The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2010, 12:56 AM   #1
youngunz4life

2.75" vs. 3" 00 buck

I was wondering what you all prefered and why when it came to your shotgun ammo? I have always used 3" 15 pellet 00buck for my 12 gauge, so I have always stayed with that. I just wanted to see which ammo people think is better: 3", 2.75", or something different 00 buck(or something different altogether). I have seen other shotgun debates on this forum before.
Old December 1, 2010, 02:36 AM   #2
bamaranger

kicker

Three inch anything kicks plenty and slows down follow up shots for me.

Its 2.75 in my pump, and my stubby coach gun even gets reduced recoil fodder, 'cause it will draw blood on your knuckles and cross your eyes w/ std 2.75.

I'm not small, and shoot plenty, they're just stout kickers.
Old December 1, 2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Franklin7X57

hunting or defense? Defense 2 3/4, for hunting I would use what patterns best.
Old December 1, 2010, 10:56 AM   #4
youngunz4life

I know the 3" is less popular and it does kick. I just have always used it, and the little discomfort doesn't bother me. After about 5-8 shots it is slowing me down a little, but not enough where I can't keep going.

franklin, I use the federal and winchester 3" for everything.
Old December 1, 2010, 12:02 PM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
I was wondering what you all prefered and why when it came to your shotgun ammo?
2-3/4" light TARGET loads - my favorite..........12 gauge, 3/4oz, running about 1250...........I have no need for anything 3", and am not interested in brutal recoil to enrich my ortho surgeon
Old December 1, 2010, 04:41 PM   #6
markj

I buy the 3 in in 00 buck, for bird hunting the good 2 3/4 in 6 works good for me.
Old December 1, 2010, 05:16 PM   #7
RoscoeC

Quote:
I have always used 3" 15 pellet 00buck for my 12 gauge, so I have always stayed with that.
I do it this way because I have always done it this way is rarely a very good reason for anything.

2 3/4" 00 buck with 9 pellets or even with 8 pellets in reduced recoil loads is more than adequate for HD scenarios. In my never to be humble opinion. Others will see it differently. That's what makes the world go 'round.
NRA Life Member
Old December 1, 2010, 06:49 PM   #8
clemsonbloz

As a hunter that uses buckshot only for deer hunting,, I can shed some light onto this..

2 3/4 00 Buck magnum's (12 pellet) are great rounds,, just getting harder and harder to find.. They actually fly faster than the 3'' magnum shells,, as they are both 4 dram eq charges usually.. I love the 2 3/4 shells in my browning gold, as it will hold (5) 2 3/4 shells, and (4) 3 inch rounds.. I can combo 5, with a 3 inch shell in the pipe, the first follow up shell a 3 inch, and the next 3 a 2 3/4 round..

3 inch mags have 15 00B rounds, and are abundant..

3 1/2 rounds hold 18 00B.. I have moved on to these rounds, as I purchased a 1187 supermag for my deer driving needs these days..
Old December 1, 2010, 07:54 PM   #9
SoilworK777

00 Buck pellets nominal size is .330, 0 Buck is .320, and 1 Buck is .300. 0 in a 2 3/4 shell has 12 pellets. #1 has 16. I feel that #1 is a great load for self defense, as it has the potential to do more cumulative damage than 00.
Old December 1, 2010, 08:04 PM   #10
oneounceload

There IS more to shotguns and shooting them than buckshot and slugs folks..............
Old December 1, 2010, 08:04 PM   #11
hardworker

I use 3 inch 00 when deer hunting because its easiest to find. 2 3/4 in shells have a little more speed due to slightly less lead. For defense, 2 3/4 no 4 buck is plenty.
Old December 2, 2010, 01:26 PM   #12
Irish B

I never thought there was a big difference until i shot both rounds back to back. I shot #4, #1, 00, and 000 all 2 3/4 and 3 back to back and there is a massive difference in force. I also agree that #1 shot is your best bet. It does far more potential damage than 00 or 000.
Old December 2, 2010, 02:32 PM   #13
147 Grain

For self-defense inside the home at short distances, the brand, choke, or size of #1 or larger buckshot isn't as critical as shot placement from a well-fitted shotgun. An open Cylinder (C) or Improved Cylinder (IC) choke with Low Recoil (LR) buckshot is preferred for quicker follow-up shots. #1 buckshot offers the best overall terminal performance. LE Agencies still prefer hardened 00 buckshot due to its superior penetration.

Personally, I use Federal's 9-pellet LE132-00 @ 1,145 fps with LR Flight Control (FC) wads inside the home. These hardened copper plated buckshot loads penetrate plenty and full-power loads aren't needed unless your semi-auto won't function reliably with LR shells.

http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...lbuckshot.aspx

Suggest you avoid Federal's Tru-Ball slugs due to their having significantly less penetration than even LR 00 buckshot (i.e. LE132-00 or LE133-00).

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Shotshell_Data_Book.pdf

Instead of the soft foster-style slugs, Brenneke's LR 1-oz. slug (Tactical Home Defense - THD) at 1,325 fps does a much better job for general purpose use outside the home.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/l_tac...e_defense.html
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/247.html
Old December 2, 2010, 04:20 PM   #14
NightSleeper

For HD, 2.75" is enough for me. Nothing wrong with the 3" of course, except for the added recoil.
Old December 2, 2010, 04:47 PM   #15
markj

In my house I could use 6 abd it would be fatal. The only way to me is down a hallway, both of our bedrooms are at the end of this hall. 10 ft, at that distance the shot doesnt have a chance to even open up, it is the size of a softball. So I like the 3in mag with copper plated no. 2 goose shot.

