The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 4, 2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Kyote

Wolf brand ammo

I know, I know, just trying to find some cheap shootin' ammo to have fun with my AR. STAY AWAY from Wolf brand ammo. That is the filthest ammo I have EVER shot. It fouled my AR so bad after 20 rounds that the action had to be manually cycled. Shot some in my T.C. Encore and after 20 rounds, it looked like you poured a handfull of sand down the barrel. Jeeze, what a mess. You really need to scrub too. DO NOT buy this stuff!
Old April 4, 2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Don H

Was this regular steel-case Wolff or the new Wolff Gold?
Old April 4, 2006, 04:11 PM   #3
NedreckSavant

I'd heard good stuff about the new wolf gold, to the point that I'm considering getting some in .223...but otherwise it's stays AK food. Remember, russian ammo in russian guns, amurican ammo in amurican guns. Easy. And while we're at it, if someone's hearing this about wolf ammo and going 'really?', I should probably tell you not to get a m16 upper in 7.62x39. and don't get a .223 ak. If you wanna weenie bullet ak, get a 74.
Old April 5, 2006, 12:57 AM   #4
Mad Martigan

Sounds like you got the Laquered stuff maybe. The newer plymer coated cartridges don't foul the action the same way and aren't as dirty. I put 200 rounds through my 1911 this weekend with zero problems.
Old April 6, 2006, 06:58 AM   #5
mxwelch

Went to the range with a friend this weekend and he had some wolf .223 that was given to him. We both had brand new ARs. His FTF every round with the Wolf so I gave him some LC 55gr and presto, problem solved. I'd shoot it all day long in a SKS or AK but that's about it. Does Wolf use the same dirty powder in the gold label? It wouldn't matter if they didn't. They want more for their gold that I pay for LC or Radway surplus.
Old April 8, 2006, 07:14 PM   #6
JohnBrowning

My friends very american mini 14 and 30 fire flawlessly with wolf ammo.
Old April 8, 2006, 07:55 PM   #7
cuate

Wolf Ammo

And on the other hand my two .45 autos, Mini 14, also fire flawless with Wolf steel laquered cases. An aquaintance who legally owns a 1928 Thompson allows that his sub-gun has no problems with the same ammo.
Old April 11, 2006, 09:17 PM   #8
UniversalFrost

stay away from WOLF

You get what you pay for. I bought 200 rounds in .30 carbine and about 1 in 5 would not fire. I normally use remington UMC brand in the M1 .30 carbine, and have never had a problem, same with magtech ammo no problems (sometimes cheaper than WOLF). Also, wolf is steel cased (hard on chamber and mags), and berdan primed (not reloadable), and the powder is very corrosive!!

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 11, 2006, 10:43 PM   #9
Lycanthrope

Fired thousands of rounds and up to 500 at a time without cleaning in my AR's. Holds 1.5 inch in my best gun at 100 yards. This is with the new polymer (not laquer) coated Wolf. The new stuff is in a grey colored casing, the old stuff is green colored. The mild steel is not hard on chambers in my experience.
Old April 12, 2006, 07:34 PM   #10
5whiskey

no problems

Even the older wolf laqeured fires fine in my armalite m15. Had one FTE, and that's out of about 300 rounds. It depends on the rifle.
Old April 13, 2006, 10:28 AM   #11
FirstFreedom

I don't have any problems shooting Wolf - yeah, it's dirty, but just clean it when you get home. I like their chili, too.
Old April 16, 2006, 09:34 PM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
That is the filthest ammo I have EVER shot.
I mean, its filthy before you even shoot it! The last batch I bought, as I was unpacking and inspecting it, I noticed it was making my hands dirty. I poured a box of it on a towel, and there was quite a bit of dirt. It must just be packed in dirty conditions.

None of my pistols would digest their 9mm. Either my cambers are tight, or their tolerances are generous, because I get a LOT of stuck cases. So I swore off it in 9mm.

OTOH, my AK (SAR-3) has no trouble with their .223. Although it is the least accurate ammo I havve tried in it.

And I just tried their .308 in a couple of rifles and it shot more accurately than I expected. Seemed a lot cleaner, too.
Old April 21, 2006, 08:37 AM   #13
dfaugh

Shot thousands....7.62x39...9MM...22 Match Target....8mm

Wouldn't own a gun that was so finicky that I couldn't feed it whatever might be available in an emergency(also known as "Why I won't own an AR" )

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old April 22, 2006, 08:45 AM   #14
rll1931

wolf brand ammo

Does anyone know how much it will cost for the new wolf brand gold than the regular wolf ammo? I'm kinda looking for that and see how it works. I have had some customers like the wolf in some guns and not in others though. Depends on the firearm.
Old April 22, 2006, 12:04 PM   #15
Don H

Check out Cabela's - they seem to have a good selection.
Old April 22, 2006, 12:48 PM   #16
JR47

Wolf Gold is manufactured by Privi Partizan, of Yugoslavia (now in Serbia). They are an old-time ammo manufacturer. Hanson ammo was also imported from them.
Old April 22, 2006, 01:20 PM   #17
Movieguy84

Quote:
Check out Cabela's - they seem to have a good selection.
Do you mean of WOLF ammo, or other ammunition? What angers ME is that I went to Cabela's for some PMC Starfires for my .40 cal and they'd replaced them completely with Wolf's. I was a little pissed to say the least...
Old April 22, 2006, 02:25 PM   #18
JoshB

Get an AK if you want to shoot Wolf ammo! I've used it with my Romanian AK and my P14 and havn't had any problems. Never been a real big fan of anything that shoots 223 - I don't see any practical use for rounds that small!