The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 07:17 AM   #1
RazorbackMac

New Remington Versa Max Zombie Tactical

I have been in the market to purchase a Remington Versa Max for a while now. I'd like a Max 4 camo one but I can't justify the the extra money compared to the exact same gun in black. I have been scanning ads for the best price and Remington is running their annual spring rebate right now for $100 rebate on a Versa Max which means it's time to buy. Looking at a Cabela's ad, I see they now offer a Zombie tactical edition with 8+1 capacity, picatinny rail, over sized bolt release, sling attachment, etc. I don't really care one way or the other for the Zombie camo but it will be on sale this coming week for the price of the standard black Versa Max. I figured I would jump on it considering the accessories included at a sale price but when I went to look at one, the barrel said "2 3/4 or 3" I really need a gun that shoots 3.5" as well as the others which is why the Versa Max attracted me in the first place. Does anyone know if the Zombie Tactital is limited to 3" max or if that is just a standard barrel stamp? The guy at Cabela's said it would be limited to 3" like the barrel says but it looked like a 3.5" chamber. Any input would be appreciated. BTW, the black one is on sale as well for $1099 which is $200 (plus the $100 rebate ) under the MSRP so it would be a great time to get it if the other happens to be limited to 3". If only I worked at Cabela's and could get that 25% employee discount ...
Old February 9, 2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Virginian

If the barrel says 3", it is 3". All of the non zombie ones I have seen say 2-3/4, 3, & 3-1/2 inch on them. Remington must have done some extensive research and determined that 3" is plenty for zombies. At last, a scientific approach. That pink camo one is different, too.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:10 PM   #3
LetsKillDave

It does, in fact, take 3.5" shells.

Here's the catch: The Tactical versions will hold up to 8 rounds of 2 3/4" shells, so I think that works to 6 3.5" shells. The problem is that the magazine spring pressure would be too great on a fully loaded set of 3.5" shells, causing buckling. You can still load and shoot 3.5" like any other VersaMax, but Remington could likely say you voided your warranty if you do it.

Have fun!