The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 26, 2009, 10:13 PM   #301
bbqbob51

All kinds of 115gr FMJ 9mm Winchester today. $19.98 per 100, they had so much it was in multiple locations. I bought one box. They had no 38spl or .380though.
Old June 26, 2009, 11:05 PM   #302
redrick

There was none around Chesterfield VA. @ 1600. It would help if you gave a location.
Old June 26, 2009, 11:18 PM   #303
got_the_itch

Quote:
There was none around Chesterfield VA. @ 1600. It would help if you gave a location.
Yes, please do. I've tried every store within a 20 miles radius. (5 locations) NOTHING! Just the one box of .357 sig as I indicated earlier in this thread. But finding out the location will at least let me know if it's working its way towards Michigan or not. Try calling any of these numbnutz and asking if anything is en-route. Pffft! Even if they info was available to them, they probably couldn't or wouldn't be able to do it.
Old June 26, 2009, 11:36 PM   #304
bbqbob51

Augusta, Maine. I realize that not all stores have the same inventory but I just checked in at Gunbroker and people are bidding $150+ for 500 rounds of the same ammo I bought today. 500 rnds at Wally World is $100. It makes me wonder if they check the stores or they truly cannot get what they need at regular prices.
Old June 27, 2009, 11:16 AM   #305
ninjatoth

A Newspaper article from my area

Print | E-mail | Comment (3 comment(s)) | Rate | Text Size
Ammo delays — not crisis — seen; concealed weapon requests jump
By Kelly Dame
of the Daily News
[email protected]
Published: Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:16 AM EDT
Regardless of the cause, local law enforcement officials are feeling the pinch of an ammunition shortage and reading more paperwork with a near triple increase in applications for concealed weapon permits.

“It’s taken several months for us to get our (ammunition) orders filled,” said Midland Police Capt. C.J. Prinzo, adding it is the same type being used by the war-fighting U.S. military.

“We have a supply of practice ammunition and plenty of duty ammunition,” he said.

And, depending on the skill level of three new hires, the department might need to alter training procedures, Prinzo added.

Delta College might have to do that, too, after the next police academy, said Mike Wiltse, director of public safety and training there.

“We purchased all of our ammunition approximately one year ago, before the shortage came into effect,” he said. “So we will have enough ammunition for our next police academy.”

The shortage is “a big deal” for Delta, he said. “We supply the ammunition” used by recruits, who are asked to supply their own firearms — 9 mm or .40-caliber handguns. “It is a concern.” He added that at a recent directors meeting, attendees were asking for extra ammunition due to the short supply and high cost.

When asked what happens after the year supply runs low, Wiltse said conducting more training using AirSoft pistols — which is already done indoors in different positions including around corners, standing and crouching — is an option.

Shooting is important to the recruits, who need to fire about 1,000 rounds to meet qualifications for Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards, or MCOLES, which is required for them to become law enforcement officials in the state, Wiltse said.

Midland County Sheriff Jerry Nielsen said his department has been able to get around the shortage by ordering ammunition early.

“It’s difficult to get,” he said, adding the orders are slow to come in. “We’ve been proactive about it, ordering more than we usually do.”

He said he doesn’t know the root cause of the shortage, but pointed out that applications to the county gun board from residents wishing to be permitted to carry concealed weapons have risen sharply recently.

A check with the Midland County Clerks Office showed there have been 302 applications to the gun board from Jan. 1 to Wednesday, and only 110 applications in the same time frame during 2008. Those numbers include new applications as well as renewals, Midland County Prosecutor Mike Carpenter said.

Nielsen said some of the applicants are asked to attend the gun board, conducted once monthly, to answer questions about their applications or to make sure background checks have been completed on the right people, and that those numbers also have increased. County clerk records show 47 applicants were asked to attend the July 2008 meeting, while 74 have been requested to attend next month’s meeting.

The process no longer requires residents to prove they need a permit to carry a concealed weapon; thus applications have no questions pertaining to the motivations of the applicant, Carpenter said.
Old June 28, 2009, 11:11 AM   #306
m&p45acp10+1

Temple, Tx

Wall Mart had 8 boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm, several boxes of .40S&W, and several boxes of .357 mag WWB. as of 10:45 AM this morning. I bought the last 3 boxes of .45 auto at $14.95 per 50.
Acadmy spotring goods has a good stock of .44 mag, .32 auto, .25 auto, and .40 S&W all listed for acadmy were 6 boxes or more of each.
The local gunstore has a good supply, but they are expensive compared to Wal-mart and Acadmy. Wolf .45 steel case were $23.50 for 50 rounds. Brsss case Agilla was $25.99 per 50.
Old June 29, 2009, 10:48 AM   #307
got_the_itch

At least it seems to be popping up here and there. Good sign at any rate. I'm hoping your in the MI area. (Wishful thinking)

Too bad about the "Wolfs" though. Nobody around this neck of the woods will let you use that stuff.

