Iowa, New Jersey and Connecticut.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:18 AM   #34
kinggabby

Open carry now in effect for the state of Oklahoma. Not constitutional carry but it is a small step in getting our rights back.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:54 AM   #35
aarondhgraham

I haven't seen one OC pistol in Oklahoma so far,,,

I stopped at 4 places between here and work this morning,,,
I didn't see one person OC-ing a handgun,,,
No blood in the streets either.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 1, 2012, 01:25 PM   #36
hermannr

Aarond: They had an OC breakfast? (read about it on OCDO) at 00.00, 1 Nov. Media showed up, as well as quite a few OC'ers. Sounds like they got some pretty good publicity to me.

OC is a good thing. IMHO: It will be an easy go in OK because there was plenty of time and publicity to prepare for it.

As for the guy Ocing being a target...doesn't happen. Those that would do you harm, do not want you to be able to do them harm. They want easy targets that cannot fight back.

Insidence in ID a couple months ago. Criminal moved up to ID from CA. Tried to rob a 70 year old man and got shot for his efforts. He told the news paper, when he gets out of jail he is going back to CA where old men cannot fight back.

Now, if this 70 year old had been OCing, do you think this criminal would have even attempted to rob him? I think not. These kind of criminals are bullies and chickens at the same time. They do not want any chance of their target resisting in any meaningful way...I've OC'd for over 40years...never been mugged...including on S 2nd in Seattle.

Oh, May I add something for your professor Aarond: You can OC in any University in Utah...guess what has happened? There are no shooting insodences at Universities in Utah...yep, none. They only places you have mass shootings at universities, (or any other school or theater for that matter) is where weapons are not allowed, and where the person wanting to do others harm know he will not meet with any meaningful resistance.

Last edited by hermannr; November 1, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:42 PM   #37
Walter

Well, congratulations to all you Oklahomans on getting the open carry law passed and enacted. I'm envious, although I'm not sure I would carry openly myself. But I would certainly like to have the choice.

Maybe Texas will get with the program and get a law like that down here one day.

Walter
Old November 1, 2012, 06:42 PM   #38
Crankgrinder

I would like to see the carrying of firearms out in the open become commonplace once again as much as anyone else, but ill bet that if we get that down here then we will see many more 30.06 signs go up everywhere not to mention that the liscense requirement could turn into an excuse for cops to stop everyone seen carrying a gun and ask to see a permit thus shutting down the practice legal or not.
Old November 1, 2012, 08:42 PM   #39
hermannr

Crankgrinder: LE just stops you, the only reason is a license check...so illegal and worthy of a civil rights law suit. A few jurisdictions being sued, and loosing (they will, it's already been through court...random license checks are not allowed by the 4th and 14th amendment. Delaware v Prouse)
Old November 1, 2012, 08:48 PM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

The 30.06 sign problem is a real one. Not that many places have them and we don't need a wave of them for a fairly minor benefit (ducking for cover). That's the way I feel about it.

Of course, I don't support businesses being able to ban except for highly technical reasons but that's another diversion and debate.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:43 AM   #41
hermannr

IMHO: a business that is required to bow to laws like the ADA, and especially businesses that are open to the general public should not be able to ban any expression of a basic civil right, especially a fundimental right.