At room distance a 12 ga is a lethal weapon, ask my Granny she killed a guy was breaking into her house. 12 ga double probably had 6 shot.
Old December 2, 2010, 05:02 PM   #16

for deer hunting I use either 3" or 3.5" 00 buck. Ive had good results with both of these.
Old December 2, 2010, 06:03 PM   #17
mavracer

The only time I use 3" is steel shot for water fowl. home defense is 2 3/4" buck with slugs for backup.2 3/4" with 9 00buck has been very effective for a very long time. I'm not bucking that. pun intended
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 2, 2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Nnobby45

Low recoil LE 2 3/4" ammo works just fine on the street for every LE agency that uses it.

Federal Tac with FliteControl LE132-00 produces plenty of penetration with it's plated shot, faster follow up shots, and 8" patterns (not a misprint) at 25 yds. from both my Scattergun Techs. One a cyl. bore, one IC. Choke doesn't matter, since the shot isn't released until the wad has gone down range.

At 15 yds. I get a 4" "pattern".

At ten yds---one hole.

Older Fed. Tac without FliteControl begins to deteriorate at 15 yds.--good for home defense.

Hornady TAP 00 buck uses the same FliteControl wad (with same tight patterns) with 9 lead pellets.

Both have low recoil more consistent with trap loads.

Hornady also has standard power TAP ammo for semi-autos. I think Federal TAC has it now, also.

A student in our instructors class once told our former Federal firearms instructor (then with the NRA) that he preferred 3" 00 buck for SD and the instructor couldn't stop laughing, since some of the students in our class, many security personnel, had enough trouble handling standard pressure buck loads.
Old December 2, 2010, 07:47 PM   #19
clemsonbloz

I use 3 1/2 inch buckshot for self defense....

every saturday morning..
Old December 4, 2010, 04:47 AM   #20
henryfrapp

If you are talking home defense, I use 2 3/4 inch bird shot first three rounds followed by two slugs.
Old December 4, 2010, 10:47 AM   #21
147 Grain

Save the birdshot for the birds and use buckshot for the larger bucks invading your home!

The whole point of self-defense (SD) is to IMMEDIATELY stop the threat and a shallow wound from birdshot doesn't put as many odds in your favor as buckshot does! While still deadly at a slower pace, birdshot is more likely to leave the BG additional time to inflict harm (than buckshot). Use what you want for SD, as it's your life on the line. Most people want to put more odds in their favor and buckshot is more effective at preserving life than birdshot.
Old December 4, 2010, 10:48 AM   #22
147 Grain

"Birdshot, because of its small size, does not have the mass and sectional density to penetrate deeply enough to reliably reach and damage critical blood distribution organs. Although birdshot can destroy a great volume of tissue at close range, the permanent crush cavity is usually less than 6 inches deep, and this is not deep enough to reliably include the heart or great blood vessels of the abdomen. A gruesome, shallow wound in the torso does not guarantee a quick stop, especially if the bad guy is chemically intoxicated or psychotic. If the tissue crushed by the pellets does not include a vital cardiovascular structure there's no reason for it to be an effective wound.

"Many people load their shotguns with birdshot, usually #6 shot or smaller, to minimize interior wall penetration. Number 6 lead birdshot, when propelled at 1300 fps, has a maximum penetration depth potential of about 5 inches in standard ordnance gelatin. Not all of the pellets penetrate this deeply however; most of the birdshot will only penetrate about 4 inches."

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Federal's LE 9-pellet LE132-00 load @ 1,145 fps with LR Flight Control (FC) wads offers outstanding performance in and outside the home (civilian version is PD132-00). These hardened copper plated buckshot pellets penetrate plenty and full-power loads are not needed unless your semi-auto won't function reliably with LR shells or you need extended range in more open areas. The full-power version of 00 buckshot with FC is LE127-00 @ 1,325 fps.
Old December 8, 2010, 01:38 AM   #23
krazykeny

3 inch

These guys are thinking that the ONLY self defense is against a burglar.
What if you have to shoot back at Car in a drive by shooting?
What if the Badguy takes cover behind a Refrigerator, Washer, or dryer?

I load my Maverick pump with 2 - 3'" magnum #4 buckshot.
Then a pair of 3 " 000 buckshot then 2 rifled slugs.

Try to defend yourself against a gangbanger in a car,
and those low recoil shotshells will get you killed.

Any Buckshot is going to shoot through several walls anyway.
Even the low recoil shotshells will shoot through 7 walls.

Old December 8, 2010, 12:00 PM   #24
mpd61

Whatever

There isn't ANYTHING a 2.75 .12 ga load can't do...certainly in the buckshot arena.
The 3" and 3.5" are arguably a bit better in some limited applications like Waterfowl.
Old December 8, 2010, 12:16 PM   #25
oneounceload

Quote:
What if you have to shoot back at Car in a drive by shooting?
What if the Badguy takes cover behind a Refrigerator, Washer, or dryer?
Shoot back at a car is not self defense then.....and in my home, not even a roach can get behind any of my appliances, let a burglar

Tags
00 buck , mossberg , pump , remington , shotgun