EDIT: Just called my local WW.

<me> Did you guys get any handgun ammo it
<WW> We sure did, whatchya lookin for?
<me> 9 & 40 preferably
<WW> Hold on.... lemme check.
ause:
<WW> Man.... its all gone! We had 4-5 full stacks this morning. Sold out in a few hours.
<me> %&^&^*%%^

LOL
Old June 29, 2009, 01:51 PM   #308
christcorp

Yesterday; our walmart had 45acp fmj and HP; 40sw; 41mag; 44 mag; 9mm, 22lr. Last weekend, I saw 32auto, 9mm, 380. Our local shops have pretty much all calibers between them. Some have 380, some don't. Some have 45acp, some don't. But between them all and Walmart, all ammo is available. I won't even try Sports Authority because they are gougers and skanks,
Old June 29, 2009, 01:56 PM   #309
1911A1Bob

My local WallyWorld had several (12+) boxes of UMC .45 ACP FMJ last week and I picked up a box to try. Today they had about 6 of the WWB 100rd boxes (I just bought one), several boxes of WWB .40 S&W, some Speer Lawman .45 ACP, and a few other things they'd gotten in yesterday morning. Maybe things are easing up a bit? We can hope, I guess.

"...Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."
Old June 29, 2009, 05:03 PM   #310
res1b3uq

ammo

I picked up a box of 9mm at the Brownwood, Texas WallyWorld Friday. It was Federal Champion? I never heard of that line in Federal, except in .22. It was only 10.25 for 50. I was happy to get it, never mind the brand.
Old June 29, 2009, 08:52 PM   #311
rosebu99d

seems like the walmart here in harlingen cant seem to get any 45 or 9 ammo or if they do its only a few boxes...... and it goes like magic....usually find good supply at academy or a few of the local stores....
Old July 1, 2009, 01:36 AM   #312
rc

Ammo scalpers..arg

I saw a guy in a walmart today with 18 cases, that's 180 boxes of shotshells. Now I'm tired of going into gun stores and seeing $5/box ammo marked $7.99 or even 9.99 per box. This is totally rediculous. The sporting goods guy then proceeded to sell this joker the last four boxes of WWB 40 cal. I'm not a big fan of rationing and rules but it seems Walmart needs to put a limit of 10 to 20 boxes for shotshells per day to discourage this kind of buying behavior that I do not believe is for personal use but resale. 18 friggin cases... damn!
Old July 2, 2009, 08:55 PM   #313
skoro

My local Wal-Mart has been bare shelves for months now. But I WAS able to find some WWB 45acp for the first time anywhere since March at Sports Authority. They had TEN boxes on the shelf. I just bought two, along with two boxes of 38spl.

Maybe the lunatic fringe has finally maxed out their credit cards.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:46 PM   #314
Deaf Smith

Plenty of ammo on the shelves now. I'm seeing Remington 550 count .22 lr boxes, .38 spl WW value packs, 9mm, .40, .357 Sig,, .45 ACP and .223 100 round value packs.

I hope that becomes normal. And Wal-Mart has not tried to scalp anyone with prices!
Old July 5, 2009, 10:04 PM   #315
jimmythejug

The Wal Marts in PA that I frequent keep selling out of 9mm. Apparently, one guy keeps stopping in; I'm told he's there every morning before the department opens. This jackass is really annoying....and I doubt that they are sticking to their posted 'Six ammo items per customer' policy, as they are getting 20 or more boxes and I'm pretty sure he's getting all of them. It's p*ssing me off.

He probably owns a gun shop.

I'll be happy when this is over.
Old July 6, 2009, 06:57 AM   #316
Jkwas

Went to Walmart yesterday. 0 ammo on the shelf. They don't even have a spot cleared away for handgun ammo anymore. Clerk said a few boxes come in here and there and then they're gone. I've stopped shooting until I know I can replace what I have.
Old July 6, 2009, 07:16 PM   #317
got_the_itch

Quote:
I've stopped shooting until I know I can replace what I have.
My issue with this for the most part is.... I can find ammo for my .40 s&w's, and my 9mm luger's. Any given moment at my local FFL shops. There's 2 of them within a 10 minute drive. It's just the cost that's got me all up in arms.

9mm lugers - around 18 bucks a 50 rd. box for FMJ 115gr. plinkers
.40 s&w - around 23 bucks a 50 rd. box for FMJ 165 or 180gr. plinkers

Thats a far cry from Wally Worlds:
8.97 for the 9mm
12.47 for the .40

Not much in the lines of SD ammo. But I do keep a 50ct. of each on hand at all times for each caliber. And thats what I'm sittin on right now. But those were around 35 bucks a pop as well. (Speer Lawman) Outrageous!!!

