The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2008, 08:50 AM   #1
jclayto

Upgrading from Lee Turret to Dillon 650

I just purchased a complete 650 set up to replace my Lee Turret system.
I do not have the item in hand yet, but will in the next week or so. I think in the mean time I am going to get my cabinet builder friend to help me put together a new loading bench.

I know this is vague, but do you have any recommendations for size of bench? I would like to keep it as small as possible, but large enough to be usable? I would like to have room to comfortably house the Dillon on the strong mount, as well as my electronic scale and have a little room left over to work with. My main concern is since I don't know how big this new machine is, I am not sure how deep (front to back) it should be.

Do you guys like the 650? This one is coming with lots and lots of accessories, sounds like he has everything except the powder check. I am really excited that it's coming with the case feeder. Does the case feeder seem to work ok? Anything I need to look out for?
Old November 23, 2008, 10:27 AM   #2
arizona98tj

A quick session with the tape measure indicates a footprint of about 18"x18" is required for the Dillion 650. IMO, you can't have a large enough reloading bench....just like you can't have a large enough gun safe. I don't have a case feeder on mine....it may change the footprint measurement somewhat.

Here is a photo of the bench in my reloading room....with the 650.

Old November 23, 2008, 07:30 PM   #3
D. Manley

My only comments (other than, "congratulations") is to stock up on components, them 650's are hungry....
Old November 24, 2008, 07:51 AM   #4
jclayto

Thanks guys, I am really excited and I was able to help out a great cause.

Some friends of ours are in the process of completing a International Adoption. Due to somethings coming up they are having trouble getting all of the money together before the Dec 31 deadline. I had a guy contact me offering up all of his reloading stuff and will be donating all of the money to the family. I get reloading equipment, the family gets a large donation, and my wife doesnt kill me since the money is going to a cause.. win win right?

Is the powder check system worthwhile? I believe he said that was the only thing he was missing.
Old November 24, 2008, 08:46 AM   #5
BeeGee

Dillon XL650

jclayto, Hi and congrats! I have a 650 and have been using it constantly for years. I have used single stage for years but decided to go to progressive and havn't regreted it yet.
The best thing about Dillon is their "no BS warrenty" and it works too. I have had a few breakdowns over the years(very few) and most were my own stupidity.like breaking the follower rod for the primer system.They sent me a new one N/C. They are always there for tech help when you have problems understanding what's wrong and very knowledgable.
As for the powder check system ,I have one but don't use it very often because some powders like H110 don't seem to hold up the sensor rod very well due to H110's little round ball type powder . I just position myself so I can look down into the case as it goes by and can see if I'm over or under on the charge.
The Xl 650 can load up to 800 rnds / hr but I have never attained this production speed. I'm not saying one can not, I just keep it around 400-450 / hr so I can watch closely and get great results.
Have fun, concentrate on your work and you'll do fine. PM me if you ever want to discuss techniques or problems. You made a great choice!!! BeeGee PS: these are great and would suggest them, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=116802573. I ordered them and "what a difference! BeeGee
Old November 24, 2008, 09:25 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

after a few million

Bolt it to the Earth's core, regardless of bench size; bigger is better (ensure plenty of room on its left, so you have a place for bullet bins and any required handy tools).

GET THE POWDER-CHECK system (I have ten left; all work perfectly).

I have mine mounted so I can sit while running it; I use folding chairs (because I break their welds from the resistance).

The roller handle is mandatory; ergonomic delight.

My case-feeder has worked great, with every handgun cartridge I load(ed).

Mine is mounted to pressure-treated lumber mounted to my production bench. My bench-top is carpeted.
(I have two benches).

One tip: Stop and investigate if seeming undue force is required.
Old November 24, 2008, 06:13 PM   #7
BigJimP

As far as depth - you want it located so the press is near the front of the bench - so the handle clears on the downstroke. A standard height and depth ( the same as a standard kitchen cabinet ) is fine.

Make sure you take into account the height of the case feeder ( so you can still fill it with brass ).

To me the Powder Check option is a big plus / and not using it on the 650 makes no sense because that is your best check against a squib round or a double charge ( if a die comes loose, or anything happens, that will give you your first indication of a variance in your powder drops ... and I think that's a big deal ). Even with it installed, I still check the 1st 10 cases whenever I start up the press, and check about 1 in 10 as I run the first 50 or so / if everything stays dead on / I check about 1 in every 25 or so - with a scale - but having the powder check working and adjusted properly is a great safety feature.

I wouldn't recommend loading without it ( you've already spent the big money on the press and case feeder / why not another $ 66 on the powder check ...). They aren't great photos - but a photo of my 650 and case feeder is attached. I'd buy the same press again ( if that matters ).

http://www.Attachment 38672.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38478&d=122711653

Last edited by BigJimP; July 24, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old November 25, 2008, 06:43 AM   #8
cnjaxx

I have, and operate a 650. It is one of the finest presses on the planet. You can load thousands, and thousands of rounds a day with it. It is an extreamly fast press. I use mine to load 30-06, 308, 243, 25-06, and 270. That keeps me from making conversion changes. The other calibers, I use the 550s.

You have to keep in mind, that there is a learning curve, when you first start with the 650. Sometimes it can be frustrating. But after you learn what that press is all about, you will be amazed at what you can do with it.

Welcome to the Blue Coolaid Club