The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 28, 2010, 09:34 PM   #51
TXGunNut

+1 on your last, John. Spoken by someone who's been there, done that, obviously. I don't like admitting you're right but I call that incurable optimism.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 29, 2010, 05:13 PM   #52
publius

I've seen it plenty of times. As far as wasting ammo, pfft. My first deer rifle was a M700 30-06. I loaded a full box of 50 Barnes-X bullets in college, and my first load was a winner. I made sure to sight in with a cold bore. I always check my zero before season. I have only had to fire 1 shot every year to check zero. Still dead on. I carry 4-5 165 Sierra 165's with me when hunting and always pull my Barnes out of the chamber and replace w/a Sierra for pigs, coyotes, etc. I still have close to a box of those original Barnes loads.
Old April 5, 2010, 02:23 AM   #53
bamaranger

2 stories

A good friend would "zero" his rifle at 25 yds, usually behind his rural house.

While riding to a public land hunt one AM, he began to question his zero, and dorked w/ his elevation adjustment on the road, in the truck. At daylight, in his selected spot, a fine 10 pt appeared, 75 yds or so away. Bang! Miss. The deer runs closer, say up to 15 yds appx, stops, and the guy shoots again and kills deer of lifetime. Spined it, nearly shot over the critter. go figure.

Story 2
I was at a F class TR match last weekend. I was spotting for a new shooter. He indicated he was unsure of his 300 yd zero (mid range, across the course match)

"OK, shoot , I'm on scope." Bang! Miss.

"What's your zero for the rifle?"

"100 yds"

"Shoot again" Bang, miss, but I saw the trace this time, 6-10 ft high, in the wood baffles above the back stop! That guy didn't have a clue.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:30 PM   #54
Buzzcook

I like to shoot my deer rifle at paper as well as bambi. I tend to notice when it goes out of zero.