So replacement technically wouldn't be a problem. It's just at a cost one is willing to pay to plink. I've recently bought a couple new pistols. The first couple times out, money was no object. I was gonna shoot'em no matter what!!!! Period!!! LOL But that novelty wore off really quick. When your considering a range visit costing you in excess of a 100 bucks a pop. And thats if your not really having fun. I'm not one for the 1 shot ever 5 seconds range. The one range I got to has a set of 6 metal hangers, and some zombie poppers. It's pretty fun whackin through those. And it also chews up a 15+1 really quick.

One thing I haven't found anywhere is .380. Not even reloads at the FFL. I've seen some online in 50ct. I think. But if I have ammo for my others, I cant see spending a small fortune for a box or 2 at an online seller.
Old July 7, 2009, 05:47 PM   #318
finfanatic

Walmart Ammo today!

I had to get some drinks for work today, so I went by my friendly neighborhood Walmart about five to seven this morning. I thought I may as well check the ammo counter while I was there, and glory-be!!! they had plenty of the WWB 9mm 100 round boxes and 4 boxes of the WWB 38 special.

I had to search for the salesman, but I told him I wanted all 4 boxes of the 38.

He said, "I think there is a limit."

I then noticed the limit signs. Turns out they are now limiting a person to 6 boxes of ammo purchased per day.

I still haven't seen any of the WWB .45ACP though.
Old July 10, 2009, 05:54 PM   #319
got_the_itch

Fellow Michigander's keep your eye out.... I've been seeing multiple WW's in the the Macomb/Oakland county area's with quite a bit of 9mm and .40cal I've managed to nab 600 rounds of .40 and 300 rounds of 9mm.

Most of the stock they are getting seems to be "Federal Champion" in 50 round boxes. However, they did have a smaller shipment of the Winchester 100 round boxes of .40. It was about 4 bucks more than the equivalent in the Federals.
Old July 10, 2009, 06:56 PM   #320
B. Lahey

I went to the Walmart by my house the other day not expecting to find much. They had some Federal .223 valuepaks, so I got a few. Then when I was checking out the guy said:

"Just got in some more ammo we haven't put out yet. You need anything else?"

So I was able to get my filthy paws on three whole boxes of 9mm Blazerbrass! I can shoot my HiPower again. Yay.

I had found some S&B on the interwebz, but that garbage was sticking in the chamber. The ammo was so terrible I thought my extractor was broken, but no, it was just the awful ammo.
Old July 10, 2009, 08:22 PM   #321
JohnRaven

2 days ago my parents we're at wall-mart and my dad called me.....
He said they have .40!!!

He picked up a 100rnd value pack of winchester white box...
I picked up 4 boxes of blazer brass for $12.47 a piece. They had a total of 6, I left 2...

PS, The boxes I picked up were re-labled FEDERAL, but they were exactly the same as the Blazer Brass...

Any one know anything about this????
Old July 10, 2009, 08:51 PM   #322
smoke63b

I scored 5 boxes of WWB 9mm today at my local wally world. I can actually practice now AND shoot my new gun lol. I only had my defense ammo left before today
I'm still going to see if I can pick up some more in the near future. Would be good to have a small reserve so I can actually go shoot when I have time.
Old July 11, 2009, 03:53 AM   #323
Regular Joe

Las Vegas. Very iffy, but strangely enough, I've been finding 12 ga. slugs at Wally's. Nothing else. I'd rather not have to rely on the shotgun, but I could certainly do worse. My other stocks are OK, as long as I don't shoot anymore.
Reading around the 'net today, I see that things are expected to get worse, and the day keeps coming closer. Keep your reserves.
Old July 11, 2009, 10:20 AM   #324
Steeler Fan

Quote:
The Wal Marts in PA that I frequent keep selling out of 9mm. Apparently, one guy keeps stopping in; I'm told he's there every morning before the department opens. This jackass is really annoying....and I doubt that they are sticking to their posted 'Six ammo items per customer' policy, as they are getting 20 or more boxes and I'm pretty sure he's getting all of them. It's p*ssing me off.
You can bitch & moan, or you can do something about it.

1 - Get there before he does.

2 - Complain to the store manager about adhering to their own policy. If you don't get any satisfaction from the manager, ask for the regional manager's name and contact information.
Old July 11, 2009, 11:40 AM   #325
Inspector3711

Picked up two boxes of Blazer Brass 180's last week at the Covington WA walmart for $12.79 a box. I should have bought four but the budget is tight. He only had four left after I bought mine.